New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Tula44

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Tula44 »

gunhead67 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:13 pm Hello All,
I am an older collector Russian communist block stuff. I sell things more then I buy these days. I came over from another board. I look for info. Try to help others if I can with info. I am Russian/Ukrainian/German origin. Born in PA & moved to FL 4 years ago.
Welcome to the forum! :D I love Soviet surplus!
phil_vd

Post by phil_vd »

I’m fairly new to mosins in general but I’ve been collecting surplus for a couple years now. I was looking to come on here to ask for help with mosin.
gunhead67

Post by gunhead67 »

phil_vd wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:22 pm I’m fairly new to mosins in general but I’ve been collecting surplus for a couple years now. I was looking to come on here to ask for help with mosin.
Get yourself a book or 2 , It helps.... You can a ways go in a corner out of sight or out side an be able to look up what you may have found. may not be a total answer but It helps with the stranger things Books The Mosin Nagant collector, is good A Finn book may help also.
Chris And ask Questions!!!
gunhead67

Post by gunhead67 »

Do we need to add to are old post if not sold ? How many post are allowed in a week....? Month.. Wts posts are they limited to how many ? I am looking to sell some things But I do not want to mess up with any over posting!! I am finding things as I clean the gun room.. :BBQ2: Thankyou Chris :ani-pop:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I would just say don't let your for sale posts equal to more than your normal posts as a participating member.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
HMSsian

Post by HMSsian »

Hello everyone, quick question, is there a Military Surplus Import Ban on Russia/world guns into America?
capt14k

Re: US Westinghouse Moisin

Post by capt14k »

medeacor wrote:Hi - Newbie here - have done a search of forums but not sure I found the answer I needed

Have a Westinghouse Moisin but there is no handguard - barrel bands look to have been touching the barrel underneath the bands for many years as the area underneath the bands is fairly bright - and don't see how there could be any room for a handguard to fit underneath and be retaining by the barrel bands (front and rear)

One source has said that ALL US made Moisins did have handguards - but have found plenty of images of US made that have no handguards - if it was in fact supposed to have a handguard and that source was correct then I need to try and find one but guess the barrel bands would be different as well

Thanks for your help!
I have a M91 Handguard for sale.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

HMSsian wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:46 pm Hello everyone, quick question, is there a Military Surplus Import Ban on Russia/world guns into America?
Yes, Obama put an embargo on Russia's arsenal's and other business during his term.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
firebat

Post by firebat »

Hi there, finally I decided to join the forum after being a guest reader for years. I have a few Soviet and a couple Finnish Mosins, hoping to get more in the future.
HMSsian

Post by HMSsian »

Longcolt44 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:06 pm
HMSsian wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:46 pm Hello everyone, quick question, is there a Military Surplus Import Ban on Russia/world guns into America?
Yes, Obama put an embargo on Russia's arsenal's and other business during his term.
O Bummer does it again. :very mad: :very mad:
Kemo357

Post by Kemo357 »

Hello everyone, first post! Been a lurker for a little while. I consider myself a firearm horder *ehem*, I mean collector. I also consider myself a noob. Thank you to all of the members that have shared all of the excellent information on this site!
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

He even came across the Pond to try to tell us not to leave the EU... We soon told him. :chuckles:
JohnnyDollar

Post by JohnnyDollar »

Howdy from South Texas.

I have a Russian Mosin-Nagant 91/30 that I picked up back around 1981 while I was in the army at Ft. Hood.
I bought it from a guy I knew because I wanted it to go with my WWII German Kar98k. It looked nice and it shoots.

However, it's mostly been a safe queen since I bought it.
I have taken it to the range a few times and cleaned it, but that's about it.
I have never been too impressed with it's accuracy, hopefully I can work on that.

I spent time today looking over the site and learning what I could about my rifle, trying to determine what I have.

Basically, I've learned that it appears to be in an original configuration, but it's about the most frankengun there probably is.
I cannot find any numbers on this rifle that match or any import marks,
so I guess I will be posting up some pictures and asking for your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your patience. :)
KKAustria

Post by KKAustria »

Hello everyone!

I just recently bought my first Mosin and I‘ve hoped maybe someone who knows their stuff could help me find out more about my rifle. So it has been built in 1927 in the soviet union, that‘s everything I‘ve been able to identify so far…….

The serial numbers are all matching (except for the bajonett) and all are stamped in, so no eletropenciling anywhere. So can I be certain that all are the original parts? Seems a bit unlikely, given the rifles age, but who knows.

Already been to the range with it (after a stripdown, deep clean and oil treatment of course), but sadly shoots hard to the left and high. A sight adjustment tool is already on it‘s way. But is there any way you can adjust the height of the front scope? Because the tool seems to only adjust the sides.

Also I‘m considering to maybe refurbish the wooden stock a bit, because the clear coat is coming off in many places and it leaves some brown stains on your hand, as you handle it. or would that „ruin“ the rifle in your opinion, please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for any replies and please excuse me for potential spelling or grammar mistakes, as english isn‘t my mother tongue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

KKAustria wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:33 am Hello everyone!

I just recently bought my first Mosin and I‘ve hoped maybe someone who knows their stuff could help me find out more about my rifle. So it has been built in 1927 in the soviet union, that‘s everything I‘ve been able to identify so far…….

The serial numbers are all matching (except for the bajonett) and all are stamped in, so no eletropenciling anywhere. So can I be certain that all are the original parts? Seems a bit unlikely, given the rifles age, but who knows.

Already been to the range with it (after a stripdown, deep clean and oil treatment of course), but sadly shoots hard to the left and high. A sight adjustment tool is already on it‘s way. But is there any way you can adjust the height of the front scope? Because the tool seems to only adjust the sides.

Also I‘m considering to maybe refurbish the wooden stock a bit, because the clear coat is coming off in many places and it leaves some brown stains on your hand, as you handle it. or would that „ruin“ the rifle in your opinion, please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for any replies and please excuse me for potential spelling or grammar mistakes, as english isn‘t my mother tongue.
That is a nice rifle. Please do not refinish it. That will destroy it's collector value. Try shooting it with the bayonet attached before you adjust on the sights. The soviets left the bayonets on most of the time, and the rifles were sighted with it on.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Alkis1

Post by Alkis1 »

Greetings all. New to the forum. Just purchased a 91/30 Tulsky sniper. Very nice condition. Should I put some rounds through it or leave it alone?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Alkis1 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:55 pm Greetings all. New to the forum. Just purchased a 91/30 Tulsky sniper. Very nice condition. Should I put some rounds through it or leave it alone?
Shoot it. Enjoy it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

KKAustria, welcome to the forum, that's a very nice rifle, as millman said don't refinish the wood if stain is coming off on your hands wear gloves if possible.
"as english isn‘t my mother tongue" your English written words are fine. UK member.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

KKAustria wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:33 am Hello everyone!

Welcome to the forum! That is a nice looking Mosin! I would suggest to leave the rifle as is and not refinish it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
the_commodore

Post by the_commodore »

Hi all! New here but have been lurking. I have a M39 VKT 1942 D barrel. Haven't shot it yet but looking to getting it out. Anybody have any ammo recommendations for it? I know the M39 prefer certain types of 7.62x54r.