Tool Reincarnation

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
SA1911a1

Tool Reincarnation

Post by SA1911a1 »

I am still prowling for old, high quality, American tools. I made a haul yesterday for the grand total of seven bucks. I am not sure the unit pricing, but I got a couple of tapered shank drill bits, a nearly new coping saw, nine wooden handled screwdrivers and this. This poor old Miller Falls screwdriver was out in the weather, and appeared to be there for a while. It was frozen with a capital F. I set it soaking in my special blend rust-buster overnight and attacked it with a pipe wrench and a two pound hammer today. It finally thawed. After about $100.00 worth of labor, It is now fully functional. I can't believe how the wood came back with just a few doses of Linseed oil. These old big-handled screwdrivers are good for old arthritic hands. What is nifty is that the chuck is meant to accept 1/4" square shanks, so that means that It can be used effectively with modern hexagonal bits. I know it is a little nutty, but I really enjoy bringing neglected tools back from the dead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Re: Tool Reincarnation

Post by steelbuttplate »

Not nutty at all, I just overhauled a rusty pair of Vise grips myself. I think that makes 16 pairs I have.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Been saving all the good USA tools I could find for many years. Some people toss them in the scrap bucket, I immediately add these people to my fuckin idiot list, and then salvage the tools no matter how rusty and banged up they are. That Miller Falls multi bit screwdriver is highly collectable, and they tend to bring $40-$55 on eBay . Miller made great tools back when most of the population were tool users instead of useless fucks. Very nice save.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:44 am Been saving all the good USA tools I could find for many years. Some people toss them in the scrap bucket, I immediately add these people to my fuckin idiot list, and then salvage the tools no matter how rusty and banged up they are. That Miller Falls multi bit screwdriver is highly collectable, and they tend to bring $40-$55 on eBay . Miller made great tools back when most of the population were tool users instead of useless fucks. Very nice save.
Thanks!

The good thing about this particular driver is that it came with a handle full of tools. The original tools go for more than the driver usually.
I did make the Phillips and one of the flats from my junk tool pile. I think that the original tool was made before the Phillips was invented. I have been unable to find this particular driver on the flea-bay, the drill type chuck is apparently an oddity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Someplace I have one of these, with at least some of the tools. No idea what of the 40-50 tool box's it's hiding in. Any Eifel Geared, or Flash Plierench sets? I pick them up all over, they were very popular with factory workers back 80 years ago when we had factorys that made things here. The geared ones are dated 1932-1960's
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Everything nowadays is throwaway. What needs to be encouraged is recycle and repair. Our museum's machine shop is constantly acquiring machines and tools whenever other commercial machine shops either close up or upgrade. Our machinist has rebuilt several machines and upgraded them to current standards. That shop permits us to do essentially all machining work needed to support the bus and trolley restoration shops and provides us an extra source of income. While some of the machines were bought using museum funds, others were donated to us.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

In the last 6 months I've bought braces, all types of bits and several planes. We have a big auction every Sat night about 40 miles north of us. I know to go get some stash money every time I go. I know I'll see something good. The last time I went I got
12 speed handles and a 1/2 drive break over and the 5 gal bucket for 15 dollars. Can't resist a full tool box for $20.
Cliff