Mosin revolvers

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bick65

Mosin revolvers

Post by bick65 »

I recently seen these for sale are they shootable and is there ammo . Price around 100 bucks any opinions on these guns. :?:
SA1911a1

Re: Mosin revolvers

Post by SA1911a1 »

Your are probably refering to the "Nagant" revolver.

They are shootable and there is ammo available, it is expensive, any you won't find it at Walmart.

These pistols are good for collecting, not so good for shooting.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
bick65

Post by bick65 »

Is the problem accuracy or the gun function . can you reload ? don't want to buy a dead horse .
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I've got a couple. I think any Mosin person should have at least one. :D Ammo is not cheap like he said. You have to search for it a bit but it is out there. The DA trigger pull is like trying to bench press a Buick with your finger and SA is only half that. They are a fun and unique design pistol though.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

They are a fun unique pistol. I just got another in a trade deal Friday.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

The Nagant uses a gas seal system and requires a special ammo. The round is actually in the case.
Several people have been asking about these. Here are some pics the first one is uncocked. Notice the gap between the cylinder and barrel. When cocked the cylinder moves forward and creates a seal.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
bick65

Post by bick65 »

I would like to own one . were is a good place to buy one I can't find the local just online any sites you folks have had good luck with. Thanks
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Do you have a C&R bick?
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
bick65

Post by bick65 »

I must not don't know what one is :?: unless I don't understand the abbreviated name . what is it ?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

A Curio and Relic Federal Firearm License. Or a C&R FFL. It is a lcense to buy C&R eligeable firearms from online dealers. If you had a C&R you could order a nagant revolver from a online dealer and have it shipped to your door. If you don't have one then you have to have it shipped to a FFL dealer and pay a transfer fee...and tax in some states like mine. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bick65

Post by bick65 »

Thanks for info. How hard is it to get a license ?
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Here is the link to some info on the license.
information/CandR/index.html
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
BostonMike

Mosin revolvers

Post by BostonMike »

bick65 wrote:Thanks for info. How hard is it to get a license ?
Pretty easy. There's a couple forms to fill out, you mail one copy of the application to the ATF and gthe other to the local police chief.

Cost is $30 and I got mine in 3 weeks.

In addition to being able to mail order C&R firearms, you qualify for dealer pricing at many online retailers. I've saved far more than $30 in the last 2 weeks.

One requirement is you must keep a bound book and log your c&r purchases in it and the ATF can ask to see it at any time.

SOG has Nagant revolvers for $99. Shipping is $15-20 or so. I just ordered an M44 last week from them. Pretty easy once you set up the account

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

As simple as filling out a form and giving them $30. So real easy. I think there is a section on this forum somewhere for getting a C&R. Just download the forms and send it in with the doh and then send one to your chief law enforcement officer and then they send you one in the mail about a month later. They so check to see if you have been a good boy though. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bick65

Post by bick65 »

I got spotless record got concealed permit which is now 10 pages in my state my problem is my town has no police department so sending form to local police cant happen. Would have to be state police .

Thanks bick
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You just send it to the head officer of the place that answers your 911 call. Like a sherrifs department or chief of police or if it is your state police then the commander. I believe in your case though it would be the sherrif. They don't do anything with it anyways so it is kinda a formality. So don't worry to much about it. If you get one then just send a copy to the sherrif when you send in the other to the ATF. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I do have ammo for mine, but I don't shoot it, it's a display piece for me, and interesting bit of leftover 19th century design. A holdover from that era when cartridges, and the revolvers that used them were experimental and new ideas were being tried all the time. The 1895 Nagant is such a revolver, gas seal cylinders are not unique to it, but by far it is the highest production such revolver. Why did the Russians keep it around for over 50 years? A Belgian designed it, so it was not a case of invented here, inertia maybe, a ridged inability to change things. True enough, under that system if you changed something and it didn't work out you could be in serious trouble as your rivals would be quick to curry favor with the powers that be by ruining your reputation and getting you sent to the Gulag as an enemy of the state. However primitive the Nagant did work, and there were a lot of them around, safer to leave it in place than come up with another revolver design for the enlisted. Pistols were in use by the Soviets, but they were for the NKVD, and Commissars, the other representatives of the state, not the rank and file for the most part. There is no rule that you have to shoot the milsurps that you collect, these are historical relics, it's perfectly fine to buy them, mount them up on the wall and just take them down for dusting now and them. I would recommend the Nagant revolver for just such a thing, get them while you can, they will not remain inexpensive forever.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Do you have a county Sheriff? That would be the chief LEO in your area.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

There's some of them listed here from different online vendors but one might be close to you. http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 8&subcat=5

You can find ammo for them here. http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=7.62+Nagant
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Get a few of them. How else can you arm every area in your home for under $100 each. :D :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.