Talk about bad luck.......

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
ffuries

Talk about bad luck.......

Post by ffuries »

My son, DIL and 2 of our grandkids have been here a week, they loaded up the car to head back to SC this morning. As they are backing up, my wife notices a red puddle......Stops him and he's leaking transmission fluid. Can't tell if it's the transmission cooler, a line, or a fitting.

So they unload the car, and my wife followed him over to Pepboys to have it figured out. Guess it's better it happened in the driveway than to happen while doing 70 MPH on 1-10......and shred a transmission.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Talk about bad luck.......

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That can be an easy cheap fix, or a financial disaster of a transmission rebuild. These days there are so many different fluids used, some expensive as hell. I miss the days when everything was type A, even that is expensive now. The fluid drive in my old '52 Saratoga used 10w motor oil.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:06 am That can be an easy cheap fix, or a financial disaster of a transmission rebuild. These days there are so many different fluids used, some expensive as hell. I miss the days when everything was type A, even that is expensive now. The fluid drive in my old '52 Saratoga used 10w motor oil.
That and in the old days, you could look under the hood or car and find a leak. Nowadays there is too much crap under there to tell where a leak starts........

We know the leak is in the front, by the radiator, but with the system pressurized, fluid squirts all over the place. So it was hard to isolate where it was coming from. We'll find out more later today hopefully, and I'll post back what they find. If not we'll find out tomorrow......So much for peacefulness and a quiet house for another day or two.......!

:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

My ol truck has a leak or two, I just pour more stuff in it. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

It's good it didn't happen on the freeway....
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Rongo wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:10 pm It's good it didn't happen on the freeway....
Big time......

Well the news is in, the transmission cooler failed (Is leaking).....Quote is a little over $400.00 and with a military discount comes in at just under $400.00. So not too bad, and disaster averted by mom's (CINC Household) eagle eyes.

So either tonight or first thing in the AM it will be done, and they'll be able to get back on the road tomorrow!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Well their bad luck is holding on......The idiots ordered the wrong part or the wrong part was delivered. Depends on which one answers the phone. As of now they are still waiting for their car to be repaired.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

was the break in a weld/braised joint..? or, road debris flying up and impacting the reservoir..?
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

tomaustin wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:10 pm was the break in a weld/braised joint..? or, road debris flying up and impacting the reservoir..?
Turns out it was an auxiliary power steering pump/reservoir/cooler (?). Apparently the previous owner towed it and had it set up for that.

But it's repaired and they are repacking, to head back up to SC in a few.......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

kiss 'em on the cheek, pat 'em on the butt, and, go sit down and have a beer.......your day is done...!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

The it's this; No Wait! It's that game. Yup.... Good times.

Modern wheels are a real joy. :roll:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Rongo wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:01 pm The it's this; No Wait! It's that game. Yup.... Good times.

That's why they need 4 mechanics to stand around a vehicle at these types of shops nowadays. So that they can take turns throwing out ideas as to what the issue is until someone guesses correctly......

:vconfused: :vconfused: :vconfused:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Breaker points, four on the floor, carburetors, drum brakes, steel body's, all necessary items in any vehicle I own. I might bend the rules for a non aod automatic from time to time, but if it has more than two or three wires going to the engine then it's out of here. After the EMP while I am racing off to the hills with my bugout load in the M37 you all will be sitting in your modern computerized fried shitbox's wondering how the fuck your getting home. Good luck with that :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

ffuries wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:34 pm
Rongo wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:01 pm The it's this; No Wait! It's that game. Yup.... Good times.

That's why they need 4 mechanics to stand around a vehicle at these types of shops nowadays. So that they can take turns throwing out ideas as to what the issue is until someone guesses correctly......

I lucked out & found a brilliant mechanic who works out of his barn. He does it all, works on foreign & domestic & is reasonable at $60 an hour. Noticed a grind from the front (Wheel Hub)& leaking from front differential (Shot inner bearing) & busted CV boot. Replaced the wheel hub bearing, New CV axle, transmission filter, gasket & new fluid along with full front diff replaced on my Suburban. Cost me half what a standard shop charges & it drives like a new truck. There was a time when I did all that myself.... Too old to even bother now.

"Dang that entropy"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Rongo wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:00 am
ffuries wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:34 pm

I lucked out & found a brilliant mechanic who works out of his barn. He does it all, works on foreign & domestic & is reasonable at $60 an hour. Noticed a grind from the front (Wheel Hub)& leaking from front differential (Shot inner bearing) & busted CV boot. Replaced the wheel hub bearing, New CV axle, transmission filter, gasket & new fluid along with full front diff replaced on my Suburban. Cost me half what a standard shop charges & it drives like a new truck. There was a time when I did all that myself.... Too old to even bother now.
Years ago I brought my 1990 Plymouth Sundance into a shop for a CV axel replacement. The boot on the passenger side was torn for the 3rd time in 2 years. He goes I'll replace, but I won't give you an warranty. I asked why, because you'll be back in 6 months for it again. Why, you have a bad motor mount.

Two shops had done work and never mentioned the motor mount.

Well he went to order the mount and it was different than mine, argued with me over my engine, saying it wasn't the original engine and had been in an accident. Which neither was true, turns out the company had put right motor mounts in left motor mount boxes and vice versa.

Some mechanics are assholes and self described know it all's......Then you run into one, who has old school ethics, those are harder to find nowadays.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member