new rifle

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
stacey

new rifle

Post by stacey »

This is my first post. I just bought this SKY marked rifle. The biggest problem I can see is the previous owner rattle canned it. I plan on trying to restore this as best I can and strip the paint off of the stock and metal. This picture is all I have at the moment. I know this is Sako rework? any help with this identification would be appreciated. The marking on the side is boxed SA. I'm trying to soak all I can from this site in. I feel like I am drinking from a fire hose of information at this moment. Thanks
sky action.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: new rifle

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Pictures of the whole rifle would help with the ID. Paint thinner might take some of that off the metal, the Finns used an oil finish on the wood, not the shellac of the soviets so what you would use to strip paint off furniture may work on this also. I am not an expert on removing paint from wood while trying to retain the original finish under it, proceed with caution.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Take it all apart and use lacquer thinner on the metal parts, that should dissolve the paint. I would try mineral spirits and a rag on the wood. You want to get the paint off without sanding or bleaching out the wood. Test it in a small out of the way spot first. What kind of moron paints a rifle like that??? Good luck. BTW, I think it is a M28/30.

https://www.athlonoutdoors.com/article/ ... nt-m28-30/
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Dang it, Bubba at his finest again, he never fails to piss me of with his handiwork.

Follow the advice from Millman, and just take it slow and easy on the stock. Keep us posted with updates on how your rescue it doing.

Oh before I forget, welcome to the RMNF and the madness. Milsurp weapons have a nasty habit of multiplying when you aren't looking. In other words prepare to be poor, and you'll be surprised how many recipes for dressing up Ramen are out there.

Quick note, don't know if you seen/found the Knowlwdgebase section of the forum? Lots of good information there for you. If not here is the link for it, it's also accessible by clicking on the blue Knowledgebase button.

https://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/ ... index.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

They probably did zero preparation on the wood before buggering it up. That will make the spray paint come off easier. Don't take sandpaper or steel wool to anything. Try mineral spirits on the wood first, it is less agressive than paint thinner. If you have to go with paint thinner on the wood, do it very sparingly. In the tight spots, you can probabably use a paint brush with a little thinner on it. What ever gets the paint off will dry the stock out. When you get the paint off, some lemon oil furniture polish will, most likely, return the wood to close to its original look. I would use mineral spirits on the metal and that stuff should wipe right off. It is hard to believe that some ass-hat clown would do that to a nice rifle. Bubba lives!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
stacey

Post by stacey »

I appreciate all the feedback.
jpg.jpeg
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That’sa quick way to turn a 800.00 rifle into a 200.00 rifle and I can’t imagine how you can get all that off it without a massive undertaking. Definitely work on the wood and metal separately and careful with the wood. A new stock is highly unlikely to be found without luck and a bag of cash
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Your rifle is an M28/30. Shame about the paint. Looks like it was in really good condition. The paint should come off the metal with some work.
I don't think there is any way to remove that paint without removing some of the original finish from the wood. I'd be tempted to try very light sanding with brass wool--just enough to try to scrape the paint off. Chemicals usually give wood a horrible appearance. You might be able to flake the paint off though, and lightly use chemicals as a last resort in the stubborn areas.
Mosin Fanboy
Julienkaine

Post by Julienkaine »

I had an old Dreyse pistol that was spray painted. Someone mentioned to me that WD40 would remove it.
I tried it. It worked great. All of the paint came off with minimal work.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Oh my Gxx!
What would poses a person to do that to a M28-30!!!!!

Well, work with what you got and work slowly. Try things on small areas of the stock that are not seen first.

The metal will usually not be a problem removing the paint unless the idiots sanded it first.

Like they said above ...... $800 (PLUS) rifle down to about $200. What a shame!

Darryl
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

He got the paint off and it turned out great. His pics were lost in the recent forum outage.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Thanks for the update millman!!
stacey

Post by stacey »

Here is an update and photos that I lost. I am making slow progress but its getting there. The last photo is the first coat of Tru oil. The barrel is stamped CAI M28
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The before the tru oil pic is about the way it would have looked originally.

C. S. Lewis
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Oh God. You did such a good job removing the paint...and then, Tru Oil! Uggghhh
Mosin Fanboy
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

One step to far.

Darryl
stacey

Post by stacey »

Dang, I was worried about that...
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Yeah that was a big oops
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

For future reference....since the finish was already harmed by bubba...the Finns did use BLO for some of their finished rifles (according to this old post by Mangrove...post #69 https://www.gunboards.com/threads/so-wh ... 225/page-4). So, if you felt the stock absolutely needed something, you would have been better off using BLO--ONLY if the original finish had been destroyed by bubba's paint job, or by removing bubba's paint job.
Mosin Fanboy
stacey

Post by stacey »

Tis is the finished product. I decided to give it to my son for Christmas. I will let him decide what action he wants to take regarding the finish I put on the stock.