Gunsmith for mosin trigger job in Houston Texas?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Austin26

Gunsmith for mosin trigger job in Houston Texas?

Post by Austin26 »

Hello,

Does anyone know a trusted gunsmith in the Houston area that can do a trigger job on a Mosin? My M39 has a squishy and frankly, terrible, trigger though it's clean. It's even worse than my 91/30's which makes no sense to me.

I watched the trigger job video by IraqiVet8888 and while I don't trust myself with it, I'd like it improved if possible.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you.

Austin
SA1911a1

Re: Gunsmith for mosin trigger job in Houston Texas?

Post by SA1911a1 »

You might try one of the add-on trigger springs. Other than that, I would just learn to shoot with it like it is, it is a battle weapon, not a precision rifle.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Nope. Wouldn't do it. One of my favorite Mosin's is my 1942 Izhevsk 91/30 with a heavy creepy trigger. By far the worst trigger I've tried in this platform. I ran over 300 rounds through it & I learned a lot with that trigger... Made me a much better shot overall. I love & appreciate that rifle, wouldn't change a thing.

If you want a sweet trigger? I say go buy a modern Remchester & trick that out.... Enjoy the old milsurp for what it is. Just my 2-cents...

1942 Izhevsk 91/30 trigger-finger-buster
1942 Izhevsk 9130 AAA1.jpg
1942 Izhevsk 9130 A4.jpg
1942 Izhevsk 9130 A2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Problem is, You could spend hundreds of dollars and end up with a barrel or action that is "crap".
These were never intended for target shooting. They were intended to hit a man a t fairly close range. AND, they did.

Darryl
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

There was a time when M-39 triggers were readily available. It's rare to find one these days though. There is a company that sells US manufactured CNC built triggers for the Finn rifles. This might be an option for you to at least try. Other than that a "trigger job" to me is quite risky and worst case, I would recommend you get used to the trigger you hvve.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I have one of those M39 triggers running aaround here.

Darryl
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Austin26 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:13 am Hello,

Does anyone know a trusted gunsmith in the Houston area that can do a trigger job on a Mosin? My M39 has a squishy and frankly, terrible, trigger though it's clean. It's even worse than my 91/30's which makes no sense to me.

I watched the trigger job video by IraqiVet8888 and while I don't trust myself with it, I'd like it improved if possible.

Austin
. Have you checked the screw tightness in the sear/spring ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Austin26

Post by Austin26 »

Thank you all for your imput. I didn't receive a notification until I was just quoted so that's why I haven't responded until now. Being that the Finns tinkered with the Mosin extensively, I'm not sure how the trigger is so poor. It also surprised me that my 91/30's trigger is better to me somehow. While I do appreciate the sentiment of "learn how to shoot with a poor trigger, it'll only make you better", I have plenty enough experience with irons and wish to improve the trigger without significantly changing anything. I'm not sure if something is "wrong" with it or maybe I am just misinformed. I don't see how the Finns replaced every single part of the Mosins except the action to create the M39 only to not care about the trigger. I feel like I'm missing something.
steelbuttplate wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:27 am

Austin
Are you talking about the small screw that holds the spring in place? I will check this this weekend.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Austin26 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:19 am Thank you all for your imput. I didn't receive a notification until I was just quoted so that's why I haven't responded until now. Being that the Finns tinkered with the Mosin extensively, I'm not sure how the trigger is so poor. It also surprised me that my 91/30's trigger is better to me somehow. While I do appreciate the sentiment of "learn how to shoot with a poor trigger, it'll only make you better", I have plenty enough experience with irons and wish to improve the trigger without significantly changing anything. I'm not sure if something is "wrong" with it or maybe I am just misinformed. I don't see how the Finns replaced every single part of the Mosins except the action to create the M39 only to not care about the trigger. I feel like I'm missing something.
steelbuttplate wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:27 am

Austin
Are you talking about the small screw that holds the spring in place? I will check this this weekend.
I think that's the one. I had one that had excessive creep . I also had one that wouldn't cock and one that wouldn't fire. I can't remember which one now, but it was just that screw loose that caused it.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Austin26

Post by Austin26 »

Thank you steelbuttplate. I didn't get around to it yet but I will. Hopefully it's as simple as that.
Heavy Metal 1

Post by Heavy Metal 1 »

More than 15 years ago I put one of the original Huber triggers in my 91/30 [totally reversible, no permanent changes to the rifle] and it is crisp w/o creep, stacking, grit or drag. I see they now offer a few more selections: https://huberconcepts.com/product/mosin-nagant-trigger/
I'm made of metal, my circuits gleem, I am perpetual, I keep the country clean.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Heavy Metal 1 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:40 pm More than 15 years ago I put one of the original Huber triggers in my 91/30 [totally reversible, no permanent changes to the rifle] and it is crisp w/o creep, stacking, grit or drag. I see they now offer a few more selections: https://huberconcepts.com/product/mosin-nagant-trigger/
I don't see a problem using one of these triggrs. It is easy to keep the original so if you do sell it, it goes with it.

I know, I have heard it a thousand times "I will never sell this rifle", then you see it for sale later on.
Just keep the old trigger with the rifle.

Darryl