M1 Carbine!

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
14sutten

M1 Carbine!

Post by 14sutten »

Just received a 1943 M1 Carbine with 5 magazines in perfect condition. This was used by my great grandfather in Korea! Has been in family and I’m debating wether I even want to shoot it or just have it he a wall hanger. In literal perfect condition. Wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks for these or interesting information?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RazorBurn

Re: M1 Carbine!

Post by RazorBurn »

I'd take it out and shoot it in his honor a time or two a year. No real tips other than clean and lube it like you would any other firearm. They're very fun, and pleasant to shoot. 30 Carbine to me is basically a pistol round from a rifle. I can't see how you'd ever damage it with normal plinking.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cool, you will not hurt the war baby by shooting it, but you can damage it with cleaning. Like the M1 Garand these must be cleaned from the front, and that can lead to wear on the crown area of the bore. Wear in this part of the barrel will degrade the carbines accuracy. Acquire and use the muzzle protector while sawing the cleaning rod in and out of the bore. It will look like this, but there are many styles out there for you to pick one that works best

https://www.octobercountry.com/rod-guides/
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

About .75c per round is the only damage you can do by shooting that baby. I'd rather shoot mine that any rifle I have, they are one fine weapon. If nobody has messed with the adjustments, I bet it's sighted in. Who was the maker on that one ? You got some ammo? Liberty tree has bayonets.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello,
Yes, the makers mark is on the receiver under the rear sight; you should be able to see it. Are there any stampings on the stock? By the time of the Korean war they were mixed matched pound puppies. Can you show any pictures of markings and stamps on rifle and stock?.
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

As has been said before, in WW2 and the Korean conflict, the troops would clean and reassemble their weapons en masse with no regard to which rifle might be reassembled...having served more than 60 years ago, I remember my troops and staff field officers stripping their weapons, pitching the sub-assemblies into a general pile where other troops would work on cleaning and inspecting those parts, and then reassemble and pass them back in the general direction from which they had come......these were weapons designed to look alike, be alike, shoot alike, be cleaned alike, reassembled alike and KEEP ON FIRING DOWNRANGE.....

These ole warhorses are to be treated with respect.........