Cured my funky leather

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
steelbuttplate

Cured my funky leather

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've been getting this white residue on all the leather in my shop, wipe it off and in 6 weeks it's back. It's something like white grease that seeps out of the leather. So I tried an old leather treatment I used to do to my ball gloves, olive oil. 6 weeks now since I did the first holster and no sign of return of the white funk. It sure makes the leather soft too.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cured my funky leather

Post by bunkysdad »

Just regular olive oil huh? Have you ever tried Ballistol on your leather?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sounds like mold, common in humid environments, Ballistol works, has for something near 150 years, doesn't attract insects, and mice. It was invented for the German Army, or what would become the German army in the 1870's. Works on metal, wood, leather, don't use it on electric motors and similar shit, it conducts electricity. With olive oil you are feeding the mold.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

It's not mold, It's like white lithium grease. I've scraped some off and rubbed it on a rusty hammer, it's grease. It leaches out of neatsfoot oil I guess. Anyway the olive oil seems to have stopped it.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:49 am Sounds like mold, common in humid environments, Ballistol works, has for something near 150 years, doesn't attract insects, and mice. It was invented for the German Army, or what would become the German army in the 1870's. Works on metal, wood, leather, don't use it on electric motors and similar shit, it conducts electricity. With olive oil you are feeding the mold.
I'm a believer with using Ballistol, But I've never used it on leather. I usually use Mink Oil for that. I might give it a try on a few old slings I just got. :vcool:

I would be concerned with using Olive Oil on leather.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

As a rule if you can eat it without harm then so can mold, bugs, and mice, eating Ballistol will kill you and all the rest.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I just read on leatherworker.net, or .com ? Anyway a guy with all kinds of leather working certs. stated that Cod liver oil, Neats foot and Olive were excellent for leather all 3 equally good. It's all I used on leather growing up guys. Then came Mink oil and Snowproof. Gore -Tex replaced bread bags over your socks. Mossy Oak surpassed brown Duck backs. Inline's with Sabots and 209 caps tried to kill off the side locks, a few of us purists persevere. I don't like them Kureg coffee things. I got a new stainless percolator (Coleman) last yr. , they make better coffee. I don't know why I got on a rant :soapbox: about old ways , I just still prefer some of them.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You ever smell cod liver oil? That shit was used as a punishment for children for decades. Your leather will sit more that it's going to be used, boots and such are used often, there is no opportunity for bugs, mice and mold. Ballistol isn't from today, it's 19th century . In truth historical leather shouldn't be treated at all, any oils will change it's color to dark, most original leather gear is best preserved under glass.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:20 pm You ever smell cod liver oil? That shit was used as a punishment for children for decades. Your leather will sit more that it's going to be used, boots and such are used often, there is no opportunity for bugs, mice and mold. Ballistol isn't from today, it's 19th century . In truth historical leather shouldn't be treated at all, any oils will change it's color to dark, most original leather gear is best preserved under glass.
No , but I'll bet fishy. According to leather guru man the cod liver oil was one of the original treatments for fine leather, and the fish smell goes away and becomes that nice leathery smell in a few hours. :shifty: I used to cut the fat off the back of deer and boil it, then get the tallow off the top when it cooled down. Rub that on my work boots and set 'em by the wood stove. In a few minutes it all soaks in. That helps when your going out in snow and pine brush for 12 hours a day. Mutton Tallow.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cod liver oil smells like shit, tastes like shit, and drink enough of it and you will shit, violently. Years back this was used to lubricate early aircraft engines that had a full loss oiling system. I think it was one of the French planes, oil would fly back into the pilots face, and get in their mouth over the course of the flight causing them to sometimes shit themselves. Not a popular aircraft. Cod Liver Oil is commonly used as a purgative.

Remember that all these options, animal, plant, chemical, will cause the leather to darken, thus altering it from it's original appearance should it still have it's light color. Look up how leather was tanned in medieval Europe, human and animal waste, animal parts, dead dogs, and so on were cooked into the worlds most disgusting soup, and the hides were boiled in it. Nobody wanted the Tannery moving in next to them.
Theodore Roosevelt
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

clo is high in vit A and D...especially D in these winter months with reduced sunshine........
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

tomaustin wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:02 pm clo is high in vit A and D...especially D in these winter months with reduced sunshine........
I suggest simply popping a Vitamin D pill and avoid the purgative.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:30 pm
tomaustin wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:02 pm clo is high in vit A and D...especially D in these winter months with reduced sunshine........
You know, :oji: I could use a good dump. clo huh . probably smells like you shit a smoked mackerel.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:04 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:30 pm
You know, :oji: I could use a good dump. clo huh . probably smells like you shit a smoked mackerel.
The dump will happen, suddenly, and probably before you can do the truffle shuffle to the can.
Theodore Roosevelt
herorules23

Post by herorules23 »

This thread is from three years ago and read about your funky leather situation. Man, time really flies! But hey, it's never too late to chime in and share some thoughts.
So you were battling with that annoying white residue that kept showing up on your leather in the shop. Sounds like a real pain, wiping it off only to have it come back in just six weeks.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I read all about preservation amd not used this or that on leather products, and I laugh sometimes.

I have my HGU-55/P flight helmet that has leather on it. Was talking to someone on a militaria forum about it and cleaning the leather and a shit storm started.

I had to tell them that the USAF Technical Order (14P3-4-151, Operation and Maintenance Instructions With Illustrated Parts Breakdown HGU- 55/P Flyer’s Helmet) specifies that on the periodic inspection (Every 30 days) the leather will be cleaned with Saddle Soap. My helmet, used by me in the Air Force, was cleaned IAW the tech order. Failure to do so now would be detrimental to the leather.

People have to remember that the equipment was cleaned in service either IAW with Tech Manuals/Tech Orders, or whatever they had on hand. If I didn't continue to clean my helmet leather parts they would be rotted away by now.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
herorules23

Post by herorules23 »

herorules23 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:18 am This thread is from three years ago and read about your funky leather situation. Man, time really flies! But hey, it's never too late to chime in and share some thoughts.
So you were battling with that annoying white residue that kept showing up on your leather in the shop. Sounds like a real pain, wiping it off only to have it come back in just six weeks.
But hey, you had a clever idea! Bringing back an old leather treatment you used on your ball gloves—olive oil.
herorules23

Post by herorules23 »

This thread is from three years ago and read about your funky leather situation. Man, time really flies! But hey, it's never too late to chime in and share some thoughts.
So you were battling with that annoying white residue that kept showing up on your leather in the shop. Sounds like a real pain, wiping it off only to have it come back in just six weeks. But hey, you had a clever idea! Bringing back an old leather treatment you used on your ball gloves—olive oil. Who would've guessed.
If anyone else comes across this thread, wondering about funky leather or looking for different treatments, they can check out this link: vonbaer.com/blogs/blog/what-is-artificial-leather-and-is-it-good. It's always interesting to explore different approaches and see what works best for each individual.