Cheap defense shotgun

Everything shotgun discussed here.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Cheap defense shotgun

Post by bunkysdad »

I walked into Academy recently just before the presidential election with no plans to buy or even see anything defense related because the shelves were bare for months. I have been keeping my eye out for a Mossberg Maverick 88 but when I walked to the counter there was a pistol grip 12 ga Steven’s for 189.00. I grabbed it since I didn’t have a shirt barrel 12 ga and stuffed it full of buckshot. Still haven’t shot it much and it kicks like hell wouldn’t have it but I like it. Made in China like a lot of stuff these daysImage
tomaustin

Re: Cheap defense shotgun

Post by tomaustin »

you bought a cheap shotgun for your personal protection...?

might ought to rethink that.....
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Looks good! A short barreled shotgun with an extended magazine and a light lives right by my side of the bed. Mine was derived from a used Wingmaster and a chop-saw.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:thumbsup: I think those will slam fire 6 rounds like a model 12.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

My son has a short barrel Maverick but his doesn't have the pistol grip just the regular stock. It shoots just fine and he keeps it in his camper for unwanted visitors of the furry kind. :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

tomaustin wrote:you bought a cheap shotgun for your personal protection...?

What is there to rethink Tom?
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

tomaustin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:24 am you bought a cheap shotgun for your personal protection...?

That is the price, not the quality.
I have the Savage/Stevens (almost the same shotgun as yours is) but different model and without the pistol grip and it has "ghost ring sites".
It is great and functions every time.

mine is a Savage Stevens 320 model
I paid $215 for it new in 2012.

Darryl
savage_stevens.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Beretta model A-300 stainless steel 12 gauge auto, former British military shotgun stays close to hand. That and the Winchester 1897 WW1 trench gun, neither gun is even remotely cheap, or easy to find, but both are awesome shooters. I do have several Mossberg 500 cruisers that are scattered around the place in hidden locations. We are a cash business, so we are heavily armed.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

I have a Turkish 12 gauge shotgun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bogozzo

Post by bogozzo »

Weatherby PA-08 in 20GA sitting in closet. 20GA so wife can handle it if I'm busy. light and short. Had bought an Armsan 12 GA with just the pistol grip, put one box of target loads through it and sold it - my wrists couldn't take it, even when jammed against my thigh.
entropy

Post by entropy »

This sits next to my bed:
Ithaca 37.jpg
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Some_Mook

Post by Some_Mook »

Rock Island Armory markets a Turkish made shotguns - designated VR series. I picked up a VRPA40 magazine fed pump earlier this year for under $400. Runs pretty good after a few hundred rounds. Comes with ghost ring rear sight and a fiber optic front and the adjustable comb. 3" chamber but the available 19 round mag only accepts 2-3/4. The other magazine options are 9 and 5 and comes with a spacer to reduce the 5 round mag capacity to 2 to be legal for migratory bird hunting. Fun to shoot and with some #8 shot it makes cleaning the rust and old paint off of my steel targets a breeze when it is time to repaint them.