Gen 1 Mosin? Pawn shop find from a totally uninformed buyer

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Crowzone

Gen 1 Mosin? Pawn shop find from a totally uninformed buyer

Post by Crowzone »

Hello all! This seemed like the best place to post this and ask some questions on what I picked up. Definitely an interesting unaltered Mosin.

Background:

Last Friday I went into a pawn shop pick up a receiver and noticed a Mosin being fawned over by a young guy. I totally would have ignored it otherwise. He was really excited that it had a date of 1902 on it! Price tag was $250

He didn’t really have the money for it and was torn on if he could get it, but decided to pass just because he didn’t know if was worth the money. It looked weird so I took a peek at it after he left

The first thing that popped out to me was the lack of handguard, yet the barrel bands were fitting to the barrel. I had never seen anything like that. Where are the hole for the sling? I left and mentioned my story online, but a lot of people said it was probably some bubba job done to a Mosin missing a handguard. This is the first time something in my life just nagged at me, and two days later I decided to pop back in

What a weird sight for a Mosin! Something is up. I started posting pics to discord and everyone was clamoring for me to buy it. I’m a bit tight on funds but went for it.

Stock is rough, but thee stock + magazine + receiver have matching serials. There are no extra /odd markings anywhere and even after taking it apart I’m struggling to find an importation mark.

Bolt is not matching but from what I understand this is an early bolt?

Tang matches receiver it looks like. Imperial Mosin, gen 1 of some kind, but assembled in 1902? No importation so got into the US early? Either way this is not your regular Mosin.

I spent the evening carefully cleaning out the massive load of caked in grease on everything as best I could and applying some very light oil to the metal. Under the wood magazine was pretty scratchy looking but still solid. The stock finish is beat up but the wood is good so no idea how to protect that without doing damage to the stock.

Any idea how this slipped through this long without modification? I’m thinking it might become a wall piece instead of a fun shooter for me, but any idea then with of something like this?
willyj73

Re: Gen 1 Mosin? Pawn shop find from a totally uninformed buyer

Post by willyj73 »

1) Don't mess with it. Don't try to "rehydrate" the wood. Don't try to remove the finish. Don't try to add some "protective" finish to the wood.
2) The 1st kid, if he had any smarts, would have done anything possible to get $250 for that rifle. It's likely worth, as is, close to 10 times that amount.
You can never make a bad decision purchasing something that is so horribly undervalued--NEVER
3) I would not shoot the rifle. It is rare. The ammunition was upgraded in 1908, and the rifles upgraded in 1909. Most rifles with your features were
also upgraded to accommodate the"modern" ammunition. The rear sight ladder was upgraded to the more commonly seen rear sights found on M91
rifles. Also, a crossbolt was added to the stocks in order to provide a more solid surface for the increased recoil of the stronger ammunition.
Shooting modern ammunition, using that stock could cause a crack in the stock. A more common M91 rifle will provide the same shooting
experience.

I saw your post on Reddit. You are very lucky. The magazine is missing the sling swivel; hence, the hole in the magazine. I think there are some examples of early pattern rifles in the showcase section of this site.

Here is a link with a timeline of the various upgrades http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM91R.htm
Last edited by willyj73 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mosin Fanboy
Crowzone

Post by Crowzone »

Thank you for the info! I didn’t think I’d really ever shoot it, but that cements it.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Everything willy said. Don't mess with it. It is pretty rare with that flat sight. Good score.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Lemon oil, Murphys oil soap, pledge, are ok to use on the stock.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Worth $250 any day of the week. This is a very unusual bird for sure. No sling slots and no stock bolt so it never made it back the the upgrades. And it is very uncommon to find one with the flat rear sights. I think if you look hard enough you can find the swivel for the magazine. I believe this swivel is also the connection point that the magazine door swivels on. Once in a while the complete magazine with the swivel will snow up on ebay or elsewhere. Keep an eye out.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Wow it’s amazing that in the past 120 plus years this rifle has survived the chopping block and sand paper. You found a gem that you may never see another like it in the wild, ever! Thanks for posting it here
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

the first thing I would recommend is-----STOP LAYING IT DOWN ON THE CONCRETE.....

Treat all rifles with respect.....
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

If I'm reading the rarity chart right that rifle registers a 3. That's only the second or third of that era I remember seeing, seems like they be pretty damn rare all original not Finnish marked. Maybe that Darryl got 'em all piled up.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:42 pm If I'm reading the rarity chart right that rifle registers a 3. That's only the second or third of that era I remember seeing, seems like they be pretty damn rare all original not Finnish marked. Maybe that Darryl got 'em all piled up.
:chuckles:
That chart was made then ..... not now.
Almost all of those rifles have become harder to find.
I'm sure some body will read that chart in 2056 and say "wow, you can't find any of those rifle! Why a 3"?
That is the problem with making a chart like that. I wish I had never made it now! :chuckles:

Darryl
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Most of my collection has now become hard to find, and not just the guns, all the old crap I collect falls into that category today.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Crowzone

Post by Crowzone »

tomaustin wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:26 am the first thing I would recommend is-----STOP LAYING IT DOWN ON THE CONCRETE.....

Treat all rifles with respect.....
Funny enough that was the gun shop counter! It’s safety in my safe now.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Someone owes someone an apology. :chuckles:

Good find!

Darryl
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Awesome find! Congratulations!!!