Nepali “Brown Bess” mainspring

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
djbuck1

Nepali “Brown Bess” mainspring

Post by djbuck1 »

I have a kit built, IMA Nepali “Brown Bess.”

The musket needs a new mainspring that will have to be fit. In fact, a new mainspring might have to be made.

Can anyone recommend an experienced gunsmith who might take this on?

Thanks!

DB
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Nepali “Brown Bess” mainspring

Post by Darryl »

Why not buy a "replacement" from Dixie Gun works.
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/pag ... n%2520bess

Darryl
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Thank you for the reply. The issue is fitting since these lock components were hand made in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. That is a skill that I lack.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

djbuck1 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:03 am Thank you for the reply. The issue is fitting since these lock components were hand made in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. That is a skill that I lack.
The amount of work to "make one work" from a reproduction is very small (if any).
By the 1770's, the rifles were still hand made but to very strict specifications.
They did not change much if any. The reason is easy to see, they had to make "repairs" in the field fast. That could only be done with a standardized musket.
In fact, the 1763 French Charleville is exactly the same as the Springfield 1795. The parts are interchangeable.

I own 3 Charlevilles and 6 Brownbess muskets. All originals, not reproductions. The only parts that I see that are not "close" are the stocks. Those were hand made to "fit" the parts and to exact size.

But, if you want to start from "scratch", that is up to you. Either way, it is a replacement part. I'd venture to say if you did find someone who would "build you one" that he would probably use one of those replacements and work it to fit. Then charge you as if it were made form scratch. Springs are not easy to make.
I do my own repairs but my muskets are "complete" except one 1776 Charlevill Musket. It was missing the front part of the stock and the front and second barrel band. I found an original front barrel band (which is almost impossible now a days) and made a new section of front stock. I also used a "reproduction" middle barrel band as those can't be found anywhere. I've been looking for over 30 years now.

The front stock was cutoff to make the musket a "shotgun piece" later down the years (commonly done). I got a piece of walnut (which is what the originals were made of) and rough fitted it (that is what is in the second photo below. After finding the parts, it was "fitted" to match the parts. I did have some help from a guy that does "stocks". He helped me along but I did the work. I remember people saying this guy was the best stock maker in the state. They said his Mother was a termite and his Father was a carpenter! :chuckles:
1777_001.png
1777_002.png
This is the only musket I have ever touched. It just needed to be put back to "original condition".

Darryl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Beautiful work!