Trigger has no resistence suddenly

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
Michaellaneous

Trigger has no resistence suddenly

Post by Michaellaneous »

hey, I recently got myself a rather nice looking original Mosin 1944. It was pretty old but up until today it was still shooting fine.
I wanted to go shooting again, but when I first tried to operate the bolt, it simply slid out of the back, and I noticed that the trigger had absolutely no resistance. It also didn't return anymore. I opened it up, and it seemed like the plate at the trigger was a bit loose? Bent? Not 100% sure really.

Here is an image, but I am not quite sure what you are supposed to be able to see. So if you need it from another angle, please tell. Thanks in advance.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 160311.jpg (didn't embed because it's just way too large)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Trigger has no resistence suddenly

Post by millman »

Either the sear spring is broken, or the screw is loose.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Michaellaneous

Post by Michaellaneous »

Not really sure what broken means in this regard. It at least looks complete, maybe a bit bent?
How hard does the screw need to be tightened? It was very, very easy to loosen.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 192207.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 192201.jpg
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Definitely a sear spring issue. And make sure the trigger pin doesn't get lost while you have it apart.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Michaellaneous

Post by Michaellaneous »

Yeah I'll take care, I just cannot figure out what's wrong with the sear spring.

e: Alright, after making sure everything was proper again - because the sear spring looked perfect - and some proper screwing in, it all works now again. Thank you very much for the help. Turns out a loose screw was the cause of my worries.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I bought a couple of "gunsmith specials' years back from Century that the only problem was the sear screw was loose.