Jaw dropping pricing

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SA1911a1

Jaw dropping pricing

Post by SA1911a1 »

I haven't been on Gun Broker in probably a year and I have to tell you that I am floorboarded by the pricing on Mosins. I had no clue that they had appreciated so much.

I was looking at a nothing special, '43 Izhevsk 91/30, started at $299.99 25 bidders later, now bidding at $400.00 with five days to go!
$79.00 Nagant revolvers- $500.00 range.
PU sniper, noted as not original, $900.00 and bidding
SVT-40s 3-4 grand!

Damned if I don't think it is time for me to cash out some rifles before the recession hits this fall.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
mogunner

Re: Jaw dropping pricing

Post by mogunner »

I've been toying with the idea of letting my 1928 Izhevsk ex-dragoon 91/30 go, it's in immaculate condition so I bet I could get that $400 for it pretty easy, it's in a gorgeous laminate stock and is the best shooter that I ran across out of all the ones I had over the years...I haven't shot it in probably five years, iron sights and me just don't get along well anymore. BUT...it's my last one other than the 1935 Izhevsk 91/30 that I "gave" to my son for his birthday years ago that he's never fired, that still sits here next to the 1928 and my 41 Carcano TS.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Have a good plan for the cash that will be worth less as the recession gets worse? Guns always hold value during dark times better than most anything else.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

All our "extra" cash has been either going into the business for improvements, or the house and property. Cleared out areas and planted fruit trees, 10 plum, 10 persimmon, 10 pawpaw, will add peach and apple in next year. Still need some parts for the renovation of the 1969 IMPALA too, but the weatherstripping kit is more than the Mosin would bring!
stonewallskullworks

Post by stonewallskullworks »

How much was gas per gallon when you could get Nagant revolvers for 79.00? The value of these guns did not really go up that much, they just held their value while the value of the dollar plummeted. Idk how much gas was when you could get one for 79.00 but I would guess near 1.00 per gallon so for the cost of a Nagant Revolver you could get 79 gallons of gas, today in my area 79 gallons of gas would cost you 395.00. Not sure if i am explaining my viewpoint very well or not but I am just saying that to really tell if your guns held value or appreciated you need to not just compare the dollar amount but compare what you could buy with the dollars, the value of that dollar at the time of the firearm purchase vs now/time of sale
Heavy Metal 1

Post by Heavy Metal 1 »

I get it Stonewall...this is why I roll my eyes when the "Wow look what rifles you could get for $45.00 in 1965!" threads.
I'm made of metal, my circuits gleem, I am perpetual, I keep the country clean.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cheapest I ever bought an M1 was $180 in 1994, according to the inflation calculator that's $355.02 in 2022's dollars. M1's like that 1943 Springfield are easily topping $1400 now so I am definitely beyond inflation price there. $79 M1891/30's aren't that far back in time, I believe it was 2007 the last time I bought one that cheap, least I ever paid for one was $55 also around 2007-8. That's $112.76 with a cumulative rate of inflation 41% for the $79 one. As for gas at a buck a gallon, that is a price I haven't seen here in the New York tri state area since the mid 1980's. In 1986 when I pulled my '72 Coupe DeVille into the cheapest off brand gas station in town for that .99 a gallon gas I remember bitching about the price, but that's just $2.67 in todays money. Anyone here paying $2.67 for gas today? If so let me know because we all would like to take advantage of that. The short of all this is that yes, you all are paying a shit ton more for guns today than us older collectors did just ten or twelve years ago even adjusted for inflation. Lets not even get into how much more you are paying for ammo now compared to 12 years ago, also well over what inflation would account for.

According to the inflation calculator we are seeing the biggest jack in prices across the board in 43 years, and it's not over yet.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
stonewallskullworks

Post by stonewallskullworks »

I bought my first m44 with a 880 round crate of ammo when I was 18, which was 17 years ago, I think it was around 160.00 total. My buddy made so much fun of me for spending so much on an old junker, I still have that gun and the crate of ammo but I can guarantee I wouldn't still have that cash.

I look at my collection as a way to preserve wealth and if it can do more than that I would be great. I am not sure if that is realistic or if that is what I tell myself to justify buying more guns. I think the mosins will hold their value and appreciate but to to the extent they have over the last 15 years but I hope I am wrong. It seems they have gone up 5x in the last 15 years, I dont see them being worth 5x more in 15 years. I would be happy if the double over the next 15 years
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Yep, time to thin out my herd a bit. I have never sold a firarm that I have ever bought .... but .... It may be time now that I am retired. I can't even clean them all in two days anyway...so.

Darryl
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

If you plan on selling, this is probably the tail end of crazy prices. I would expect cheaper stuff as people have to sell due to the economy and probable job losses. Also, people aren't going to be able to afford paying 2-3 times market value for stuff. So, that should dampen prices. Within the past year, I saw an ugly M28/30 with horribly sanded stock sell for $1,200 and a 91/30 with one of those .22lr replica 91/30s and a spam can sell for $1,400. I've seen other ridiculous prices this past year. Again, I expect this to cool off since people aren't getting "free" money, and the markets are tanking.
Mosin Fanboy
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:14 am Cheapest I ever bought an M1 was $180 in 1994, according to the inflation calculator that's $355.02 in 2022's dollars. M1's like that 1943 Springfield are easily topping $1400 now so I am definitely beyond inflation price there. $79 M1891/30's aren't that far back in time, I believe it was 2007 the last time I bought one that cheap, least I ever paid for one was $55 also around 2007-8. That's $112.76 with a cumulative rate of inflation 41% for the $79 one. As for gas at a buck a gallon, that is a price I haven't seen here in the New York tri state area since the mid 1980's. In 1986 when I pulled my '72 Coupe DeVille into the cheapest off brand gas station in town for that .99 a gallon gas I remember bitching about the price, but that's just $2.67 in todays money. Anyone here paying $2.67 for gas today? If so let me know because we all would like to take advantage of that. The short of all this is that yes, you all are paying a shit ton more for guns today than us older collectors did just ten or twelve years ago even adjusted for inflation. Lets not even get into how much more you are paying for ammo now compared to 12 years ago, also well over what inflation would account for.

According to the inflation calculator we are seeing the biggest jack in prices across the board in 43 years, and it's not over yet.
A lot of people want to ignore the fact that, for instance; Marathon Oil; Their profits doubled between 2020 and 2021, and are expected to more than double again this year. I am not picking on Marathon, it is the same for the other producers/distributors, Some Americans are getting fat on the price of oil, and most of us are suffering for it.

Economist are predicting a recession in the last quarter of this year as well as $6.00+/gal. gas. It is my bet that things will improve after the fall elections and then get a lot worse again before the 2024 elections; but I am a plumber, not an economist.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

We are in a recession right now. The profits that everyone complains about in the oil industry is a result of the forced reduction in supply and refinery capabilities. And, along with this is the worst inflation we have seen since the 80's. Same old story. A particular political party was always the blame for oil shortages and then turned around and blamed the high prices on the oil companies. You just can't make this stuff up. Planned IMHO but many don't seem to understand this. I think that the recession is here and by fall we could be falling into a depression of the likes that makes 1929 looks like child's play. And the government's resolution? Increase taxes and complain about the oil companies. The same playbook from the past that threw us into depression. But, this time it's every sector of the economy. But, the facts are that it is both parties that are the blame. Even now, the fools at the Fed have thrown their hands into the air and said they don't know what to do. But, that doesn't stop them or the Congress from spending and printing trillions of dollars and issuing million of worthless treasury bonds. Soon we'll be looking at wheel barrels of cash for a loaf of bread. No one is this stupid. It's all planned. I pray that everyone is prepared for what is coming and keeps their powder dry.
fchaus

Post by fchaus »

If anyone is thinking of thinning the collection you may want to do it before this new "Bipartisian Safe families" gun control bill passes. Looks like anyone privately selling guns for "profit" will need to be classified as an FFL unless you plan to sell the entire collection. Contact your senators and oppose the bill. Looks like they have enough Rino's on board to pass this stupid thing.
Craig :spam2: :spam2: :spam2: :spam2:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

qz2026 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:04 am We are in a recession right now. The profits that everyone complains about in the oil industry is a result of the forced reduction in supply and refinery capabilities. And, along with this is the worst inflation we have seen since the 80's. Same old story. A particular political party was always the blame for oil shortages and then turned around and blamed the high prices on the oil companies. You just can't make this stuff up. Planned IMHO but many don't seem to understand this. I think that the recession is here and by fall we could be falling into a depression of the likes that makes 1929 looks like child's play. And the government's resolution? Increase taxes and complain about the oil companies. The same playbook from the past that threw us into depression. But, this time it's every sector of the economy. But, the facts are that it is both parties that are the blame. Even now, the fools at the Fed have thrown their hands into the air and said they don't know what to do. But, that doesn't stop them or the Congress from spending and printing trillions of dollars and issuing million of worthless treasury bonds. Soon we'll be looking at wheel barrels of cash for a loaf of bread. No one is this stupid. It's all planned. I pray that everyone is prepared for what is coming and keeps their powder dry.
So do you not think that oil companies profits tripling in the last two years has anything to do with the price of oil?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

SA1911a1 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:16 pm
qz2026 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:04 am We are in a recession right now. The profits that everyone complains about in the oil industry is a result of the forced reduction in supply and refinery capabilities. And, along with this is the worst inflation we have seen since the 80's. Same old story. A particular political party was always the blame for oil shortages and then turned around and blamed the high prices on the oil companies. You just can't make this stuff up. Planned IMHO but many don't seem to understand this. I think that the recession is here and by fall we could be falling into a depression of the likes that makes 1929 looks like child's play. And the government's resolution? Increase taxes and complain about the oil companies. The same playbook from the past that threw us into depression. But, this time it's every sector of the economy. But, the facts are that it is both parties that are the blame. Even now, the fools at the Fed have thrown their hands into the air and said they don't know what to do. But, that doesn't stop them or the Congress from spending and printing trillions of dollars and issuing million of worthless treasury bonds. Soon we'll be looking at wheel barrels of cash for a loaf of bread. No one is this stupid. It's all planned. I pray that everyone is prepared for what is coming and keeps their powder dry.
So do you not think that oil companies profits tripling in the last two years has anything to do with the price of oil?
Nope. This are simply public companies that wish to maintain forecasted margins. This always happens when forced scarcities are thrust on the market. It's not only the oil companies. Pretty difficult for me to understand people who blame companies for reacting to nonsensical public policy. And let's not forget the huge long term investments made by the oil companies during the Trump years that are now worthless.