Latest AR-15 Build

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
tjtM38

Latest AR-15 Build

Post by tjtM38 »

I decided to build one more AR. This will probably be my last, as I have acquired too many for the gun safe capacity. I started with a Spike's Tactical stripped lower receiver, used Spike's standard lower parts kit with fire control group, Palmetto state buffer tube and standard M4 stock group, Del-Ton Inc. complete upper receiver with a 1 in 9" chrome moly vanadium barrel topped with an Aero Precision carry handle and A2 sight. It's just a basic iron-sight carbine and it shoots really well. Thanks for looking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Re: Latest AR-15 Build

Post by ffuries »

Sweet build and nice groups there.

I need some trigger time and I NEED to sight my build in. Probably be hitting the target over from mine.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello, ^^^^^
ffuries, that's funny. And, reminds me of a day down at the gun club.

Two, older gentlemen show up to site their ARs. I've already been there for some time that day. So, I don't mind them going down range posting some targets up. Gives me a snack/water break and the eyes a rest, anyway. Well, the one starts firing down range(100yds) maybe five rounds and asks his buddy "hows my shots?" The other guy replies "don't know, can't see em on the target, which target are you shooting at?". The shooter fires a few more rounds. The spotter still can't see anything(he's using binoculars)... Well, I wounder back over to my bench, sit back down and look over at the targets they set up. And, sure enough; nothing there, huh...

So, I go about my business and get ready to shoot some more test loads, swinging the spotting scope back to the target I left off on(too the right of theirs). A little puzzled, I look back down at my shot placement and count pad, then look at the target again. I then motion over to the shooter and spotter, "you're High 2" and Right 3" on your shot placement, Sir, say 1:30ish". He asks "where do you see that?".
My reply " Oh, about 4' over too the right of your bottom right target".... "my second target in, Sir". We all had a good chuckle at the shooters expense. Yet, I made some new friends that day...
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

boltaction wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:09 pm Hello, ^^^^^
ffuries, that's funny. And, reminds me of a day down at the gun club.

Two, older gentlemen show up to site their ARs. I've already been there for some time that day. So, I don't mind them going down range posting some targets up. Gives me a snack/water break and the eyes a rest, anyway. Well, the one starts firing down range(100yds) maybe five rounds and asks his buddy "hows my shots?" The other guy replies "don't know, can't see em on the target, which target are you shooting at?". The shooter fires a few more rounds. The spotter still can't see anything(he's using binoculars)... Well, I wounder back over to my bench, sit back down and look over at the targets they set up. And, sure enough; nothing there, huh...

So, I go about my business and get ready to shoot some more test loads, swinging the spotting scope back to the target I left off on(too the right of theirs). A little puzzled, I look back down at my shot placement and count pad, then look at the target again. I then motion over to the shooter and spotter, "you're High 2" and Right 3" on your shot placement, Sir, say 1:30ish". He asks "where do you see that?".
My reply " Oh, about 4' over too the right of your bottom right target".... "my second target in, Sir". We all had a good chuckle at the shooters expense. Yet, I made some new friends that day...
I ended up with more holes in my target than I had bullets once when doing my re-qual in the AF. The guy next to me had been shooting at my target the whole time. He had shot his own target during the sighting, but when we started shooting for score he was aiming at my target.

I think we shot 50 rounds for score and I had just under 90 holes......
Last edited by ffuries on Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello,
Well, I hope you counted all the Xs as your own shots and called it good.
Shat happens. It was just funny listening to the two older guys go at it, like an Abbot & Castello baseball script. Hence, the reason I looked over towards their targets... Yet, fun was had by all in the end.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

boltaction wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:57 pm Hello,
Well, I hope you counted all the Xs as your own shots and called it good.
Shat happens. It was just funny listening to the two older guys go at it, like an Abbot & Castello baseball script. Hence, the reason I looked over towards their targets... Yet, fun was had by all in the end.
Oh Hell no, the CATM instructors gave me the minimum qualifying score.....The other guy had to come back over the weekend for the remedial class.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

tjtM38 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:52 am I decided to build one more AR. This will probably be my last, as I have acquired too many for the gun safe capacity. I started with a Spike's Tactical stripped lower receiver, used Spike's standard lower parts kit with fire control group, Palmetto state buffer tube and standard M4 stock group, Del-Ton Inc. complete upper receiver with a 1 in 9" chrome moly vanadium barrel topped with an Aero Precision carry handle and A2 sight. It's just a basic iron-sight carbine and it shoots really well. Thanks for looking.
What length barrel did you put on it? I'd love to get a M4gery. We got them in before I retired but I never got to use them.

What holds me back is I would want it to be as close to what we got in. But I know the rules on the barrel lengnts are something weird. Under a certain length and the muzzle device has to be pinned and welded, or you need a stamp etc, etc. A little confusing to me......Plus I haven't a clue as to the actual length on the military issued ones.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

This barrel is 16 inches with a standard birdcage flash hider. it's a 1 in 9" twist, so it should shoot the lighter bullets and some of the heavier bullets equally well.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

ffuries wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:07 pm
tjtM38 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:52 am I decided to build one more AR. This will probably be my last, as I have acquired too many for the gun safe capacity. I started with a Spike's Tactical stripped lower receiver, used Spike's standard lower parts kit with fire control group, Palmetto state buffer tube and standard M4 stock group, Del-Ton Inc. complete upper receiver with a 1 in 9" chrome moly vanadium barrel topped with an Aero Precision carry handle and A2 sight. It's just a basic iron-sight carbine and it shoots really well. Thanks for looking.
What length barrel did you put on it? I'd love to get a M4gery. We got them in before I retired but I never got to use them.

What holds me back is I would want it to be as close to what we got in. But I know the rules on the barrel lengnts are something weird. Under a certain length and the muzzle device has to be pinned and welded, or you need a stamp etc, etc. A little confusing to me......Plus I haven't a clue as to the actual length on the military issued ones.
The military M4 barrel length is 14.5 inches. I think you are right; to make it legal it would have to have a permanently attached muzzle brake/device, otherwise it ends up being less than the legal barrel length for a rifle. Both my carbine builds are legal rifle length; the Del-Ton is 16 inches and the Odin Works stainless on my other carbine is 16.1 inches. The only 20" AR-15 I have is the Palmetto State PA-15 which I have set up to look like the M16A4, albeit without the quad rail like the Marines used.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

After sighting in my iron-sight carbine at 25 meters, I thought I would try some shooting at 200 yards to check the zero and verify the carbine is shooting center of mass at that range. I used a M16A1 175 Meter Feedback Target to do this. This is a large target, but it was still a challenge for my 70-year old eyes. The target sits in shadow this time of year due to sun angle. That didn't make things any easier. Nevertheless, I was pleased with the result indicating that my rifle is properly sighted in with the A2 carry handle sight.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

tjtM38 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:38 am After sighting in my iron-sight carbine at 25 meters, I thought I would try some shooting at 200 yards to check the zero and verify the carbine is shooting center of mass at that range. I used a M16A1 175 Meter Feedback Target to do this. This is a large target, but it was still a challenge for my 70-year old eyes. The target sits in shadow this time of year due to sun angle. That didn't make things any easier. Nevertheless, I was pleased with the result indicating that my rifle is properly sighted in with the A2 carry handle sight.
I'm impressed, that's some damn fine shooting there! Since I've retired I haven't done anything close to long range shooting (Actual or simulated). You'd probably be able to count my hits at 200 yards on one hand, unless the target is the broad side of a barn!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member