New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Darryl »

obrazets wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:20 pm Glad to be aboard and I hope to learn and, maybe, provide some insight! A thousand thanks!!!
Welcome to the forums and don't be afraid to ask questions. Lots of very knowledgeable people here!

Darryl
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Not a new member but one that's returning to the forum after several years away.
Tula Neil is my ID I'm in the UK started collecting Mosin Nagant Rifles made by Tula when I got a fair collection with advice from this forum and others. Range time was a blast M38 M44 flames PU sniper for long range, 91/30's of various years, Finnish capture etc.
My first post was 2011 wow ten years ago.
Over this time my hobby of shooting has changed still have the rifles + other makes Enfield Mauser etc, my main interest has moved to Historic and rare Pistols & Revolvers of Mr's Colt & Browning we have a fair collection they are live we can shoot them on controlled range days, but they can not be taken home have to be stored at the range armoury. I hope to continue to learn from this forum.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Tula Neil wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:45 am Not a new member but one that's returning to the forum after several years away.
Tula Neil is my ID I'm in the UK started collecting Mosin Nagant Rifles made by Tula when I got a fair collection with advice from this forum and others. Range time was a blast M38 M44 flames PU sniper for long range, 91/30's of various years, Finnish capture etc.
Over this time my hobby of shooting has changed still have the rifles + other makes Enfield Mauser etc, my main interest has moved to Historic and rare Pistols & Revolvers of Mr's Colt & Browning we have a fair collection they are live we can shoot them on controlled range days, but they can not be taken home have to be stored at the range armoury. I hope to continue to learn from this forum.
Welcome back! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Tula44 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:32 pm
Tula Neil wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:45 am Not a new member but one that's returning to the forum after several years away.
Are the Tula's staging a take over.....? Welcome back to Tula Neil, and a belated welcome to Tula44.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

ffuries wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:45 pm
Tula44 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:32 pm
Are the Tula's staging a take over.....? Welcome back to Tula Neil, and a belated welcome to Tula44.
Haha. Thanks! :thumbsup: :chuckles:
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Thank you for the welcome it's been awhile glad to be back. A take over of two :chuckles:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Tula Neil wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:10 am Thank you for the welcome it's been awhile glad to be back. A take over of two :chuckles:
Hey, we don't know how many Tulas yall have hiding in the shadows........ :?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Glocked2

Thanks and looking for Info

Post by Glocked2 »

Good Morning and Happy 4th. Sent here from FB's Mosin Nagant Collector's Group....Here I am. lol. Anyhow, Had come across this forum a bit ago when looking for information about history of my round receiver Tula 91/30. Just picked up a Hex Izhevsk ( I believe) and am back on the hunt for solid information regarding markings and such. Both rifles seem to be numbers matching however I do not have the bayonet for my hex receiver. Both seem to have good rifling and are in good condition. I have spent some time searching YouTube (IV8888 and others) for info. I look forward to learning about these rifles in detail as well as leads to obtain a M44 or M59(?) possibly.

Thank you for letting me join.
Keith9130

Post by Keith9130 »

Hey, I have been a Mosin owner for more than three years now, great underrated rifle. Ammo is getting a little hard to find, maybe we'll all have to start reloading? Reliable info on these rifles is rather hard to find, (the emphasis is on Reliable) so thanks so much for letting me join you!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Keith9130 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:14 pm Hey, I have been a Mosin owner for more than three years now, great underrated rifle. Ammo is getting a little hard to find, maybe we'll all have to start reloading? Reliable info on these rifles is rather hard to find, (the emphasis is on Reliable) so thanks so much for letting me join you!
Problem with reloading that most will have is that surplus ammo, and the new manufactured stuff out of Russia is all Berdan primed, not boxer primed like USA commercial ( or Privi) rounds. Most is also steel case that was only intended for use one time. It's not impossible to reload Berdan cases, but primers for these are more commonly found in Europe before Covid, and the tools for reloading Berdan cases aren't common here either. Some who got into reloading before we entered interesting times have boxer cases on hand as well as components, but anyone starting now is facing an expensive uphill battle. Conserve what you have, try to get more, expect to pay more for what there is, and remember that it's still better than no ammo at all.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Keith9130 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:14 pm Hey, I have been a Mosin owner for more than three years now, great underrated rifle. Ammo is getting a little hard to find, maybe we'll all have to start reloading? Reliable info on these rifles is rather hard to find, (the emphasis is on Reliable) so thanks so much for letting me join you!
I think the newer PPU is good brass and boxer primed. You just need some reloadable ammo. It's here and there.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
medeacor

US Westinghouse Moisin

Post by medeacor »

Hi - Newbie here - have done a search of forums but not sure I found the answer I needed

Have a Westinghouse Moisin but there is no handguard - barrel bands look to have been touching the barrel underneath the bands for many years as the area underneath the bands is fairly bright - and don't see how there could be any room for a handguard to fit underneath and be retaining by the barrel bands (front and rear)

One source has said that ALL US made Moisins did have handguards - but have found plenty of images of US made that have no handguards - if it was in fact supposed to have a handguard and that source was correct then I need to try and find one but guess the barrel bands would be different as well

Thanks for your help!
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Yes, all U.S. made Mosins had hand guards.
Mosin Fanboy
medeacor

Post by medeacor »

Thanks much - found lots of pix of Rem and WHouse that did not have hguards posted online so that has just confused the issue - now I'll try and track one down I guess
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

medeacor wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:53 am Thanks much - found lots of pix of Rem and WHouse that did not have hguards posted online so that has just confused the issue - now I'll try and track one down I guess
Also the old style handguards attach differently from a 91/30. The bands you have are most likely the correct ones.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
wmg819

Post by wmg819 »

New member and new owner of a Type 53 Mosin. Looking at collecting a Type 44 Mosin next since that s what the Type 53 was patterned after. Interested in learning best ways to preserve the original look and functionality of these old war horses. And the plus side of this is that my grandkids have an interest in old rifles as well which is good since one day they will be the ones that get them.
Rustynuts

Post by Rustynuts »

New member. Got my C&R just to buy a 1935 Hex Tula, probably about 10-yrs ago. Back when prices were sane! I think I paid about $115 for both the hex upgrade and hand select. STILL have not shot it! Dummys cycle fine, but still need to field gauge it.

All numbers matching.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... ZtJStSnxaT

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... hXh0b8jqxi

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... 9iypxJUMR7

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... 9WYoDSsDF8
Mosina_762

Post by Mosina_762 »

Hi all!
Came across this forum while looking online for info on replacing a broken bolt extractor. I took my 1938 91/30 & Chinese M44 to the local gun shop to get looked at, & that’s the news I’ve gotten so far from the guy answering the phone. Hoping for better news once I talk to the smith tomorrow. Regardless, I’m just here to look & learn.
And maybe share a pic or 2!
За здоровье!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Mosina_762 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:22 pm Hi all!
Came across this forum while looking online for info on replacing a broken bolt extractor. I took my 1938 91/30 & Chinese M44 to the local gun shop to get looked at, & that’s the news I’ve gotten so far from the guy answering the phone. Hoping for better news once I talk to the smith tomorrow. Regardless, I’m just here to look & learn.
And maybe share a pic or 2!
За здоровье!
If possible, get a bolt head with extractor in it. It's easy to break one changing it. :bonk: There are some available at Liberty Tree. Find them @ top of this page.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
gunhead67

Post by gunhead67 »

Hello All,
I am an older collector Russian communist block stuff. I sell things more then I buy these days. I came over from another board. I look for info. Try to help others if I can with info. I am Russian/Ukrainian/German origin. Born in PA & moved to FL 4 years ago.