1896 M91 Carcano

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ffuries

1896 M91 Carcano

Post by ffuries »

Wow talk about a long day.....Hit a gunshow almost 2 hours West of us, followed by hitting a few antique stores and hitting the BX at Eglin AFB. At the gunshow, where my son-in-law bought his first firearm on his own an AR15, I found and adopted an 1896 Terni M1891 Carcano long rifle. I'll take it apart in the next day or two, too damn tired right now.

Here's a few quick shots before I head to bed. Just have to find an appropriate sling and bayonet for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1896 M91 Carcano

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice find, I did two estate sales and only found some rusty tools and a shovel.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Fun, funny day......My wife was helping me look the markings over on the rifle and I racked the bolt back and heard a loud click and the bolt wouldn't go back in all the way. She asked what's wrong, and I said I can't get it to go in. Without skipping a beat she says "That's what she said" and with that she walked away. Everyone is a damn comedian, I tell ya!

I tore the bolt down, and found enough grease to supply a 50's Greaser with hair product for a year. Once cleaned, I was finally able to pull the cocking piece back and reset the bolt and viola problem fixed.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Nice rifle. Does it shoot that "hard to find" ammo?

Darryl
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Darryl wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:52 pm Nice rifle. Does it shoot that "hard to find" ammo?

Darryl
That 6.5x52 ammo?......Expensive stuff $40.00 for 20 rounds, 2 bucks a bang!

https://www.luckygunner.com/prvi-partiz ... 123sppp-20
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I scored some at an estate sale ten years back and have horded it away, hard to find ammo, and expensive.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:40 pm I scored some at an estate sale ten years back and have horded it away, hard to find ammo, and expensive.
Tell me, I've been getting sticker shock looking at the current prices! :beek:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's not surprising given that you would have to go back to the 1960's to find any amount of surplus ammo for these rifles. There just isn't enough demand anymore for there to be reasonably priced commercial ammo available. Factor in how things are today with ammo price and availability it's amazing any ammo is available at all. This is a good example of a rifle you need to reload for if you want to shoot it more than once.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I load my own for my TS Especial. Grafs has brass and you "might" be able to load pretty much any .264 bullet for it if you're lucky enough that it likes those, otherwise PPU is pretty much the only one making .268 bullets, also available at Grafs. Do NOT waste your time with the cast powder-coated ones that are available online, forget the guys name but they are total crap, I have around 400 of them sitting on the bench after trying 4 different powders and 20 different loads.