New gun laws.

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
steelbuttplate

New gun laws.

Post by steelbuttplate »

Does anybody understand what just got signed into law ? I've heard a ban on AR/Assault style rifles and high cap mags...Does it mean no future sales, or more than that ? Is it illegal to own a bump fire now ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Re: New gun laws.

Post by SA1911a1 »

What new law? State or Federal? It is the first I have heard of it.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:09 am What new law? State or Federal? It is the first I have heard of it.
Federal. Biden signed it yesterday or day before.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:18 am
SA1911a1 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:09 am What new law? State or Federal? It is the first I have heard of it.
Federal. Biden signed it yesterday or day before.
It must be a big secret. I can't find anything about it. Like us to your source.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:39 pm Does anybody understand what just got signed into law ? I've heard a ban on AR/Assault style rifles and high cap mags...Does it mean no future sales, or more than that ? Is it illegal to own a bump fire now ?
That is just the left's wet dream. i don't think we're there yet. Joe did sign a big green plan in the last few days. Maybe that's what you are thinking of.
I'm not sure about the bumpstocks though. Although If they are, that was Trump era.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
CavemanSteve

Post by CavemanSteve »

My understanding is "Guedes v. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, No. 21-5045" upheld the bumps took ban last week.
The Senate passed a gun control bill a few weeks ago, but the house hasn't. Nothing signed into law.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Hr 1808 has passed the House, but not the Senate. Would need 60 votes to pass the Senate... Not too likely.

Details of the Bill listed below courtesy of Congress.gov
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/1808

H.R.1808 — 117th Congress (2021-2022)
All Information (Except Text)
There are 3 summaries for H.R.1808.

Bill summaries are authored by CRS.
Shown Here:
Passed House (07/29/2022)

Assault Weapons Ban of 2022

This bill makes it a crime to knowingly import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess a semiautomatic assault weapon (SAW) or large capacity ammunition feeding device (LCAFD).

The prohibition does not apply to a firearm that is (1) manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action, except for certain shotguns; (2) permanently inoperable; (3) an antique; (4) only capable of firing rimfire ammunition; or (5) a rifle or shotgun specifically identified by make and model.

The bill also exempts from the prohibition the following, with respect to a SAW or LCAFD:

importation, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession related to certain law enforcement efforts, or authorized tests or experiments;
importation, sale, transfer, or possession related to securing nuclear materials; and
possession by a retired law enforcement officer.

The bill permits continued possession, sale, or transfer of a grandfathered SAW, which must be securely stored. A licensed gun dealer must conduct a background check prior to the sale or transfer of a grandfathered SAW between private parties.

The bill permits continued possession of, but prohibits sale or transfer of, a grandfathered LCAFD.

Newly manufactured LCAFDs must display serial number identification. Newly manufactured SAWs and LCAFDs must display the date of manufacture.

The bill also allows a state or local government to use Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Program funds to compensate individuals who surrender a SAW or LCAFD under a buy-back program.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I'll say this is the left's wet dream. Pretty much outlaws the sale of all semi auto rifles, pistols and magazines over 15 round capacity. After enacted such magazines must have a s/n. All future rifles must have the date of manufacture. The sale of grand father weapons must go through FFL. Will see about that since state laws trump the federal laws. For now, at least in Michigan, FTF sales are legal.

The description is interesting - "To regulate assault weapons, to ensure that the right to keep and bear arms is not unlimited, and for other purposes." Typical smoke and mirrors that they are placing on all of their bills... You just can't make this stuff up.

Co-sponsored by every Demoncrat in the House.

We'll see what the Senate says about this. But, knowing the Senate, they'll pass it. Will just have to see how the RINO's react to it. That said, this is the most radical and comprehensive bill to date. For sure, it's unconstitutional but so are all bans even on magazine capacity. If passed, I suspect it will immediately go to the SC for as much good that would do anymore.

It seems that this is their last attempt knowing that they will be slaughtered in November although I don't hold much hope. There is still this issue about election integrity that has yet to be seriously addressed.

Oh, BTW, the text is available for those who wish to read it.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Even if the Senate passes this it will be tossed out in the Supreme Court.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

We would hope so... But, as far as I can tell, the SC has done nothing good in the last 100 years except throwing out Roe vs. Wade... I have little trust in them even though there is a "conservative" majority. The only issue would be how soon they would hear the case and how quickly victims sue. How many lives will be destroyed during that time?
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

legislation for making people smarter and not shooting one another is an impossible dream...

they can address a commercial issue as to sales, but it will never solve stupidity.....

a faction of idiots, criminals and just bad people within our population will never follow the rules...................
monic81

Post by monic81 »

yeah, the "assault weapons" that were banned for a period and are now legal are only semi-automatic.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

monic81 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:39 pm yeah, the "assault weapons" that were banned for a period and are now legal are only semi-automatic.
Full auto weapons have been illegal to own since 1968.
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

Steel....

with the proper certification from the government, full auto weapons are widely owned throughout the United States......

there are several major dealers in the country who routinely advertise their inventory.....

BUT, IT AIN'T CHEAP...............thompsons are $20,000 minimum with none or few accessories with the weapon......

a BAR was recently offered for $35,200.00....tight supply drives up the $$$.....
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

steelbuttplate wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:15 am
monic81 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:39 pm yeah, the "assault weapons" that were banned for a period and are now legal are only semi-automatic.
Full auto weapons have been illegal to own since 1968.
Not illegal. Just regulated. There are many around if you are in the right State.
You can own but heavy regulated.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

:thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

Contrary to popular belief, it is perfectly legal for a law-abiding citizen of the United States to own and possess a machine gun ..

this is not a state-based ownership issue......................
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

tomaustin wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:50 pm Contrary to popular belief, it is perfectly legal for a law-abiding citizen of the United States to own and possess a machine gun ..

this is not a state-based ownership issue......................
Yes I misspoke, illegal for the average citizen, illegal for face to face sale, requiring a background check back that probably takes weeks and a Class 3 firearms license that cost $500 years ago.
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

and I surely do not mean to suggest that it is a walk in the park to find an available weapon, grab up the $$$$, call the seller on the phone/internet, make the offer, get his acceptance, get the wire transfer///or send him cash-check-money order, contact your receiving FFL type guy, have him set-in-motion the wheels of transferring the weapon out to you/the buyer, waiting until it eventually arrives at your FFL, still in lock-down at your receiving dealer-type person, getting all docs in place, and waiting for the phone to ring and hearing---COME AND GET IT...!!!

then, up your insurance coverage on this beautiful addition to your collection......

have fun...

it is a HOOT to do.....!!!
entropy

Post by entropy »

One those of you who own AR pistols with braces on them might want to pay attention to is ATF Final Rule 2021-08F: (Not just AR's, BTW, all braced pistols)

120 days after it is entered into the Federal Register, (which should be Monday Jan. 16, 2023) you will have to have either 1.) Removed the brace from your pistol, and render it unusable, and put a pistol buffer tube on it, or 2.) register any AR pistols you have as SBR's with the appropriate Form 1 filled out. The ATF will waive the $200 tax, but it has to have been made on a legal receiver as of Friday, Jan. 13, 2023. There are 3 other options:

3. Remove the short barrel and attach a 16" or longer rifled barrel. Not sure if constructive possession applies if you keep the short barrel.

4. Turn it over to the ATF.

5. Destroy it.

Hopefully, this will be challenged ( and it loses) in court; GOA plans to, not sure about NRA.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien