Choke tube removal help

Everything shotgun discussed here.
SA1911a1

Choke tube removal help

Post by SA1911a1 »

About a year ago I picked up a decent Winchester Model 59 (Win Lite) shotgun. This is the very light shotgun with the aluminum receiver and the fiberglass barrel. It was one of the models with the "Versatile Choke" and the choke on the tube is full. I found a heck of a deal on a used modified choke and I want to swap them make this a squirrel gun.

Of course, the old choke had probably never been removed and it is quite stuck. I have had it soaking in synthetic motor oil for about a week and it still does not want to break. I am leery of using a more harsh chemical to soak it in because of the fiberglass. I have tried heating, cooling, even the ultra sonic treatment. I am not sure how much torque it will handle either. I am hoping that someone has a magic solution for me.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Re: Choke tube removal help

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:34 pm About a year ago I picked up a decent Winchester Model 59 (Win Lite) shotgun. This is the very light shotgun with the aluminum receiver and the fiberglass barrel. It was one of the models with the "Versatile Choke" and the choke on the tube is full. I found a heck of a deal on a used modified choke and I want to swap them make this a squirrel gun.

Of course, the old choke had probably never been removed and it is quite stuck. I have had it soaking in synthetic motor oil for about a week and it still does not want to break. I am leery of using a more harsh chemical to soak it in because of the fiberglass. I have tried heating, cooling, even the ultra sonic treatment. I am not sure how much torque it will handle either. I am hoping that someone has a magic solution for me.
If it be magic, ya need to try a silver dime. Gently, speaking seminole prayers.
OK seriously. Have you tried boiling the end of the barrel, then stick an ice cube in the choke for 15 seconds and :furious: twist like hell. ? Are those right hand threads ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Most oils, even synthetic are great for lubrication but not the best solvents or penetrating oil. Their purpose is stopping contact between two surfaces. You might try soaking the end of the barrel in some Hoppe's #9 to remove any remaining oil and then a good penetrating oil. I use Aero Kroil by Kano Labs on most stuck, rusted, carboned up things and it works great and is friendly to parts not made made of metal. Oil is thick and may not penetrate in to the tight spaces that are causing it to bind up. The claim of Aero Kroil is it creeps in to spaces 1 millionth of an inch. The label also says it's great for cleaning guns, rifle barrels, parts and tools. It's not readily available at a lot of stores so you might need to order it online. Get the Aero Kroil and not the Sili Kroil with Silicone. The one with Silicone is good stuff but if you ever plan on doing work on any surface it's been applied to like bluing or painting the silicone can inhibit the chemicals or paint from sticking or doing what you want it too. https://www.kroil.com/where-to-buy/
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

WeldonHunter wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:27 am Most oils, even synthetic are great for lubrication but not the best solvents or penetrating oil. Their purpose is stopping contact between two surfaces. You might try soaking the end of the barrel in some Hoppe's #9 to remove any remaining oil and then a good penetrating oil. I use Aero Kroil by Kano Labs on most stuck, rusted, carboned up things and it works great and is friendly to parts not made made of metal. Oil is thick and may not penetrate in to the tight spaces that are causing it to bind up. The claim of Aero Kroil is it creeps in to spaces 1 millionth of an inch. The label also says it's great for cleaning guns, rifle barrels, parts and tools. It's not readily available at a lot of stores so you might need to order it online. Get the Aero Kroil and not the Sili Kroil with Silicone. The one with Silicone is good stuff but if you ever plan on doing work on any surface it's been applied to like bluing or painting the silicone can inhibit the chemicals or paint from sticking or doing what you want it too. https://www.kroil.com/where-to-buy/
The big question is how a really good penetrating oil will react with a fiberglass barrel?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

SA1911a1 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:03 am
WeldonHunter wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:27 am Most oils, even synthetic are great for lubrication but not the best solvents or penetrating oil. Their purpose is stopping contact between two surfaces. You might try soaking the end of the barrel in some Hoppe's #9 to remove any remaining oil and then a good penetrating oil. I use Aero Kroil by Kano Labs on most stuck, rusted, carboned up things and it works great and is friendly to parts not made made of metal. Oil is thick and may not penetrate in to the tight spaces that are causing it to bind up. The claim of Aero Kroil is it creeps in to spaces 1 millionth of an inch. The label also says it's great for cleaning guns, rifle barrels, parts and tools. It's not readily available at a lot of stores so you might need to order it online. Get the Aero Kroil and not the Sili Kroil with Silicone. The one with Silicone is good stuff but if you ever plan on doing work on any surface it's been applied to like bluing or painting the silicone can inhibit the chemicals or paint from sticking or doing what you want it too. https://www.kroil.com/where-to-buy/
The big question is how a really good penetrating oil will react with a fiberglass barrel?
I dont think it would hurt it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Kroil, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, 50/50 mix of acetone and auto transmission fluid, all of them. Impact seems to harm fiberglass, so will high heat, but so far I have not seen oils do any harm. Apply heat with a heat gun? If the barrel can survive the heat of a couple box's of shotshells then limited heat from a heat gun to help the oil along shouldn't be a problem.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

SA1911a1 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:03 am
I don't think Kroil or most other penetrating oils will harm fiberglass. If memory serves me right this has a steel barrel that's shrouded with fiberglass and I think the choke actually screws in to the steel of the barrel.