A Small Collection of Colts in the UK.

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Tula Neil

A Small Collection of Colts in the UK.

Post by Tula Neil »

DSCF9537-001.JPG
DSCF9541-001.JPG
DSCF9539-001.JPG
Capture.JPG
Colt 1911 Combat Elite. (Commander) .45ACP. Dated 1986.
Colt MK IV Series 70 Government Model 9mm..jpg
Colt MKIV/Series 70 Government Model 9mm. Dated 1972.

These are live firing pistols.

Hang on your going to say you can't have handguns in the UK, well you can if they conform to certain conditions. They have to be part of a collection which in our case is JM Browning & S Colt. They also have to be rare, or limited manufactured run, unusual workings, Historical period WW1 & WW2, or owned by someone famous, I our case Historical & Limited numbers manufactured. They can be shot on special range days can't be kept at home but stored in an armoury. Let me know what you think.

Also have a collection of FN Browning pistols.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A Small Collection of Colts in the UK.

Post by millman »

Very nice pistols , but a shit law I think.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Excellent collection. If I also lived in the armory then storing my guns there would be fine, otherwise I think not.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Very nice stable of ponies. Congrats!

One of my favorite revolvers is a Colt Police Positive in .38-200 cal. It went to your country as lend/lease not long after Dunkirk, was marked up with all kinds of British proofs and made its way back here. It must have spent the war in a drawer because it is well kept.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Thank you for the comments, is it not better to have some access to these guns than none at all, plus I'm saving history, if I did not they would be cut up.
Talking of shit laws don;t you have some over there No 10 round mags in some states for example. We can have any capacity over here extended Glock & High Power mags which I have and use. No where is perfect.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

In my state, we can have any size magazine we want, rifle or pistol, and keep it at the house with the gun. I agree that nowhere is perfect.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Tula Neil

SA1911a1Re: A Small Collection of Colts in the UK.

Post by Tula Neil »

Hi SA1911a1,

Nice pistol with some good history. I was looking at one the other day a Colt Police Positive in .38-200 cal that was for sale sadly the price was too high even though it is in mint condition.
SA1911a1

Re: SA1911a1Re: A Small Collection of Colts in the UK.

Post by SA1911a1 »

Tula Neil wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:35 am Hi SA1911a1,

Nice pistol with some good history. I was looking at one the other day a Colt Police Positive in .38-200 cal that was for sale sadly the price was too high even though it is in mint condition.
So, ballpark, how much was asked for it? I paid too much for that one too, but by now the price has probably caught up. I am a bit of an anglophile ever since I found out that Churchill was half American. I have it so bad that I bought an Enfield revolver.... The next thing you know, I will be driving on the wrong side of the road. I have learned a lot about British culture by watching Are You Being Served Midsomer Murders (Note to self; never attend a British village fair. If there is a fair, somebody is getting murdered!)

Oh, yea, I also read Deighton and Le Carre, so you know my education is well rounded. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Good Morning SA1911a1

Well it is here, Found the web site link to the pistol, is it Ok to post it here. The asking price is £950 or $1192 comes with lanyard & holster. I made the dealer an offer but it was rejected. :o

Never watched the programmes you mentioned, rubbish now Dads Army Only Fools & Horses that's us......

By the way you do drive on the wrong side of the road, :lol: :lol: :lol: Want to visit your country again.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You forgot about the whole steering wheel on the wrong side of the car bit Steve. When I watched Midsommer Murders I had to get my neighbor Liz, who came from Devon, to translate. My great grandfather came from over there, he raised horses, had some sort of minor title, and I have his watch and chain. That was in Victorias time. After watching that show I have determined that sleeping on the street in the South Bronx with cash hanging out of my pocket would be safer than five minutes in Midsommer . Foyles War was good, made me start looking to buy a 1938 Wolseley.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Here is the link to the Colt Police Positive in .38-200 pistol

https://www.hampshiresmokeryandgunroom. ... -revolver/

Nice Enfield revolver looks like a tankers model no hammer spur...

I had a Wolseley Hornet for a while about the same size as the original mini if you can remember those.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Tula Neil wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:43 am Here is the link to the Colt Police Positive in .38-200 pistol

https://www.hampshiresmokeryandgunroom. ... -revolver/

Nice Enfield revolver looks like a tankers model no hammer spur...

I had a Wolseley Hornet for a while about the same size as the original mini if you can remember those.
That is a nice revolver. I bought mine maybe six or seven years ago and paid $350.00 for it. That was a lot of money for an old revolver at the time. I don't suspect that it would bring over $500.00 today. The finish on the one you posted is certainly better. My revolver apparently was not treated with the same respect that the one at auction received.

The one I have has a highly polished blue finish except for the cylinder which is more like the blue on the one you posted at auction. The story is that Colt pulled commercial guns off the shelf, refitted them with the .38/200 cylinder and shipped them off in a hurry. From what I have read, the Colts were used for British domestic protection, guarding factories and such, freeing up the Enfields for combat duties. I am sure that makes sense from a logistics point of view, but if I had to tote a revolver all over N. Africa and Europe, I would have preferred the Colt. I will say that even though the Enfield feels heavy and clunky, it has a very nice action, and I shoot it well.

I like the holster with the gun in the auction, and would like to get my hands on one of the ammo pouches. I had never seen one of them. My holsters, to the best of my knowledge, are Canadian made and have the blue tint of the RAF holsters.

I really like your automatic. I will see one of those for sale every now and then, but Americans seem to think that they are made of gold.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

I really like your automatic.

Which one I'm guessing the 1911 in 9mm, It was not that expensive as prices go in the UK. We tend to have higher prices as there less demand for firearms only a small number of people own guns here compared to the population. The press over the years have turned the public against people who shoot.
Most of our new & used firearms are imported from the EU. Now we are no longer in they upped the prices and export charges.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Tula Neil wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:33 am I really like your automatic.

Which one I'm guessing the 1911 in 9mm, It was not that expensive as prices go in the UK. We tend to have higher prices as there less demand for firearms only a small number of people own guns here compared to the population. The press over the years have turned the public against people who shoot.
Most of our new & used firearms are imported from the EU. Now we are no longer in they upped the prices and export charges.
I was unclear. I meant the .32. I am satiated with 1911A1s. They are my favorites and I currently have seven of them. One for each hand. ;)

Over here we would call that "1911 poor" but I was not sure you would understand that term. Much like I had to gather from my UK education that the term "Oi" meant something like "Hey you!"

Jim was talking about the dangers of living in Midsomer. The worst thing about all of the murders is that the Brits don't have the decency to just shoot someone to kill them cleanly, they go for axing, stabbing, bludgeoning, impalement and all other kinds heinous methods of dispatching people. You people just ain't right! ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Thank you, The .32 Colt 1903 came from the British army armour training centre where new recruits would learn about different firearms.

"they go for axing, stabbing, bludgeoning, impalement and all other kinds heinous methods of dispatching people. You people just ain't right! ;) Its just TV" although it does happen in real life.

When some body does use a firearm to do a "kill them cleanly job" our government take firearms away from law abiding people.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Tula Neil wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:20 am Thank you, The .32 Colt 1903 came from the British army armour training centre where new recruits would learn about different firearms.

"they go for axing, stabbing, bludgeoning, impalement and all other kinds heinous methods of dispatching people. You people just ain't right! ;) Its just TV" although it does happen in real life.

When some body does use a firearm to do a "kill them cleanly job" our government take firearms away from law abiding people.
I hope you know I was just poking fun. Humor is shared only among friends. We share a lot more than just language, which, by the way, you folks butcher. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Tula Neil wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:20 am Thank you, The .32 Colt 1903 came from the British army armour training centre where new recruits would learn about different firearms.

I hope you know I was just poking fun. Humor is shared only among friends. We share a lot more than just language, which, by the way, you folks butcher. For instance, a screen as in wind screen, is something to keep bugs out of the house, a shield, as in windshield is a device to keep bugs out of your teeth. One thing that I really like about a lot of British TV is the humor it can be very subtle and hilarious. Maybe the subtly comes from the legacy of thousands of years of living under a king or queen where direct insults might cost one his head. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

you folks butcher, ER No we speak English, you speak well a sort of English, :chuckles: I'm only joking

Fender no its a wing, Hood no its a bonnet, Trunk no its a boot, & so on we speak the Queens English and you will keep your head although your card is marked, because we have a long history together I do hope the friendship between our two great nations continues for many many years to come.

Please will you start selling firearm related products to the UK again Mr President :thumbsup: