Antique fishing tackle

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
1badf350

Antique fishing tackle

Post by 1badf350 »

Hi all,
Besides firearms, I also collect antique fishing tackle. Mostly 1930s-1950s Penn reel and big game tackle from any maker.
Does anyone else here do the same?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Antique fishing tackle

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't, but I do have a 1920's bamboo rod stashed away that belonged to a neighbor. Nickel plated brass hardware, no idea who made the reel, it's buried deep in a closet someplace.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
1badf350

Post by 1badf350 »

If you post pics one day i might be able to help you identify it
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I have a few Penns and one knock off that looks like a Penn. Also have a Garcia/Mitchell and a huge Pflueger exactly like the reel that Ernest Hemingway used. Thing weighs a ton !! I build rods, well try too anyway, I'm still a rookie. But I plan on making a rod like what he used, took pics while visiting his house. Love the Florida Keys and saltwater fishing. 8-)
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
1badf350

Post by 1badf350 »

JoeR wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:11 pm I have a few Penns and one knock off that looks like a Penn. Also have a Garcia/Mitchell and a huge Pflueger exactly like the reel that Ernest Hemingway used. Thing weighs a ton !! I build rods, well try too anyway, I'm still a rookie. But I plan on making a rod like what he used, took pics while visiting his house. Love the Florida Keys and saltwater fishing. 8-)
Joe I’d love to see pictures of the Pflueger. Is it a Templar by chance?
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

1badf350 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:19 pm
JoeR wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:11 pm I have a few Penns and one knock off that looks like a Penn. Also have a Garcia/Mitchell and a huge Pflueger exactly like the reel that Ernest Hemingway used. Thing weighs a ton !! I build rods, well try too anyway, I'm still a rookie. But I plan on making a rod like what he used, took pics while visiting his house. Love the Florida Keys and saltwater fishing. 8-)
Yes it's a Templar 1420 1/2. I took a couple of bad pics, will have to research how to post them. Copy and paste didn't seem to work. /
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

JoeR wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:48 pm
Yes it's a Templar. I took a couple of bad pics, will have to research how to post them. Copy and paste didn't seem to work.
When you go to post, scroll down a bit and you'll see the Attachment option, click on it and you'll see the Add Files button, click on it and navigate to where your pictures are and select them to attach to your post. See pictures below.

IF you can't get it to work for you, or need to resize the pictures email them to me at FFuries@comcast.net and I'll post them up for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1badf350

Post by 1badf350 »

The Templar reels were known for having plastic handle knobs that melted. I suspect yours suffered the same fate because someone has replaced the knob with a Penn Senator knob.
It’s still a cool reel