Repairing a 91/30 - Family Heirloom

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
GS455

Repairing a 91/30 - Family Heirloom

Post by GS455 »

I don't know if this is allowed for discussion here. If not please guide me to where I can ask this question or move to the appropriate location as I can find no help anywhere We have a 91/30 in the family that has extreme sentimental value and was damaged by, let's just say, an irresponsible person that should not have had their hands on it. I'm seeking to rebarell it from what has become essentially a non functional "junk" or parts gun.

I find lots of barrels on eBay and other places but no one that is "known" for this type of repair. I don't want to put it in the hands of some local gunsmith as I have read these are very peculiar to repair and without experience, damage or twist of the receive can occur. Can anyone offer any name or names of folks or shops that are known for expertise in rebarreling a 91/30?
SA1911a1

Re: Repairing a 91/30 - Family Heirloom

Post by SA1911a1 »

If it is a family heirloom, hang it on the wall as it is. I do not know anyone who has rebarrelled a 91/30 so I can offer no help.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
GS455

Post by GS455 »

Well, lets just say it is (or was) a functional family heirloom and it's pretty important to a young one there's a chance of getting it back in action. Hoping it's repair can be a surprise Christmas present.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

You'd be better off buying a working one. Then you'll have the heirloom, and a functional one.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

GS455 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:47 pm I don't know if this is allowed for discussion here. If not please guide me to where I can ask this question or move to the appropriate location as I can find no help anywhere We have a 91/30 in the family that has extreme sentimental value and was damaged by, let's just say, an irresponsible person that should not have had their hands on it. I'm seeking to rebarell it from what has become essentially a non functional "junk" or parts gun.

I find lots of barrels on eBay and other places but no one that is "known" for this type of repair. I don't want to put it in the hands of some local gunsmith as I have read these are very peculiar to repair and without experience, damage or twist of the receive can occur. Can anyone offer any name or names of folks or shops that are known for expertise in rebarreling a 91/30?
You start with a local gunsmith and see if they recommend anyone. I'd also try someone like Fulton Armory, the Civilian Marksmanship Program or Shuff's Parkerizing (Garand people speak highly of Tim Shufflin). Having it rebarreled if it can be safely shot would be giving it a new life IMHO. Those are the places I would start with.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...