Mosin bolt issue

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
Tula44

Re: Mosin bolt issue

Post by Tula44 »

It's a common thing with Mosin Nagant rifles. What type of surplus ammo were you using? While 50-75 rounds might not sound like a lot, the rifle does get hot and any cosmoline left behind is bound to surface.

Do you have any pictures of your rifle? :thumbsup:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Sticky bolt syndrome?

Darryl
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

Can't remember who told me this or where I read it. But it went something like Mosin's were built when men were men don't be afraid to get rough with it. If some poor Russian farmer didn't manage to break it in WW1 and some poor Soviet Conscript didn't manage to break it in WW2 your not gonna manage to break it just be being a little rougher when working the bolt.

That being said Tula is right 50 - 75 rounds may not seem like a lot but it would be enough to get any left over cosmo to surface so check your chamber and locking recesses for any cosmo that might have seeped out.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sticky bolt, do a search on the board and it will likely turn up hundreds of posts as well as the common ways to deal with it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:04 pm Sticky bolt, do a search on the board and it will likely turn up hundreds of posts as well as the common ways to deal with it.
Actually Jim, I searched sticky bolt in the forum search spot and it told me that sticky bolt was too common of a term and to basically fuck off. I didn't know what to to do with that. I know there are multiple threads on here answering the sticky bolt issue. How do we link to them? This would help many people.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

From the RMNF Knowledge base, click the button at the top of the page, navigate to FAQ's, question five on that list. The board search doesn't seem to want to look for it, maybe we asked it too many times. OOOO size steel wool wrapped around that bore brush and coated with JB bore paste, mount it oon a section of cleaning rod and then chuck that in a drill, drill only the chamber, NOT the rifling. Sometimes you may have to do this two or more times before all the crud is out, and if you shoot surplus you may have to do it again every now and then.

Q5 My Bolt sticks after I fire a round, and I can hardly get the bolt open. What is this?

My Bolt sticks after I fire a round, and I can hardly get the bolt open. What is this?
This is know as "Sticky Bolt Syndrome" and is common in Mosin Nagants. There are a couple of things that can cause this.

Failure to clean the old cosmoline completely out of the chamber. All it takes is one small hard to see piece of dried cosmoline on the chamber wall and it will "glue" the last round fired in place. The heat will soften the cosmoline just enough and when the brass case expands in the chamber it will glue that round right in. Opening the bolt and tapping the bolt handle backwards with a rubber mallet till it releases is the best way to open.. If that fails, you can get a wooden dowel small enough to fit inside the opening of an empty brass case. stick it down the barrel (muzzle end) and tap the case out with a small hammer. a good solid ramrod works or even the ramrod that comes on it, but be careful not to mess up the crown (muzzle end).

The second thing that can cause this (but much less likely) is steel cased ammo with lacquer on them. Some of the older ammo that is steel cased have this problem, but for the most part the new steel is OK. Some old brass rounds are coated also. This lacquer (or clear coating) has the same effect as the cosmoline above. So clearing it is the same.

When you get those new Mosin Nagant rifles, take a 24 ga shotgun brass brush to the chamber and clean it really good before taking it to the range and you will not have the problems....usually! LOL
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

An old toothbrush with Hoppe's on it will get into the locking lug cuts like nothing else. Then,use clean patches on the brush until they come out with no brown on them. You may have to repeat the process if it's gummed up bad. :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:19 am From the RMNF Knowledge base, click the button at the top of the page, navigate to FAQ's, question five on that list. The board search doesn't seem to want to look for it, maybe we asked it too many times. OOOO size steel wool wrapped around that bore brush and coated with JB bore paste, mount it on a section of cleaning rod and then chuck that in a drill, drill only the chamber, NOT the rifling. Sometimes you may have to do this two or more times before all the crud is out, and if you shoot surplus you may have to do it again every now and then.
I'll add you should patch it out, use some brake cleaner to rinse out the Bore paste residue & then a tea-pot of boiling water down the bore/chamber. A very light amount of oil, wipe out & good to go... Usually.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Some_Mook

Post by Some_Mook »

Might want to take a look at the primers on the spent cases. If they look like they have pushed out of the case and flattened against the bolt face that would also cause it to be very hard to work the bolt after firing. If this appears to be your issue, double check the firing pin depth. Too much protrusion of the firing pin can cause this on berdan primers - the pin mashes the primer so hard into the case anvil that it deforms the primer.
abrakadabra

Post by abrakadabra »

This 'user' is attempting to scam others via pm. Copy and pasting old post topics to build up his post count: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=30286
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

abrakadabra wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:09 pm This 'user' is attempting to scam others via pm. Copy and pasting old post topics to build up his post count: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=30286
What do you mean? I clicked that link, and the only one I didn't know only had like 14 posts since 2014.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
abrakadabra

Post by abrakadabra »

What do you mean? I clicked that link, and the only one I didn't know only had like 14 posts since 2014.
[/quote]

The original poster of this thread (who has been banned now, notice his original post at the top of this thread has been deleted), copy and pasted the exact opening paragraph from the thread I linked to from 2017. Pretty common technique to appear like a genuine user, while scamming people in the pm's. I saw this over on milsurps forum and was contacted via pm by this scammer from 2 different accounts.

They build up a post count and then pm users who have posted a WTB thread and tell you to contact 'another member' who has what you're looking for, like this: