Charles "Chuck" Hankins 1945-2021 R.I.P.

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It is with great sadness that we must report that longtime board member, and administrator Chuck Hankins, known to most of you as Longcolt44 has passed away at the age of 76. Chuck passed over a week ago peacefully in his sleep, he had been battling serious health issues for some time. Chuck was a founding member of this board as well as a member of the old board owned by Bob Wheeler. He is survived by children, and grandchildren, his wish was for no services, and to have his ashes scattered into the Pacific ocean. While he was living in Ohio at the time of his passing, he was a California native. Chuck owned several bars in his youth, built custom bikes, and spent many years in the insurance industry before retiring to work in a gunshop, collect milsurps, and cats, as well as assist however he could here on the board. To say he will be missed is beyond an understatement.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Re: Charles "Chuck" Hankins 1945-2021 R.I.P.

Post by ffuries »

Chuck was good people. He was always willing to help out another collector with gun stuff, and in return didn't want public acknowledgement of his generosity.

He recently helped me out with a bayonet for my Austrian/Hungarian M95 Stutzen and a couple years ago even sent me a big care package with a ton of different ammo examples for my ammo display. Sent a lot of what I needed, plus some extra. His reasoning for the extra, was while you don't have an example of a rifle that takes that ammo yet, you WILL in the future, and you won't have to find an ammo example for it.

He reached out to me early during Hurricane Michael, gave me his numbers and ordered me to contact him when it was over to let him know we were OK. As soon as I reached out to him to let him know we survived, but had serious damage to the house, he posted our status right away on here. That is just the kind of person he was. Yeah there might have been 20 plus years difference between us, but he was a friend.

He was a great friend, a great member of this forum, who gave a lot to this forum in knowledge and humor. He will be missed, I'm honored to have known him, and to have called him my friend.
Last edited by ffuries on Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

R.I.P. Longcolt44 :vsad:
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Oh wow! I don't know what to say. This is a shock. Chuck was one of the first people I met on the board here. When I first started working on gun-deals and started collecting Mosin Nagants (we know that leads to other rifles and it did) I found this board. I was eager to help people in the collector realm so I was posting deals for rifles and ammo I knew of which was plentiful at the time. I believe it was Chuck I contacted to introduce myself and let him know I wasn't selling any of the things I was posting, just trying to share what I knew. It may have been you Jim but I seem you remember it was Chuck. It's been over 11 years I think and my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Chuck told me it was fine once I explained what the site was about and that we're basically a non profit helping the 2nd Amendment and collectors community. Chuck was a no nonsense kind of guy and at times came across as gruff even but once you got to know him he was down right nice guy and cared about people and this board. He used to send me message once a year when Liberty Tree Collector's banner was due to renew and ask me to contact them because he knew I knew CL Cogar, the owner. I'd send off an email to CL and tell Chuck it was done. Chuck even sent me a sling for a 24/47 Mauser I got from Widener's that didn't come with one. I had just mentioned it in passing and he messaged me asking me for my address and told me he had some extras and would send me one. I still have it and it's on that rifle. Yeah that was Chuck. Man I'll miss him and that bear. He was one of a kind!
matt167

Post by matt167 »

RIP Chuck. These threads are always the hardest, not really knowing what to say
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I am very sorry to hear of his passing, and I will certainly miss him. My condolences to friends and family. After spending several years on a close-knit forum like this, you begin to think of the members as family.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Rest In Peace Chuck. Gonna miss you.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

A truly sad moment. The good news is that he is at peace. He will be missed.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Hasta lavista mi amigo. Thanks for all the knowledge you shared. :wave.gif:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Axis Arms
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by Axis Arms »

I knew Chuck personally and he was a really great guy. I will miss seeing and talking with him at the Ohio Gun Collectors Meeting. RIP Chuck
Like us on Facebook at: facebook.com/axisarms
Visit our website at: http://www.axisarmsonline.com
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Sorry to hear that. He will be missed by all.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

A sad time for all of us here on the forum and for Chuck's family. R.I.P.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I haven't been online for a while and come on to see this. RIP Chuck.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Well, not much I can say that hasn't already been said. He was a very "cool guy" to know.

Most here on the forums didn't know that Chuck used to take care of the funding for the forums. Each year he contacted the advertisers and set them up for another year. He kept us funded since 2011. Thanks to him, we are funded for two year at present. So, he has left "US" a present!

Chuck was one of the only people who understand what I go through here in California with firearms. Chuck was a long time Californian before moving to Ohio. This State was left with a huge hole when he left. That hole keeps getting bigger every year.

Well, I guess he has found 100 yards of cool green grass with a target on the other end by now. Good shooting Chuck.

Darryl
Jallukola

Post by Jallukola »

Sad to hear. Requiescat in pace.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Damn, hate to hear Chuck has passed, I knew he hadn't been at the gun shop for a while but didn't know it was serious.

RIP Longcolt, you where a prince among men.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

I'm sorry to hear of his passing.
tinman1960

Post by tinman1960 »

R.I.P may you be in God's loving arms a half hour before the Devil Knows
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Chuck was a good forum friend and Facebook friend as well. I communicated with him often through both. I guess I’ll never razz him again about owning a Marlin model 60 that he had owned for decades but never fired. [emoji3] He always took it in fun. Well Mr Bear, his stuffed full mount black bear that stood on his hind feet can be seen in many pictures holding Chuck’s newest rifle acquisition. The best display of great firearms possibly on the forum. I always hoped to meet him personally some day to shoot guns when he would meet with Erik (millman), another great forum guy here but alas I never was able. Too many miles between my Dallas Texas area and Chuck’s Ohio area I guess. Many of you may also know Chuck was in charge of the Facebook group that represents and guides new members here to RMNF forums. Dang it man I never asked Chuck why his forum name was longcolt44, and not something like 45longcolt which makes more sense to me but he could have told me and I never asked him. [emoji20]
RIP my friend you are already missed
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Charles

Post by millman »

bunkysdad wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:05 pm Chuck was a good forum friend and Facebook friend as well. I communicated with him often through both. I guess I’ll never razz him again about owning a Marlin model 60 that he had owned for decades but never fired. [emoji3] He always took it in fun. Well Mr Bear, his stuffed full mount black bear that stood on his hind feet can be seen in many pictures holding Chuck’s newest rifle acquisition. The best display of great firearms possibly on the forum. I always hoped to meet him personally some day to shoot guns when he would meet with Erik (millman), another great forum guy here but alas I never was able. Too many miles between my Dallas Texas area and Chuck’s Ohio area I guess. Many of you may also know Chuck was in charge of the Facebook group that represents and guides new members here to RMNF forums. Dang it man I never asked Chuck why his forum name was longcolt44, and not something like 45longcolt which makes more sense to me but he could have told me and I never asked him. [emoji20]
RIP my friend you are already missed
I think when he joined the forum LC 45 was already in use, so he went with 44. I always enjoyed Chuck's visits. He was quite an interesting fellow. RIP Chuck.

BTW Bunkysdad, you're welcome to come shooting anytime. The invite stands .
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis