The hunting car.

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
steelbuttplate

Re: The hunting car.

Post by steelbuttplate »

Hey Boss do you know any tricks about getting the back window open ? The key won't work it. And another thing, how do you pull these older Delcos out of the dash? I never stole any so I can't remember how :shifty:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The radio is just screwed in under the dash trim panel. They are not hard to remove. For the back window, you will have to remove the interior trim panel assuming the entire hatch itself will open. Once off you can get at the lock mechanism, it's a double lock, one way opens the whole hatch, the other way unlocks just the glass. These locks break, I remember having to open them by removing the inside panel more than once. Get the trim removal tool, if you snap the plastic pockets were the push in retainers sit in the back of the panel getting a replacement these days would be problematic. It is possible I have something usable on my one remaining Chevy Celebrity wagon, if the keys are still in it. Try and fix it first, otherwise you will have to deal with two door keys from here on out. One for the door lock, and one just for the rear hatch.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:40 am The radio is just screwed in under the dash trim panel. They are not hard to remove. For the back window, you will have to remove the interior trim panel assuming the entire hatch itself will open. Once off you can get at the lock mechanism, it's a double lock, one way opens the whole hatch, the other way unlocks just the glass. These locks break, I remember having to open them by removing the inside panel more than once. Get the trim removal tool, if you snap the plastic pockets were the push in retainers sit in the back of the panel getting a replacement these days would be problematic. It is possible I have something usable on my one remaining Chevy Celebrity wagon, if the keys are still in it. Try and fix it first, otherwise you will have to deal with two door keys from here on out. One for the door lock, and one just for the rear hatch.
It must be broken or frozen. I've sprayed PB in it. The only way that hatch will open is with the button / glove box. Good info thanks. :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:24 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:40 am The radio is just screwed in under the dash trim panel. They are not hard to remove. For the back window, you will have to remove the interior trim panel assuming the entire hatch itself will open. Once off you can get at the lock mechanism, it's a double lock, one way opens the whole hatch, the other way unlocks just the glass. These locks break, I remember having to open them by removing the inside panel more than once. Get the trim removal tool, if you snap the plastic pockets were the push in retainers sit in the back of the panel getting a replacement these days would be problematic. It is possible I have something usable on my one remaining Chevy Celebrity wagon, if the keys are still in it. Try and fix it first, otherwise you will have to deal with two door keys from here on out. One for the door lock, and one just for the rear hatch.
It must be broken or frozen. I've sprayed PB in it. The only way that hatch will open is with the button / glove box. Good info thanks. :thumbsup:
The mechanism actuates with the electronic solenoid, but not the key? Will the key rotate in the lock in both directions? I have never heard of one of these freezing up to only rotate in one direction. More likely the small rod that goes from the key lock assembly to the latch itself has fallen off. From what I remember the rod to the electronic solenoid, and the rod from the key lock attach to the same bar on the latch. If it works on the button I would leave it alone, you will just have to open the whole hatch if you want in from the outside. Do the lift pistons still hold? Probably not in the real cold.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The pistons hold well. The hood crushed me one time but I think maybe it wasn't up all the way. The hatch lock, the key turns it about 1/4 turn at most back and forth, nothing moves. I'll carefully consider any surgery before I try it.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:48 pm This is the one of my dreams. I drove up to eastern Ky. north of Pikesville and drove it home. All it needs is paint and CV joints, practically everything else is new, brakes, brake lines, tires, alternator, starter, exhaust is 5 or so yrs old. Runs and drive super. This is the nicest coal miner car I've ever had, I'll probably drive it til I die. If Christie Brinkley pulls up beside me in this , I'll have to stop. I think I'll call him Earl :shifty:
Found the perfect hunting car for you...... :chuckles:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

That is :cool2: rad man. It can't possibly drive any better than Earl, and Earl's flow master makes him growl just right, while he sips about 30 mpg. I 'd sure like to drive that Caddil-linconln land yacht though, I had a '72 Caprice and a '70 Buick Electra 225. Theres room to live in that car.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:16 pm That is :cool2: rad man. It can't possibly drive any better than Earl, and Earl's flow master makes him growl just right, while he sips about 30 mpg. I 'd sure like to drive that Caddil-linconln land yacht though, I had a '72 Caprice and a '70 Buick Electra 225. Theres room to live in that car.
I had every year Cadillac from 1968-1980, my favorite was a black with red leather interior 1972 Coupe Deville that I had for 20 years. The largest car I owned was a 1977 Lincoln Continental Coupe, I think Lincoln stretched the bumpers a bit to beat out Cadillac for length. I had one or two Chrysler Imperials come along as well, the big slab sided early 70's models
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

THE HUNTING CAR LIVES

Whats it worth now Jim Dawg ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:44 pm THE HUNTING CAR LIVES

Whats it worth now Jim Dawg ?
About 800-1100 bucks, what any running older car in good condition that can pass inspection would bring. This is entering antique car status ( to generation Z, and the millennials, not me) but it's not a 'vette, Mustang, Camaro, or pickup, about the only classes of ordinary US made vintage 90's cars that have any collector following just now. Jeep Wrangler also I suppose. It's rare to see any running cars of this vintage here because of the rust issues, cars 10-15 years newer than this are starting to vanish off the streets. My neighbor has a 2007 Buick Lacrosse with 42,000 on it, zero rust or damage old lady driven car, never out in winter. She wants 6 grand for it, and will get it, six grand firm, no wiggle room unless it's to offer her more. That's typical of used cars here just now. In pre Covid times I would say that wagon would bring 500-600 at most, and the neighbors car 4500 tops despite the lower mileage.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:lol: You can't :bs.gif: an old :bs.gif:'er
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Well the wife was a little bummed because I have a cool ride and she has a Sentra, (4 yrs. old low miles). So she's been wanting a camper for a while, I got her this for Christmas. When I get a couple of problems fixed I'll make money on this one when we are done with it. It looks like a 10 yr. old vehicle underneath, It's a '95. The body and glass all fine, paint super for it's age. :USA Flag:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

5.8L, otherwise known as the 351W? or 4.9 six ? Probably 5.9, custom vans mostly had these. Good engines, the very last of the small block Fords that go back to the 260 in 1964. They had the bugs worked out by the time they swapped to the 5.4 in 1996. Keep an eye on the transmission, they were mostly OK, but all the Ford AOD's from the late 80's into the mid 90's were suspect, but not as bad as Chrysler's. Underside rust was an issue with this body, lines rusting out, frames getting very crusty. This is not a camper, not even a class B, this is a custom van, Dodge, and Chevy were also used to make these. They all had the captains chairs, plush interior, fold down rear seat, lighting and raised top. Think of them as the luxury van. A class B or C camper built on a van chassis has a bathroom, kitchen, multiple beds, more house like arrangement, and a full custom built body. I have one Chevy, and two Dodge versions of this out on the lot, three Dodge versions, I forgot the '84. Most of the Ford's I have had in these years were cargo vans, some with very high milage on them. These are nice vans when you get them before some contractor used it for a rolling tool locker. It's also an official antique now being 26, almost 27 years old. You can get historic vehicle plates and maybe a better insurance rate.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:20 am 5.8L, otherwise known as the 351W? or 4.9 six ? Probably 5.9, custom vans mostly had these. Good engines, the very last of the small block Fords that go back to the 260 in 1964. They had the bugs worked out by the time they swapped to the 5.4 in 1996. Keep an eye on the transmission, they were mostly OK, but all the Ford AOD's from the late 80's into the mid 90's were suspect, but not as bad as Chrysler's. Underside rust was an issue with this body, lines rusting out, frames getting very crusty. This is not a camper, not even a class B, this is a custom van, Dodge, and Chevy were also used to make these. They all had the captains chairs, plush interior, fold down rear seat, lighting and raised top. Think of them as the luxury van. A class B or C camper built on a van chassis has a bathroom, kitchen, multiple beds, more house like arrangement, and a full custom built body. I have one Chevy, and two Dodge versions of this out on the lot, three Dodge versions, I forgot the '84. Most of the Ford's I have had in these years were cargo vans, some with very high milage on them. These are nice vans when you get them before some contractor used it for a rolling tool locker. It's also an official antique now being 26, almost 27 years old. You can get historic vehicle plates and maybe a better insurance rate.
It's the 351. It's waiting to get into a transmission shop now, needs a throttle sensor or something. Got any Idea what one cost new in '95 ? These bring 8-10 grand on eBay motors.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I never priced one back then, these were special made vehicles, I don't remember the auto dealers selling them. More like the same places you went for a camper, or a limo builder.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:44 pm I never priced one back then, these were special made vehicles, I don't remember the auto dealers selling them. More like the same places you went for a camper, or a limo builder.
Hey JYD, do you remember if these 90's Tritons have a air flow/throttle sensor in the grill somewhere, ever had one that went haywire ? I drove a '09 with a Triton that had one, it got piss ants in that sensor, and wouldn't do but 45 mph to the floor and jump back and forth between gears. It took a month and three different eq. shops to find the problem. :facepalm1:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:41 am
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:44 pm I never priced one back then, these were special made vehicles, I don't remember the auto dealers selling them. More like the same places you went for a camper, or a limo builder.
Hey JYD, do you remember if these 90's Tritons have a air flow/throttle sensor in the grill somewhere, ever had one that went haywire ? I drove a '09 with a Triton that had one, it got piss ants in that sensor, and wouldn't do but 45 mph to the floor and jump back and forth between gears. It took a month and three different eq. shops to find the problem. :facepalm1:
I am not a mechanic, I am to vehicles what an undertaker is to humans. I own one of Fords modular engines, a Triton V10 in my RV, but if it has any issues I will bring in qualified help to deal with it. Breaker points and carburetors are the sort things found on the engines I play with. If it has a mass airflow sensor, and it likely does, it will be someplace on the air intake tube, or attached to the throttle valve assembly. That's something we sold on a lot of GM's back then, but I don't remember anyone looking for one on the 4.7, 5.4 engines.
Theodore Roosevelt