1895 Dated Mosin Nagant Cossack?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
TheManUpstairs77

1895 Dated Mosin Nagant Cossack?

Post by TheManUpstairs77 »

What's going on guys. My first post on here:

Picked up a Mosin from a vendor at the Oaks Gun Show today. $350 for the rifle, stock was cut down, but other than that in great condition, bolt is super smooth, barrel is perfect but counterbored at end. Gonna attach some photos here for you guys to take a look at:

So. From what I can tell via my extensive knowledge of googling shit, this rifle is an 1895 Mosin Nagant Cossack Rifle. The rifle has multiple Finnish stamps on it, from the D near the bow logo of the Izhevsk arsenal, the crown underneath that logo, and a boxed SA stamp on the side directly above the stock. Rifle also has the stamp for the black powder testing on the side. Rifle also has an odd M stamp underneath the back of the sight leaf, do not know what that means. Is this thing rare, and do I just need to grab an 1891/30 stock to bring it back to close-to-original condition?

Thanks for the help guys.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1895 Dated Mosin Nagant Cossack?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, 91/30 stock is likely all your going to find to use these days. If you search around long enough you may find a damaged M1891 stock use, but likely the forend you need is going to be damaged part. How long is the barrel?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I would look for a used stock rather than a refurb 91/30 stock that as the shiny varnish. It is a Cossack, and you got a great deal on that. Wouldn't take much to un-bubba....you'll just need to wait to find the right parts. A 91/30 stock with Finn spliced fore end will work. Even if you have to pay $200 for parts (stock, hand guard, and Izhevsk dragoon barrel bands), you still won't be losing money on that. :thumbsup:
Mosin Fanboy
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I just looked on Ebay for stocks...wow! I'd just wait a while and check the trader every now and then. I thought $60 was pretty high for a stock--these people are asking $160 for stocks with no hardware. To hell with that!
Mosin Fanboy
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

$150-$180 is the price range these days for 91/30 stocks. Check Liberty tree, just click the banner at the top of any page and select Mosin Nagant parts from their menu. They do have some stocks.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt