Chinese ? Markings on M44 stock

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
medeacor

Chinese ? Markings on M44 stock

Post by medeacor »

Found this 1945 piece with what appear to be Chinese ??? markings on right side of stock - appear to have stenciled onto the stock - anyone perhaps have an idea of meaning, etc

Buttplate and receiver match - bolt doesn't - any thoughts appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Re: Chinese ? Markings on M44 stock

Post by ffuries »

IMHO zomeone put a Chinese Type 53 stock on it, seeing the Type 53 is a copy of a M44.

Now as what it means, I can't tell you, you'll need to find a someone that speaks and reads Chinese. Could be anything from a quote from Mao Zedong to the name of a school or factory the rifle was assigned to.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Most likely it's a Genuine Soviet rifle that the Ruskies sent off on a tour of the Orient. Those markings are just a rifle version of bumper stickers to Yellowstone & Six Flags... :chuckles:

But Seriously, After switching over to the SKS & AK-47, the Soviet's sent tooling & anything associated with the Mosin Nagant platform to China, Poland, Hungary & Romania which also included gun parts as well as complete rifles. Your rifle is a 1945 date, probably was sent as new surplus as part of the program. From there it saw a few trips through the armory where bolts and other parts got mismatched & later received what is most likely trainer paint on the buttstock when it got regulated for drill purposes & new recruit training.
I think it's very cool.... I would be thrilled if that were in my collection. Congrats!! :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
medeacor

Post by medeacor »

Thanks for the help - very much appreciated!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Didn't M-44s show up in the Korean War ? China's version wasn't til '53, but China had Russian weapons then didn't they ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
CavemanSteve

Post by CavemanSteve »

Import marked?
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

It's a stir fry recipe for cave bats. :beek:
Sinokai

Post by Sinokai »

No. I think they are Japanese. this gun was made in 1945, from Qing dynasty( around 1880's), Chinese call modem rifle is "枪", do not use "铳" any longer, but Japan still uses “铳” to cal all firearms.
on the stock, there are two sentences.
above: 铳器 x 彈着xxx
bottom:銃器作業時彈丸x
Hadrian65

Post by Hadrian65 »

銃 is the correct Japanese Kanji
https://jisho.org/word/%E9%8A%83
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Wouldn't it be sweet if that were a Japanese trophy from the end of WWII?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
PP Gogol

Post by PP Gogol »

(upper line) "One chicken three dollar; two chickens five dollars."

(lower line) "This rifle has no Chinese backdoored firmware that will spy on you. None. None at all."