Crescent 12 ga. double trouble

Everything shotgun discussed here.
steelbuttplate

Crescent 12 ga. double trouble

Post by steelbuttplate »

This is my double I just got with a broken wrist. Tite bond,clamps,two screw nails and one screw, gorilla glue and tape, then wrapped tight in wet rawhide. It's solid, shot 12 times and no wobble at all. I'd still like to get it replaced is I can ever find one. It's 30" and full choke on the left, turns cardboard into a brown dust cloud at 30 yd. Turkey gun. I need an extractor too Jim take me one out of one of your rusty closet hoard?
Question I forgot, this is 4 digit 1925-26, could have been 2&9/16 chambers......these measure about 4 inches deep ? I been shooting 2&3/4 with no problem and won't even shoot a 3" in a new gun, too much kick for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Crescent 12 ga. double trouble

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It probably is 2 and 9/16, let's just call 3" in a gun of this age a suicide special. Measure the chambers properly, these were designed for the pressures found today in low brass shells. Parts can be had from Numrich gun parts corp. They don't always have all parts in stock, and you may have to wait years for them to buy a parts gun. These guns changed constantly, hammerless, and hammer guns, and could change according to what the end user asked for as Crescent, under H&D Fulsom company management made guns to order for many different hardware store and catalog companies. I have that very gun you have, mine is marked New Empire, and is in original coach gun configuration. There is at least one outfit that is making these stocks to order, cost is two to three times what the gun is worth. That is mostly for people preserving great grandpas favorite bird gun for sentimental reasons where cost is not a factor.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Re: Crescent 12 ga. double trouble

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:15 am It probably is 2 and 9/16, let's just call 3" in a gun of this age a suicide special. Measure the chambers properly, these were designed for the pressures found today in low brass shells. Parts can be had from Numrich gun parts corp. They don't always have all parts in stock, and you may have to wait years for them to buy a parts gun. These guns changed constantly, hammerless, and hammer guns, and could change according to what the end user asked for as Crescent, under H&D Fulsom company management made guns to order for many different hardware store and catalog companies. I have that very gun you have, mine is marked New Empire, and is in original coach gun configuration. There is at least one outfit that is making these stocks to order, cost is two to three times what the gun is worth. That is mostly for people preserving great grandpas favorite bird gun for sentimental reasons where cost is not a factor.
This is a new empire hammerless also, I've got a coach barrel for it coming, I guess I'll leave as is before I pay $300 for a buttstock, it's solid enough. The 20" barrel has the ejector so maybe I can get it copied.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"