Never saw him again

steelbuttplate

Never saw him again

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've seen more deer this season, and had the worst luck getting one ever. I'd seen the big daddy twice and couldn't get a shot. Then one morning a decent 6 point came right toward me, in and out lots of trees. He finally got even with me my right side and I had the deerslayer turned left handed, when I finally got lined up left eyed I was turned backward and fired an inch low, blew a patch of white hair off his brisket.
A week later in the first light, I could see a big deers butt 75 yards out, his head behind a scrub pine. 5 minutes later, he bolted for the treelike, I swung on him and the .308 roared. I could tell he was hit, but waited 45 min to go look. No blood, no hair where I saw him run, I eased into the woods and slowly looked. I want about 50 ft and There he was, laying in the edge of the field. Dead I thought, then he raised that big rack and layed right back down. Didn't even open his eye, I thought near death.(asleep) 10-12 yards behind him, I got out my Tokarev to finish him. When I cocked that pistol, that son of a bitch jumped 20 feet thru the air, and I never saw him again.
A dozen drops of blood where he layed told me a front leg wound. :whistle: I have no ven in my den.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Never saw him again

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Who's fault is it you have no deer this year? What would be funny as hell is if you overhear some other guy bragging on the buck he got this year, and it was so easy because it had a nasty leg wound. :chuckles:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

6 point?

Oh you mean a 3 pointer. :chuckles:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Sonny wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:02 am 6 point?

Yea the first one was a 3x3. The one I walked up on was a 8,9,maybe 10 , I didn't count quick enough. It was an 18" spread or better.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:42 am
Sonny wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:02 am 6 point?

Yea the first one was a 3x3. The one I walked up on was a 8,9,maybe 10 , I didn't count quick enough. It was an 18" spread or better.
Me too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:vcool: There's always groundhog season, and snipes will be back in February .
The last couple of bucks, I paused and wondered during the dragging , is this the last one ? Can I do this next year?
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Many years ago my boss was out deer hunting, he shot one, and found it laying in the thicket. He walked up and straddled it to cut its throat and the damn thing stood up and took off running with him on its back. He was screaming and trying to cut its throat, don't recall if the deer got away or if my boss won in the end.

But to hear him tell the story, and the fact that his hunting partner (Another of my co-workers) just stood there laughing during the whole fiasco, was just too damn funny.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Deer and other varmints can heal a flesh wound if they can lick it, the saliva contains an enzyme that promotes healing and coagulates. I shot a Doe late season 15 yrs ago, found a hand full of blood, then some drops, then nothing. So I get back to the cabin right before dark, and shortly two deer come running thru the front yard. Standing in my socks on linoleum , eased the sliding glass door open and dropped one of them. When I get it home and skin it, there are two .50 cal holes, one in each front leg muscle, and the last one I put in it's neck. It's the same deer I wounded, 1/4 mile away, shot it twice on the same day in different locations. :shifty:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

If you want meat, around here, just drive down one of our country roads at 2:00 AM. Between the big cities of Altha, Fl. and Marianna, Fl. on a stretch about 12 miles long, I counted six dead dear, all fresh enough to have not been the menu of choice by the buzzards yet. .
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There are six outside wandering around the yard any given time. I can get within five feet of them without a stampede. They have decided I am harmless, and they are safe. They might revise that opinion should I get hungry :twisted:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:18 pm There are six outside wandering around the yard any given time. I can get within five feet of them without a stampede. They have decided I am harmless, and they are safe. They might revise that opinion should I get hungry :twisted:
What about that damn big Lion, the Wampus cat. Did he move on ? :shifty:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The lions range pretty far so it would only be around here once in awhile, no sightings in a year. Then again they are good at remaining out of sight until they drop on you. The Bobcat got caught on one of the security cameras a few weeks back.
Theodore Roosevelt