New User Needs Help Identifying PU Sniper!

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Archeten89

New User Needs Help Identifying PU Sniper!

Post by Archeten89 »

Hey, all! New user here. SO happy I found this site! I've learned more about Mosin Snipers in the last 48hrs than months of Youtube videos have taught me.

Still would love a second (or third or fourth) opinion on this 91/30 PU I found on GunBroker. Is it legit? It looks legit to me, but would love an expert's insight!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/941196378

Thanks in advance,
-Ren
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New User Needs Help Identifying PU Sniper!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ordinarily I would remove a live auction link, I am not in the business of providing free advertising for Gunbroker. However, if you are going to drop $2400 or more on this you had better be damn sure it's legit first. I will leave it up for a few days in case one of our PU knowledgeable members ( not me ) can look it over and maybe be able to provide some information for you. Just beware that being knowledgeable about PU's if this rifle is something special, they might just buy it out from under you and remain silent about it. Dirty pool, but all's fair in the auction wars. Another reason not to post live auction links on something you might want to own. Good luck with the auction, I hope it's legit and you get it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Archeten89

Post by Archeten89 »

Thanks, Junk Yard Dog! Still very new to this forum (and Mosin collecting for that matter) so I appreciate the explanation and good graces.

Hoping one of the PU experts weighs in on this. :)

Best,
-Ren
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Is it legit?, well all the parts are, but my phone doesn't allow enough detail to say 100% it is a legit sniper, that and the gallon of gun oil they wiped it down with.

That said $2400.00 is a bit steep for a legit 44 Izhevsk PU with an arsenal replaced scope in todays market
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

A Tulsky import for sure. Legit. Question is, is it worth that price?

Daryrl
Archeten89

Post by Archeten89 »

Miller Tyme wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:05 pm Is it legit?, well all the parts are, but my phone doesn't allow enough detail to say 100% it is a legit sniper, that and the gallon of gun oil they wiped it down with.

That said $2400.00 is a bit steep for a legit 44 Izhevsk PU with an arsenal replaced scope in todays market

Thanks for weighing in! I really appreciate the insight. Question, if you can tell that the parts are legit, what else would you need to be able to see on the rifle to determine if it is 100% a legit sniper?

Best,
-Ren
Archeten89

Post by Archeten89 »

Darryl wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:12 pm A Tulsky import for sure. Legit. Question is, is it worth that price?

Daryrl
Ah! I had to look up what Tulsky was. I see what you mean. The "T" trademark is the key giveaway.

And yes, I thought the price seemed high. The rifle is in superb condition, but others in similar condition are going for 2/3rds-3/4 that price. Hmm...

Best,
-Ren
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

The entire PU sniper is a "real" sniper.

Exported by Tulsky from Russia.

All real, just the price seems a little high but in today's market, maybe not.

Darryl
Archeten89

Post by Archeten89 »

Darryl wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:42 am The entire PU sniper is a "real" sniper.

Exported by Tulsky from Russia.

All real, just the price seems a little high but in today's market, maybe not.

Darryl
Thanks, Darryl! Your expertise is greatly appreciated. :)

Best,
-Ren
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

The scope looks correct but I suspect that the gun was put together at Tulsky or during refurbishment based on the electro penciling. The rifle itself was a true sniper at one time. Even though the scope number on the left side of the shank was crossed out, the rifle was surely a sniper at some point. Izhevsk stamped the scope serial number on the left side of the shank. The cut out in the stock for the scope mount looks original. If an importer had done it the cut would be sharper. This cut has some age to it. This is not an original sniper rifle in my opinion though. The scope is a replacement but of the correct vintage. Of all the guns I have purchased over the years, I have stayed away from these. Nice stock on the gun too. I'll say that you paid a premium for this rifle.
Archeten89

Post by Archeten89 »

qz2026 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:08 am The scope looks correct but I suspect that the gun was put together at Tulsky or during refurbishment based on the electro penciling. The rifle itself was a true sniper at one time. Even though the scope number on the left side of the shank was crossed out, the rifle was surely a sniper at some point. Izhevsk stamped the scope serial number on the left side of the shank. The cut out in the stock for the scope mount looks original. If an importer had done it the cut would be sharper. This cut has some age to it. This is not an original sniper rifle in my opinion though. The scope is a replacement but of the correct vintage. Of all the guns I have purchased over the years, I have stayed away from these. Nice stock on the gun too. I'll say that you paid a premium for this rifle.
An expert Mosin Nagant sniper opinion, and from a fellow northern Michigander no less! Thank you, sir. Yes, I'm sure I paid a premium for the rifle. The heart wants what the heart wants, know what I mean? Thanks for weighing in. The more I study, the more I see that this rifle is not a "true" original sniper, as it is an arsenal rebuild. But the fact that it is not a fake or a knock-off is good enough for me.

Best,
-Ren
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Archeten89 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:15 am
qz2026 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:08 am The scope looks correct but I suspect that the gun was put together at Tulsky or during refurbishment based on the electro penciling. The rifle itself was a true sniper at one time. Even though the scope number on the left side of the shank was crossed out, the rifle was surely a sniper at some point. Izhevsk stamped the scope serial number on the left side of the shank. The cut out in the stock for the scope mount looks original. If an importer had done it the cut would be sharper. This cut has some age to it. This is not an original sniper rifle in my opinion though. The scope is a replacement but of the correct vintage. Of all the guns I have purchased over the years, I have stayed away from these. Nice stock on the gun too. I'll say that you paid a premium for this rifle.
An expert Mosin Nagant sniper opinion, and from a fellow northern Michigander no less! Thank you, sir. Yes, I'm sure I paid a premium for the rifle. The heart wants what the heart wants, know what I mean? Thanks for weighing in. The more I study, the more I see that this rifle is not a "true" original sniper, as it is an arsenal rebuild. But the fact that it is not a fake or a knock-off is good enough for me.

Best,
-Ren
Where are you? I'm in Gaylord
Archeten89

Post by Archeten89 »

qz2026 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:31 am

Best,
-Ren
No kidding! I drive through Gaylord all the time. I'm in Brimley now, in the UP. Born and raised in Traverse City!

Small world!

-Ren
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

Archeten89,

the "real deals" are out there, although in shrinking supply......having something close is better than nothing at all........
Archeten89

Post by Archeten89 »

tomaustin wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:31 pm Archeten89,

the "real deals" are out there, although in shrinking supply......having something close is better than nothing at all........
That's what I'm thinking! From the insight I've gotten from other commenters, it looks like the rifle is legit and is a real sniper, but the scope is an arsenal addition (though it looks like the scope was made around the same time period as the rifle, perhaps a few years later).

Obviously, an original sniper AND original scope from WWII would be the coolest thing ever, but I'll be happy to have an original WWII mosin sniper with a scope that was added later during the arsenal rebuild process.

Best,
-Ren
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Archeten89 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:57 am

Best,
-Ren
No kidding! I drive through Gaylord all the time. I'm in Brimley now, in the UP. Born and raised in Traverse City!

Small world!

-Ren
Let me know when you are coming through sometime. Maybe we can get together... I've never been to Brimley or east in the UP. Once in a while I go up to Manistee Lakes to fish a little. My brother lives in Escanaba. I bet the fishing near Brimley is pretty good...
Archeten89

Post by Archeten89 »

qz2026 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:09 am
Archeten89 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:57 am

Best,
-Ren

Small world!

-Ren
Let me know when you are coming through sometime. Maybe we can get together... I've never been to Brimley or east in the UP. Once in a while I go up to Manistee Lakes to fish a little. My brother lives in Escanaba. I bet the fishing near Brimley is pretty good...

Sounds great! Will do. I visit family in Traverse often, so I frequently pass through Gaylord, especially during summer.

And the fishing here is great from what I hear! I live near Monocle Lake and I've seen folks pull pike out of there.

Best,
-Ren
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Authenticity and originality are two different things and mean different things to different people.

It's been refurbished and parts have been replaced, but they were replaced with parts from other sniper rifles or with replacement parts made by the USSR military repair depots. The work was performed by a USSR military refurbishment depot. This rifle is in the state that the USSR military left it in and could have been reissued to Russian troops for them to murder Ukrainians with. That makes it authentic.

It is not original. An original rifle has all the parts it was born with and has not been refinished. Any original Mosin Nagant is exceptionally rare. Original snipers more so.

The Tulsky rifles are all pretty consistent. You know what you're getting with them. They are authentic and make great shooters, they're just refurbished and not entirely original. Some have more original parts that others, but it's hard to prove. That may or may not bother some folks. Just know what you are getting.

If an original sniper is what you want, then you better find some dedicated collector who owns one and make good friends with them, because that's about the only place you will find one. They don't just pop up for sale online.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
Archeten89

Post by Archeten89 »

AMCHornet wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:30 pm Authenticity and originality are two different things and mean different things to different people.

It's been refurbished and parts have been replaced, but they were replaced with parts from other sniper rifles or with replacement parts made by the USSR military repair depots. The work was performed by a USSR military refurbishment depot. This rifle is in the state that the USSR military left it in and could have been reissued to Russian troops for them to murder Ukrainians with. That makes it authentic.

It is not original. An original rifle has all the parts it was born with and has not been refinished. Any original Mosin Nagant is exceptionally rare. Original snipers more so.

The Tulsky rifles are all pretty consistent. You know what you're getting with them. They are authentic and make great shooters, they're just refurbished and not entirely original. Some have more original parts that others, but it's hard to prove. That may or may not bother some folks. Just know what you are getting.

If an original sniper is what you want, then you better find some dedicated collector who owns one and make good friends with them, because that's about the only place you will find one. They don't just pop up for sale online.

Thanks for the detailed response! I really appreciate it. This is a lot of valuable info and it helps me see the difference between 'original' and 'authentic.'

Best,
-Ren