The Mosin You Wish You Still Had

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
Tula44

The Mosin You Wish You Still Had

Post by Tula44 »

I'm sure all of us here have at least one rifle we wish we never sold or traded. What is one Mosin that you wish you kept? Looking back myself, I had a nice Type 53 Mosin that I wish I still had today. Not having it leaves a small hole in my collection.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: The Mosin You Wish You Still Had

Post by Darryl »

Usually this happens to everyone.

But, I have every firearm I have ever bought still. I have never sold anything .... ever. One of the reasons I have so many but, when you do this, you fight with yourself about selling one. You just can't bring yourself to do it for the first time!. I think they call it "hoarding".

However, I am not facing being "older" and thinking I can't leave these behind or she will be selling them for $50 each or as many as you can carry for $100! :chuckles:

Coming time to do something soon.

Darryl
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Darryl wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:53 pm Usually this happens to everyone.

But, I have every firearm I have ever bought still. I have never sold anything .... ever. One of the reasons I have so many but, when you do this, you fight with yourself about selling one. You just can't bring yourself to do it for the first time!. I think they call it "hoarding".

However, I am not facing being "older" and thinking I can't leave these behind or she will be selling them for $50 each or as many as you can carry for $100! :chuckles:

Coming time to do something soon.

Darryl
That is pretty impressive :D

Others may see it as hoarding but not selling even one, that's an investment with the way the value of guns have gone up. :chuckles:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I traded off an M39 years ago, but got something about as cool, so it doesn't burn too much. I'm with Darryll thinking I need to liquidate them on my terms.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I still have every one I ever bought or was given, every Mosin, or other milsurp.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jlaw87

Post by jlaw87 »

2017, my then boyfriend and I were out checking out some area yardsales. We're poking around when I see a big plastic trashcan up against a wall in the garage with rifles in it. I walk over and pick up the crustiest one in it, look it over and ask the old man what he wants for it. About then my bf walks up and asks what in the world I'm doing with that crusty old gun. I had no idea what it was other than really f'in cool. He tries convincing me it's nothing but I convinced him it was something. The old man wanted $100 but took $75 due to my "impressive and relentless negotiation" with my other half. We later identified the rifle as a Russian MN early 1930's if memory serves correctly. He did a great deal of research on it and we began to gently clean it up, preserving as much patina as we could while still removing as much rust as possible. Unfortunately, his substance abuse led to the end of our relationship within the next 6 months. That man had some kind of nerve taking the gun he didn't even want when we broke up😂
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

jlaw87 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:33 pm 2017, my then boyfriend and I were out checking out some area yardsales. We're poking around when I see a big plastic trashcan up against a wall in the garage with rifles in it. I walk over and pick up the crustiest one in it, look it over and ask the old man what he wants for it. About then my bf walks up and asks what in the world I'm doing with that crusty old gun. I had no idea what it was other than really f'in cool. He tries convincing me it's nothing but I convinced him it was something. The old man wanted $100 but took $75 due to my "impressive and relentless negotiation" with my other half. We later identified the rifle as a Russian MN early 1930's if memory serves correctly. He did a great deal of research on it and we began to gently clean it up, preserving as much patina as we could while still removing as much rust as possible. Unfortunately, his substance abuse led to the end of our relationship within the next 6 months. That man had some kind of nerve taking the gun he didn't even want when we broke up😂
Lovely story, and people wonder why I trust nobody, and absolutely hate druggies. Were you able to hunt this person down and exact revenge while recovering your weapon? No details, nobody here wants to be an accessory after the fact to whatever unfortunate accident that person met with. Next time, if there is a next time, do a more careful background check before trusting someone with access to your weapons, better yet, don't ever trust anyone with your weapons again except yourself.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I am not so attached to anything that I own that it doesn't have a price. I have sold about 20 rifles over the past year and I don't miss any of them.

I have come to the conclusion, in my old age, that you don't own "stuff" as much as it owns you.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
entropy

Post by entropy »

Well, I'd say the Polish Mosin I sold to the LGS some years ago......but Rongo doesn't mind, he bought it. :lol: And I know it has a good home.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

I sold an M28 SY in a Ski Trooper stock back in 2018 that I really should have kept. I'd found it in a pawn shop, and picked it up on the cheap. It paid for something more expensive that I wanted more. Probably another Garand or 1911, but I really should have kept it...
IMG_2084.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I still have them all, but like Steve said, everything has a not for sale price.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

For me so far none, as I'm a greedy SOB, as I still have every Mosin Nagant I've bought, none of which are really rare.

1894 Izhevsk M1891 with a 1927 Tikkakoski stepped barrel
1915-17 Remington M1891/24 with a 1924-27 Böhler Stahl barrel
1917 Tula M1891
1932 Izhevsk M1891/30
1939 Tula M1891/30
1942 Izhevsk M1891/30
1943 Izhevsk M1891/30
1947 Izhevsk M1944
1954 Romanian M1944
1955 Chongquing Arsenal Type 53
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired