What should I do with this stock?

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
AJSmith

What should I do with this stock?

Post by AJSmith »

Wondering what the best option for this rifle would be? Replace the stock completely or try to splice a new forearm into it? Would I need another 28 stock or can the 91s be modified to work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What should I do with this stock?

Post by millman »

Look for a whole one. My :2cents:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's going to be hard to recreate anything without an intact stock to copy. It may take years but I would suggest holding out for an original stock. Even if you find one of the originals in bad shape it will at least give you the pattern you need to copy.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mosey

Post by Mosey »

Oof, it hurts my heart a bit to see these "bubba'd" even in a simple way like this. I agree that keeping an eye out for an original stock would be ideal. I suppose you cant do much worse to the that existing stock than has already been done so you might play around and experiment on it until you find an original.

I got two SKS stocks last year at an auction for only $20. Great unissued condition yet nobody wanted them, couldnt believe it. So you certainly could have similar unexpected luck.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: MOSEY :bs.gif:
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I saw this one on GunBroker. The current stock is firewood IMHO. Best to wait for the real thing to show up. One will eventually and it will cost a fortune. And that's not the ski-trooper stock. I've never seen one of these for sale by itself before. And then there is the additional hardware and parts you will need.., bands, handguard... Would have been better to wait for a complete Ski Trooper to show up and pay the bucks for it. It's possible the the stock could be spliced with a correct lower forestock. That's way out of our paygrade though... Finland and Russia did some nice splice work though... Probably best to keep the rifle maintained and wait for something to show up EVEN if it's not a ski-trooper stock.
AJSmith

Post by AJSmith »

This isn't the one from gunbroker. It had been in my dad's possession since the 90's when he picked up 3 of them. I inherited it, and one of the others, back in January when he passed away. I'm just looking to see what options are out there to try and bring some of the rifles I got back into acceptable shape. Also have a Bubba 2A1 Enfield and Ariska that need some love. The Enfield is salvageable but the Ariska will have to stay as is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Both "seem" have have the barrels cut down. What is the length of the barrels?

Darryl
AJSmith

Post by AJSmith »

The Enfield seems to match up with my other 2A1, the Ariska was probably altered permanently. That don't look like an original front sight lol.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I had a 1918 Enfield that was sporterized like that one that was the best shooting iron sight rifle I ever owned.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I would mount that stock, behind glass, above the fireplace, with a sign that says, "In case of emergency break glass, burn wood. "
Aut Pax Aut Bellum