m91 stock restoration

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
stonewallskullworks

m91 stock restoration

Post by stonewallskullworks »

I have a 1926 tikka m91 that has a clear coat on the stock, it looks like it might have been a sprayed on clear lacquer as there are some runs. I was thinking of trying to remove the clear with some lacquer thinner and then treating it with linseed oil/pine tar to look more like the original stock.

Has anyone done this before or should I just leave it as it is
steelbuttplate

Re: m91 stock restoration

Post by steelbuttplate »

There is a brand of oil, I can't think of it, that others have used. Somebody will come up with it. Don't do any sanding.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

stonewallskullworks wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:15 am I have a 1926 tikka m91 that has a clear coat on the stock, it looks like it might have been a sprayed on clear lacquer as there are some runs. I was thinking of trying to remove the clear with some lacquer thinner and then treating it with linseed oil/pine tar to look more like the original stock.

Has anyone done this before or should I just leave it as it is
If you go that route make sure you wipe it down with regular mineral spirits to neutralize any left over residue. The mineral spirits will also let you know if you have gotten all of the lacquer off, see if it soaks in a little. Like Steelbuttplate said, no abrasives. Any oil will only work if all of the previous finish is removed.
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

The problem is, once someone puts that "clear" finish on, it can never be put back like it was before.
The damage is done.
You can get it close but, .....it will always be "altered".
It is not possible to remove the clear" without also doing a "bit" of damage to the original finish.

I'm not telling you to not try. It is your rifle and you can do as you like but, putting it back "EXACTLY" as original is not really a reasonable goal.
Reaching something that is closer and "better" might be a reasonable goal.

All of it becomes the rifles "history".

Don't ask me what I would do. I don't know because I don't have it in my hands and it is not my rifle. It is yours and your decision.
OK to ask how.

To back it up, you need to find out exactly what the last finish is. Then find out what will remove it without damaging as little as possible the original finish.
If it is lacquer then I,m not sure mineral spirits will touch it. You may need something stronger like lacquer thinner. BUT, try it on a SMall section of the stock rather then doing the entire stock. Maybe under the but plate, or in the barrel channel.
I'd try mineral spirits first. It may not be Lacquer, it but maybe Polyurethane. That might come off with mineral spirits.

Go "slow" and "small".

Also, remember, if it is a Finn rifle (SA), then it is possible that the finish has linseed oil or Tung oil. Can't remember which now. But if those are applied heavy enough, they will look almost clear to someone who doesn't know the differences.

Darryl
stonewallskullworks

I understand that nothing will make it original again, I just thought I might be able to make it look more like original without causing more damage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I'd leave it. The odds of getting it better than that aren't good. :2cents:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Doesn't look like it has been sprayed but you know better than I. I've seen much worse. I have had success cutting shiny lacquer down with steel wool. This doesn't remove the finish. It only dulls the shine. You could use a scraper to remove that finish and it wouldn't remove any of the original color. I suppose from what I am seeing that I'd leave well enough alone.
stonewallskullworks

Thanks for the advice, it is not crazy shiny but when it is next to 1927 stepped barrel you can really notice the unstepped rifle stock is shinier
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

Truthfully, I'd leave it as is.
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

qz2026 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:01 am Doesn't look like it has been sprayed but you know better than I. I've seen much worse. I have had success cutting shiny lacquer down with steel wool. This doesn't remove the finish. It only dulls the shine. You could use a scraper to remove that finish and it wouldn't remove any of the original color. I suppose from what I am seeing that I'd leave well enough alone.
Now that I see pics I would also use 00 steel wool, dull that shine a little and leave it be. :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Don't do anything to it. Especially abrasive.
IF it is from Finland (which is doesn't like like it is), then it looks exactly like my M24 that was refinished after the war with what looks like Linseed oil (multiple layers). This is what they used post war a lot. Not Finn marked.

If it is not Finland, then it is probably Spanish civil war and refinished? or Balkins?

Leave it like it is. Looks OK to me as is. But,.....that is just my opinion. There are others.

Darryl
stonewallskullworks

Thanks, it is finnish. It is a 1926 tikka barreled m91 non stepped, it is pictured with a 1927 tikka stepped barrel
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Now that I see the shole gun, I really think it looks fine... I wouldn't do anything to it.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I vote leave it as well. Your mileage may vary. :2cents:
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

How in the Hell did I miss the Tikka barrel? :chuckles:
Of coarse it is a Finn rifle! Duh! :bonk:

I can show you that finish on two other Finn M24's I own.
It was (probably) "Arsenal-ed" by the Finn's after the war.

Darryl
Mangrove

Post by Mangrove »

stonewallskullworks wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:15 am I have a 1926 tikka m91 that has a clear coat on the stock, it looks like it might have been a sprayed on clear lacquer as there are some runs. I was thinking of trying to remove the clear with some lacquer thinner and then treating it with linseed oil/pine tar to look more like the original stock.
The original finish for some (not all) Finnish Defence Forces and Civil Guard rifles during the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s was various types of varnishes and buffing wheel. Dull and shiny finishes were sometimes even used simultaneously at the depots.
ssg_lord

Post by ssg_lord »

Mangrove wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:51 pm
The original finish for some (not all) Finnish Defence Forces and Civil Guard rifles during the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s was various types of varnishes and buffing wheel. Dull and shiny finishes were sometimes even used simultaneously at the depots.
OP, I would weigh what Mangrove says careful. He knows what he speaks of. On a related note, I have a 1927 stepped barrel Tikka with a nearly identical stock finish on it. I was told by a prominent Finnish collector from Finland that it was a Finnish Army wood finish used shortly after WW2 on rifles being refurbished.
stonewallskullworks

Thanks guys, I will leave it as it is
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That sounds like a wise decision. I too think it looks like it was put there during its time in the Finnish arsenals