How much is a mint barrel worth?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
BMW_E70

How much is a mint barrel worth?

Post by BMW_E70 »

Looking at a new barrel for my 91/30. Or to" future proof " it. I found a minty barrel that passes the barrel test, has no pitting and strong rifling. Seller wants $160 (145 forvthe barrel) shipped, I consider it a" hand select" because of the detail provided. Does that sound fair?

Only issue is slight marring near the front sight post where bare metal is exposed. Crown looks good.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: How much is a mint barrel worth?

Post by Darryl »

1) Have you ever tried to remove or replace a Mosin Nagant barrel?
It's an almost an impossible task. Certainly a job for a gunsmith. A amateur is not likely to be able to do the job.

2) Have you read out "rules"?
https://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/app.php/rules
Sections "b" and "f" in particular.

Darryl
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Probably better off selling the gun and looking for something that suits your tastes more. The cost associated with buying/replacing the barrel would be high.
I understand wanting an accurate (or fairly accurate rifle). Nobody likes shooting six inch groups...tighter the better.
With the old surplus rifles though, part of the allure, for me, is the historical aspect of using something as it was used (or similar to as it was used) when in service. Piddling much with them isn't my thing. I do like piddling with modern stuff as I want it to be accurate/useful.
Mosin Fanboy
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

You do realize that you don't just unscrew one barrel and screw in the other one, right? When you get it to head-space correctly the sight is liable to be at a 45 degree angle. I agree with the others, buy a rifle that meets your specs., you will be far better off.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Where does a"mint" barrel come from ? Who is taking apart "mint rifles" and selling the parts ? Beware of a barrel floating around by itself.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
sreyemj

Post by sreyemj »

Would take $15,000 worth of ammo to even begin to wear out a good barrel.

And then it's not original. I would pass on that paperweight.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Have you even shot the rifle? Minty bore really doesn't mean much. I remember selling a premo MO with a bore that looked never shot to one of the forum members here. And he was a range rat and a good shot. He eventually sold the rifle because it just wouldn't print. I was shocked. On the other side of the spectrum, a bore that looks rough to the eye could be a tack driver. If your rifle is a dud, replace it and hang it on the wall. As Darryl eludes, we don't discuss these things in this forum. Also, consider the cost of replacing the barrel. Just doesn't make financial sense vs. buying a replacement rifle. If you go down this rabbit hole, you will be disappointed. Leave them as they are.