The heat has driven me inside

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
SA1911a1

The heat has driven me inside

Post by SA1911a1 »

My daughter sent me a leather working starter kit for Father's day, so a couple of days ago, I thought I would give it a go. I needed a sheath for an orphaned WWII PAL RH-36 knife, so I decided to attempt a sheath for it. Unfortunately, I could not find, anywhere, the correct rivets, so I used what I had. The wanky fastener has been beaten into submission since I took the photo. It was actually a fun project, and I learned several things along the way. The next one should be better. I made it as a "left hand" version because when I carry a hunting knife, I am carrying a pistol on my right side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: The heat has driven me inside

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

not bad :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

That looks pretty Damn good!

Darryl
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Thanks guys. Each one is getting better, I would do great back in Cub Scouts again!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Nice looking sheath. Weather here in Arizona is hot and supposed to get hotter this weekend. Tucson is only in the low 100s but Phoenix may get to 117. Not good for those who don't have air conditioning. I've got cats at home, so my ac is currently on 24/7.
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

I have a good friend living in Scottsdale........Wish all of you the best getting through this year......Tom
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

National Weather Service is saying that some locations may top 120 degrees. No real chance of rain until later next week. At least Tucson averages about five degrees lower temperature than Phoenix. Night time does not bring any relief as the lows we're experiencing right now are in the mid 80s. Flagstaff is seeing highs in the 90s, which is unusual.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

120? Oh, but it's a dry heat.....Yea, I would already have dropped dead and probably mummified in minutes. :shock:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:54 pm Thanks guys. Each one is getting better, I would do great back in Cub Scouts again!
Good job Steve. You got a stiching machine ? I went to work part time at a leather shop this year, I like the work. We are doing mass production now though, making 10,000 belts for Delta airline.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Awesome job, Steve. Might have to farm out some work your ways.

I don't do anything that involves stitching/sewing/tacking. After having to tack parachute harnesses etc for 23 years, I done with anything involving thread and a needle.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:10 pm
SA1911a1 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:54 pm Thanks guys. Each one is getting better, I would do great back in Cub Scouts again!
Good job Steve. You got a stiching machine ? I went to work part time at a leather shop this year, I like the work. We are doing mass production now though, making 10,000 belts for Delta airline.
Oh, no. Hand stitching only. What kind of belt does the airline use?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:51 pm
steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:10 pm
Oh, no. Hand stitching only. What kind of belt does the airline use?
It's a black 1&1/2 inch Mechanics belt with the two hooks that makes the buckle hidden. Delta logo on the front.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

As you might remember, I have this same knife. It was my Dad's and he used it hunting for years. He got it while in the Army (as I remember) for a Navy guy or something. I have it written down somewhere.

Those sheaths are not easy to fine (and certainly not cheap).

This man has skills with leather!

Darryl