Mosin Nagant pricing: Interesting read

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SA1911a1

Mosin Nagant pricing: Interesting read

Post by SA1911a1 »

Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Mosin Nagant pricing: Interesting read

Post by Darryl »

A little scary knowing what my collection is worth now compared to what I paid.

At some point, I will be selling them for some "cash"! :thumbsup:

My wife told me "don't leave those guns for me to deal with after you die!....SO, ......

Darryl
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Darryl wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:36 pm A little scary knowing what my collection is worth now compared to what I paid.

At some point, I will be selling them for some "cash"! :thumbsup:

My wife told me "don't leave those guns for me to deal with after you die!....SO, ......

Darryl
I am in that process now. My wife hasn't mentioned it, but I don't want to leave her with the gun headache. I am at that age that I could check into the funeral home without a reservation. In the past few months I have sold about a dozen of my more common rifles, and I almost feel guilty about how much I am getting for them. Almost. I want to get down to about 20 or fewer long guns. I will say this; I am getting a far better return on the more common pieces than on the more valuable stuff. The 43 Izhevsk will sell far faster than a more collectible rifle and at a better return. Not much collector market locally.

The FFL that I am selling through tells me that it is gamers that are buying the 91/30s. I have had a pristine Polish rifle in the place for $600.00 for about sixty days with no takers and even no offers. It won't break my heart if it doesn't sell.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Unimaginable a few years ago my ass, I said this was going to happen 15 years ago when 91/30's sold for under a hundred bucks. I urged people to buy them cheap, and stack them deep. The Mosin is no different than any other surplus military rifle in that they start off selling cheap and are plentiful. Then one day the flow stops, prices rise rapidly. I watched it happen to the US milsurps, then the Enfields, Mausers, Arisakas, and so on.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:pointup: Yep.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

wow!! That's insane. My meager collection is worth some bucks!! And when I look at it, nope, ain't selling any more.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:01 am Unimaginable a few years ago my ass, I said this was going to happen 15 years ago when 91/30's sold for under a hundred bucks. I urged people to buy them cheap, and stack them deep. The Mosin is no different than any other surplus military rifle in that they start off selling cheap and are plentiful. Then one day the flow stops, prices rise rapidly. I watched it happen to the US milsurps, then the Enfields, Mausers, Arisakas, and so on.
Jim I bought my first Mosin Nagant, a Polish M44, at Big 5 Sporting Goods in Tracy, CA in like 1996 for $89 I think. Then I realized what an absolute blast it was and when I moved to Louisiana 11 years later after kicking myself for not buying more of them in 1996 I bought a bunch of them. 18 to be exact. M91/30s. M44s and 2 PU snipers. I watched all the ignorant posts in forums by clueless gits making fun of them and calling them junk while adding scopes to them and refinishing them because "They made millions of them, it doesn't matter if I destroy this one". Now who's laughing, LMMFAO!!!! Muhahaha!!!
WSarchet

Post by WSarchet »

We will see if it's continuous or if it's a bubble. Classic cars seemed to be climbing in price forever... until they weren't. And I expect there's going to be more than a couple unknown high-quality collections that hit the market in the next couple decades as many of the older collectors pass. Many of those fellows never really talked about their collections beyond perhaps a local club, so who knows what is tucked away in their safes. A half-dozen m/91rvs hitting the market all at once would probably have a negative effect on the price.
Mosey

Post by Mosey »

Man, I kick myself all the time for not buying more guns as soon as I came of age (which was quite a long time ago now). Didnt buy my first firearm until 2020 when everything was already going crazy in every sense of the word. I was lucky to get my Mosin for $200 and man, it's so dang nice I would expect it to sell for at least $900 now minimum based on how much the beater ones are selling for. Also waiting to hear back confirmation from what I would call a "Mosin Expert" about an apparently very rare characteristic that might make it even more valuable. But someone would have to offer some pretty heavy bricks of cash to get me to sell it.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: MOSEY :bs.gif:
MongooseLaw

Post by MongooseLaw »

People like to look at gunbroker/online auctions for pricing but that can be a weird market. I see alot of refurb 91/30's at local gunshows for 400ish and they aren't moving....especially now, I think it's slowed down a bit with current inflation concerns, etc. I've had a really nice "rare" Syrian mauser for sale for several weeks now, didn't move until I dropped it to $625....gunbroker would tell me that's a unique mauser worth 750+.... you can't apply the same values from gunbroker to your local gun market
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

MongooseLaw wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:02 am People like to look at gunbroker/online auctions for pricing but that can be a weird market. I see alot of refurb 91/30's at local gunshows for 400ish and they aren't moving....especially now, I think it's slowed down a bit with current inflation concerns, etc. I've had a really nice "rare" Syrian mauser for sale for several weeks now, didn't move until I dropped it to $625....gunbroker would tell me that's a unique mauser worth 750+.... you can't apply the same values from gunbroker to your local gun market
A lot of the "slowing down" is because of the economy. No money because we have to pay such a huge price for eggs, bread, milk and on and on.
That will slow down all sales.
Darryl