Mosin found in the attic

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SubaruFan

Mosin found in the attic

Post by SubaruFan »

Hello. I am happy to join this forum.
This old rifle was found in a parent's attic. The condition of the attic was terrible, so the rifle is looking very beaten down.
I would just like to learn some history about it. Where it was made, if you guys think it might have been used in combat. I know very little about these guns.
Ideally I would like to get it into working condition, to fire it. I understand NOT to refinish this, as it will take away from the rifle's heritage and dignity. I just want to see if my gunsmith can clean it up while preserving historical accuracy?
Thanks for helping out a big noob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mosin found in the attic

Post by millman »

Soak the metal with oil and scrub at the rust with a bronze brush. You will be surprised how well it will clean up.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

What you said about refinishing it is true. What you have there is a Russian M91 captured by the Fins and rebuilt to their specifications, https://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/app.php/page/89. A good clean is all that rifle needs. If anybody wants to refinish or rebuild it in any way, beat them to death with it.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
SubaruFan

Post by SubaruFan »

@longcolt44
Thanks.
My understanding based on stamping is that the rifle was made in 1897, with the matching bolt. Tula factory, right? Did the Finnish capture it and make it theirs?
Any idea if this was likely used in combat? I can see the stock was replaced...damaged maybe? unless the Finnish routinely changed the stocks?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

millman wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:33 am Soak the metal with oil and scrub at the rust with a bronze brush. You will be surprised how well it will clean up.
Just remove the rust carefully, what you can . Don't use a drill or powerful solvent. You have an Antique.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

SubaruFan wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:36 pm @longcolt44
Thanks.
My understanding based on stamping is that the rifle was made in 1897, with the matching bolt. Tula factory, right? Did the Finnish capture it and make it theirs?
Any idea if this was likely used in combat? I can see the stock was replaced...damaged maybe? unless the Finnish routinely changed the stocks?
Only evidence I see that the Finns had it is the escutcheon plates and sling hangers on it. this would indicate at some point either it was purchased by the Finn's or captured from the Russians.

Originally, it was made in 1896 in Russia at the Tula Plant.
In the USA, it is technically a "Antique" and not a firearm.

Darryl
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Easy clean up with copper/bronze brushes and oil, take the little bit of rust right off. That doesn't even come close to winning the rustiest gun award, this was how milsurps typically looked in the years before Soviet refurbs spoiled everyone. This is how they would look sitting on flea market tables, tag sale's, estate sales back in the late 80's and early 90's. I would often wondered if I should tell these people of the invention of oil. That was the thing about the refurbs, there wasn't much to do. Just wipe off the cheap commie axle grease, and go shoot it. Took maybe half an hour, the old non refurb imports could take days to clean, that's days of fun scrubbing, wrapping oil soaked stocks in paper and setting them in the sun, JB bore paste down the pipe to see it there was rifling left. The smell of mold, old grease, and WW2 era USGI bore cleaner. Great times.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

A bit of cleaning & you have a gem!!!!!
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
ma96782

Post by ma96782 »

Darryl wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:59 pm
SubaruFan wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:36 pm @longcolt44
Thanks.
Only evidence I see that the Finns had it is the escutcheon plates and sling hangers on it. this would indicate at some point either it was purchased by the Finn's or captured from the Russians.

Originally, it was made in 1896 in Russia at the Tula Plant.
In the USA, it is technically a "Antique" and not a firearm.

Darryl
Note : The stock wood splice (photo #5). Typical of a Finnish stock. Though, a photo of the "fingers" will tell you a little more.

Aloha, Mark
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Nice find! The stock looks to be pretty good. Once cleaned up I think the rifle will look great!
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

before you begin scrubbing the metal, please remove the stock.......there are Q & A's attached above in this forum.....
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Kroil and Bronze wool. It will clean up nicely. :)

That will be an easy save and one well worth it.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... d7391.aspx

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning- ... d7610.aspx
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Could look a lot worse......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

OK, I smell a rusty gun post coming up soon.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt