Chinese SKS Spike Bayonet oil

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
aduckonsalts

Chinese SKS Spike Bayonet oil

Post by aduckonsalts »

Does anyone here know what kind of oil the Chinese used to coat their bayonets when they stored them for surplus? When I got mine the seller said he pulled the bayo from a crate where it sat with others for at least the last thirty years. It is a silver spike that had a very light coating of some kind of clear oil, which had good coverage, smelled pleasant enough, and felt very nice viscosity wise. Looking forward to your replies!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Chinese SKS Spike Bayonet oil

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

aduckonsalts wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:17 pm Does anyone here know what kind of oil the Chinese used to coat their bayonets when they stored them for surplus? When I got mine the seller said he pulled the bayo from a crate where it sat with others for at least the last thirty years. It is a silver spike that had a very light coating of some kind of clear oil, which had good coverage, smelled pleasant enough, and felt very nice viscosity wise. Looking forward to your replies!
I never ran across any Chinese SKS that came with bayonets detached and stored off the rifles. That's more of a Mosin 91/30 sort of thing given that the SKS has a permanently mounted bayonet. There are some places were the bayonet assembly had to be removed to comply with local restrictions, but in these cases you do not get a bayonet at all. Axle grease or cheap motor oil would be my guess. Our military got the most carried away with weapon preservative in Cosmoline, It has a smell only a milsurp collector would love. Every commie weapon I had to clean, and I cleaned a lot of them from the Soviet Union, the buffer states, and the PRC, they had the cheapest available preservatives, nothing fancy, it just had to work.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Sounds like Avon skin-so-soft. Wipe off, mount on rifle, then stability-stap. Works great on Antifa and BLM terrorists.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Chinese did not store their SKS with bayonets off.

That is a law in the USA that Chinese SKS's had to have their bayonets removed before sale in the USA. If you bought one with bayonet off, you were not allowed to put one back on. If you bought it before the law, you were allowed to have it on. So, many Chinese bayonets were removed for import.

Other countries SKS's were allowed to add (or keep) their bayonets as they became C&R or were C&R when they imported them.

As Chinese SKS's are not able to "date their rifles" (according to BATF's specifics), they are not allowed to add a bayonet back on.

This is just my understanding. I may be wrong and you should look it up for your self. I have a Chinese SKS and I own a bayonet for it, but it is not on the rifle. Not till I know better.

Darryl
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I bought two of the Chinese SKS rifles from the same dealer. One sale was prior to the ATF decision one afterwards. The second came with a tent spike for when I went camping bang had to pitch a tent.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Wasn't the law on the issue somewhat nutty? I seem to remember that it was not illegal to have a Chinese SKS with a bayonet, but it was illegal to put one on it if it came without one. Do I have that right or is it my old-timers kicking in?

I only have one Chinese left, and it came from an unremembered private seller with the bayonet in place, I swear.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:39 pm Wasn't the law on the issue somewhat nutty? I seem to remember that it was not illegal to have a Chinese SKS with a bayonet, but it was illegal to put one on it if it came without one. Do I have that right or is it my old-timers kicking in?

I only have one Chinese left, and it came from an unremembered private seller with the bayonet in place, I swear.
Yeap it was weird....

So if I'm remembering what I've read correctly. First we had Chinese SKS's that were imported with bayonets as C&R rifles. Then we had the ban, and bayonets were evil, so Chinese SKS's sans bayonets were imported as sporting guns.

Putting a bayonet, on a sporting gun was bad......But if you had a C&R rifle with a bayonet, then removed it, it lost its C&R status as the rifle was altered from its original configuration.

Someone tell me if I'm remembering this correctly or if my brain is just making stuff up.....?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

ffuries wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:56 pm
SA1911a1 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:39 pm Wasn't the law on the issue somewhat nutty? I seem to remember that it was not illegal to have a Chinese SKS with a bayonet, but it was illegal to put one on it if it came without one. Do I have that right or is it my old-timers kicking in?

Yeap it was weird....

So if I'm remembering what I've read correctly. First we had Chinese SKS's that were imported with bayonets as C&R rifles. Then we had the ban, and bayonets were evil, so Chinese SKS's sans bayonets were imported as sporting guns.

Putting a bayonet, on a sporting gun was bad......But if you had a C&R rifle with a bayonet, then removed it, it lost its C&R status as the rifle was altered from its original configuration.

Someone tell me if I'm remembering this correctly or if my brain is just making stuff up.....?
Kind of.

The Chinese SKS was never sold as a C&R rifle. In the "old days" you could go to a gun show and buy a Russian (or any other SKS) and take it home as a C&R. But never the Chinese SKS. It was not considered a C&R by the BATF.

The Chinese SKS was first sold with a bayonet, then a law banning the bayonet was enacted. Then they sold them without a bayonet. But never was so0ld as a C&R because they were not declaired a C&R and you could not determine their date of manufacture. So, they have never been C&R.

The total story is, when they decided to make the bayonet illegal the law read that you could either remove the bayonet and never put a large capacity magazine on it, or you could cut the bayonet lugs (mount) off and then you were OK for large capacity mags. Go figure why they decided that. So many Chinese SKS rifles are missing the bayonet lugs. Then they made laws later banning high capacity mags (in many States). So you see some Chinese SKS's without the bayonet lugs today.

You can't put a bayonet on (or have one on) unless you can prove it was purchased before the law was made.

Darryl
mortismaker

Post by mortismaker »

I had three calls with the tech branch of the ATF in the 90's over bayonets and the sks. I was in college at the time for criminology and attending a police academy, I was told three different things from three different techs. Basically that is is a "gray area". When I ask a professor about law and grays (not the alien variety) he said exactly what I expected. "there are no gray areas in law". That very call started my new understanding of laws.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mortismaker wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:22 pm I had three calls with the tech branch of the ATF in the 90's over bayonets and the sks. I was in college at the time for criminology and attending a police academy, I was told three different things from three different techs. Basically that is is a "gray area". When I ask a professor about law and grays (not the alien variety) he said exactly what I expected. "there are no gray areas in law". That very call started my new understanding of laws.
In NY you get a sit down with an ATF agent before they issue you even a C&R FFL. Back some years ago I asked the agent what number of firearms sold from the bound book ( to improve my collection) would constitute too many, and be considered dealing. The answer was that exact phrase, " that's a gray area" . In other words it's up to the individual agent inspecting the bound book at some future date to determine if you go on your way or to federal prison for dealing in firearms to the public.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Darryl wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:24 pm
ffuries wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:56 pm

Yeap it was weird....

Kind of.

The Chinese SKS was never sold as a C&R rifle. In the "old days" you could go to a gun show and buy a Russian (or any other SKS) and take it home as a C&R. But never the Chinese SKS. It was not considered a C&R by the BATF.

The Chinese SKS was first sold with a bayonet, then a law banning the bayonet was enacted. Then they sold them without a bayonet. But never was so0ld as a C&R because they were not declaired a C&R and you could not determine their date of manufacture. So, they have never been C&R.

The total story is, when they decided to make the bayonet illegal the law read that you could either remove the bayonet and never put a large capacity magazine on it, or you could cut the bayonet lugs (mount) off and then you were OK for large capacity mags. Go figure why they decided that. So many Chinese SKS rifles are missing the bayonet lugs. Then they made laws later banning high capacity mags (in many States). So you see some Chinese SKS's without the bayonet lugs today.

You can't put a bayonet on (or have one on) unless you can prove it was purchased before the law was made.

Darryl
J&G, Palmetto State Armory and Atlantic Firearms are selling the Chinese spike bayonet SKS right now. J&G and Atlantic Firearms have them listed as C&R eligible but Palmetto State Armory specifically says **This item will not be shipped to C&R license holders**
https://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtyp ... 5&subcat=5
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Palmetto probably wants nothing to do with the gray area bullshit, neither did I and I let the C&R expire 11 years ago.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Take this for what it is worth. I have three Chinese SKS's that I bought from Southern Ohio Guns before their closing, they all had bayonets attached. Two were imported by Labanu Inc in New York with two different length spike bayonets and one by Century Arms with a blade bayonet. They did have some that we bought for the shop that had no bayonets or bayonet lugs that were called "paratrooper models".
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!