Moose tag filled!!

Sonny

Moose tag filled!!

Post by Sonny »

Woohoo.... we have moose meat in the freezer. :thumbsup:

So we set up camp late Saturday afternoon and it was to late to hunt that day but we were at her early Sunday morning. Didn't see squat that day and we were thinking uh oh this is not good. Things looked a bit better on Monday, seen two black bears five white tails ( doe's) and one Mulie doe but still no moose,bummer.
Tuesday morning we took the quads out and rode down this pipeline for about 5km and then we came to an old logging road. Junior was riding up front and I was fallowing him and after about 500 yards he did an evasive hard turn off the road at the crest of a small hill.My first thought was that a truck was coming up the other side but nope he turn to me and said "Moose".. Well I bailed off the quad and loaded up my old Winchester and sure as heck there was a cow moose standing just off the road next to an old log deck. Junior put the range finder on her and said she was 194 yards out but dang she was looking right at us and that folks is not the best of shots, we always try to go for a heart/lung shot. I got down and used a log for a good solid rest and shot her right in the throat,shattered her neck bones. I tell ya she went down like a ton of bricks. Jumped on the quads and she was still trying to lift her head when we rode up but one shot in the head at point blank range took the jingle right out of her. :thumbsup:

She was a smallish cow and I'm guessing she was a 3.5 year old and maybe 600lbs on the hoof but that is the best eating size. Got her loaded up and took her to town where she was skinned,quartered and hung up in the shed... Friday we cut her up and had a nice roast for dinner and was she ever tender and tasty. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sonny

Re: Moose tag filled!!

Post by Sonny »

some more pics and in the one you can see the damage done to her neck. Oh btw I was using 180gr Remington Core Lokt in .30-06
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

One day we did a little fishing in the Berland river and caught some Bull trout and a few Rocky mountain whitefish.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

A few camp pics and we even had an outdoor shitter.

Our fire ring is just an old piece of culvert and 12 gauge slugs make good air holes in the side of it. :lol:

We also seen a small bull moose but no tags for him
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Seen lots of chickens too.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

A few pics from cutting day
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Rocky is going to be mighty sad....

Congrats, that looked like a heck of a good outing.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

So you pulled a hit on a Moose, then dismembered the body into small manageable pieces..... shades of Roy DeMeo and his "Gemini method". Except Roy didn't take the parts down to burger meat and eat it, not that we know of anyway. Then you whacked a bunch of birds, what they do? Shit on your truck? Understandable, been there. All I have to eat is eggs and bacon this morning. :Drool1:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Nice! Moose meat taste really good! Not too long ago my wife and I made moose burgers from meat she got in Alaska.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Good job Sonny! I been saying shoot 'em in the neck for years.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
MosinWolf762

Post by MosinWolf762 »

Sonny wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:44 am some more pics and in the one you can see the damage done to her neck. Oh btw I was using 180gr Remington Core Lokt in .30-06
Congrats on your freezer full! You won't find a better big game cartridge or load than the.30-06 and 180 gr core lokt! I have tried, but after all the rifles I've bought I still end up back with my '06 and 180 gr core lokt