Anyone find any Sellier & Bellot 174 gr match ammo lately?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Austin26

Anyone find any Sellier & Bellot 174 gr match ammo lately?

Post by Austin26 »

I've heard nothing but good things but am unable to find it. I've tried ammo seek, sgammo, laxammo, lucky gunner, and two pages into Google. One place has it but I did some digging and it's a scam site. I'm going to receive my M39 soon and would like to see what it's capable of.

What other match ammo do y'all like that is available? Thank you.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Anyone find any Sellier & Bellot 174 gr match ammo lately?

Post by millman »

In todays ammo market, you might do better to take up reloading if you want match quality ammo.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Austin26

Post by Austin26 »

millman wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:28 pm In todays ammo market, you might do better to take up reloading if you want match quality ammo.
This makes me sad. Do you have any available factory ammo recommendations for match? Perhaps the S&B 180 gr soft or PPU 182 gr JHPBT? Are there any true surplus ammo manufacturers that are legit when it comes to QC and consistency? Obviously not the tuna cans but perhaps another no-frills maker? Corrosive is fine as I clean my weapons well and right after.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Austin26 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:40 pm
millman wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:28 pm In todays ammo market, you might do better to take up reloading if you want match quality ammo.
This makes me sad. Do you have any available factory ammo recommendations for match? Perhaps the S&B 180 gr soft or PPU 182 gr JHPBT? Are there any true surplus ammo manufacturers that are legit when it comes to QC and consistency? Obviously not the tuna cans but perhaps another no-frills maker? Corrosive is fine as I clean my weapons well and right after.
I'd send an email to S&B. https://www.sellierbellot.us/ They have a factory in Missouri I think.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Austin26

Post by Austin26 »

millman wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:33 pm
I'd send an email to S&B. https://www.sellierbellot.us/ They have a factory in Missouri I think.
With the purpose of the email to ask if they have any or to kindly request some? They don't seem to sell direct unless I am mistaken. Thank you.
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Target Sports USA has the S&B 180gr in both soft point and fmj. Probably as good as you will find right now.

But being serious, even Cheap Wolf/ Tula/ Red Army STD, ect... will be as accurate as the rifle itself

With a reloading press, right now powders are fairly easy to find and primers can be found. 54R brass and bullets can be found easy as nobody really bothers reloading for it
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Austin26 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:44 am
millman wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:33 pm
With the purpose of the email to ask if they have any or to kindly request some? They don't seem to sell direct unless I am mistaken. Thank you.
They can find a dealer who they shipped the product you want. gun clubs and ranges can also acquire ammo from a manufacture, if you know a place or a friendly LGS who could put in an order for you
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Watch the Eastwoods Arms listing on GunBroker. They seem to regularly have some .54r ammo listed. Reloading can be a bit of a problem anymore if you don't have brass, projectiles and primers stashed away.
Austin26

Post by Austin26 »

Thank you both, and I will look into those things. I like gun broker!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I quit looking for any ammo about two years ago.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum