Le golfball cannon

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
steelbuttplate

Le golfball cannon

Post by steelbuttplate »

Yep, I been looking for a barrel to make one of these. These don't really bang, they thump like a mortar. The chrome cannon will put golfs thru 1/2 inch plywood @ 25 yd. The little guy shoots a 7 penny stack, usually hitting en masse @ 25 yd. Results on a piece of tough laminate flooring. God bless America :USA Flag:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Le golfball cannon

Post by millman »

I have one of those.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

You could put 250 gr. of black in that bad boy and send one into the next county. How many patches do you use ? Mine won't shoot right without fodder. How bout You ? Where the hell did you get that Millman ? MMMh, Millman. Maybe he milled it ? SCHeeeeewwwwweee cool :vcool:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Sell it to me sell it to me sell it to me c'mon man I need it bad. :facepalm2:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

steelbuttplate wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:56 pm You could put 250 gr. of black in that bad boy and send one into the next county. How many patches do you use ? Mine won't shoot right without fodder. How bout You ? Where the hell did you get that Millman ? MMMh, Millman. Maybe he milled it ? SCHeeeeewwwwweee cool :vcool:
I just put a tshirt rag around it until it is a little tight. I dont use BP though . I use acetylene.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

( I am thinking there is some craziness going on here.)
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Here is my cannon. I have another one that my Son made me from turned brass, but I have never fired it yet.
This one is about 1" long and fires a BB. Can break a light bulb at around 10 feet.

Darryl

minicannon001.png
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Can it fire an iron ball? How far, and how much penetration can it get with an iron ball into say, a wood frame house?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:11 am Can it fire an iron ball? How far, and how much penetration can it get with an iron ball into say, a wood frame house?
Probably not, too heavy and not much distance on a smoothbore. I'm guessing some of these golf balls have went half a mile. It's pretty devastating with grapeshot bags too.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

When I was in A school, in the Navy, some of the sailors were making tennis ball cannons and having artillery duels from barracks to barracks. If I remember correctly they were made with tin cans taped together and fueled with lighter fluid. Of course, it wouldn't go on long before some officer of the day would come around and put an end to the fun. Officers hate seeing others have fun; it goes against their grain.

As kids, we would make pistols with bicycle spokes. We would reverse the ferrule on the spoke, bend the spoke into the general shape of a pistol, pack the ferrules with match head powder seal the end with a broken stick and heat the base of the ferrule. Sometimes they would peel back like a banana. It is a wonder that any of us survived with their eyesight. We also made pistols powered by firecrackers using galvanized pipe and using spent shotgun shells slid over the end of the pipe. They would send a shell nearly a hundred yards. My father was a plumber so we had a good supply of pipe and fittings.

Growing up during the golden age of American Rocketry, a few of us 12 or 13 year olds came up with an idea to make our own rocket. We envisioned a pipe filled with gasoline and compressed air. Thank goodness we never brought the plan to fruition.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:09 am When I was in A school, in the Navy, some of the sailors were making tennis ball cannons and having artillery duels from barracks to barracks. If I remember correctly they were made with tin cans taped together and fueled with lighter fluid. Of course, it wouldn't go on long before some officer of the day would come around and put an end to the fun. Officers hate seeing others have fun; it goes against their grain.

As kids, we would make pistols with bicycle spokes. We would reverse the ferrule on the spoke, bend the spoke into the general shape of a pistol, pack the ferrules with match head powder seal the end with a broken stick and heat the base of the ferrule. Sometimes they would peel back like a banana. It is a wonder that any of us survived with their eyesight. We also made pistols powered by firecrackers using galvanized pipe and using spent shotgun shells slid over the end of the pipe. They would send a shell nearly a hundred yards. My father was a plumber so we had a good supply of pipe and fittings.

Growing up during the golden age of American Rocketry, a few of us 12 or 13 year olds came up with an idea to make our own rocket. We envisioned a pipe filled with gasoline and compressed air. Thank goodness we never brought the plan to fruition.
I remember making the tennis ball cannon with beer cans as a kid in Okinawa. They put an end to it pretty damn quick, when some yahoo (Not me), decided it would be cool to douse the tennis ball in fuel and light it. Well they shot said flaming tennis ball into the boonies which caused a fire.

That was end of that fun.....!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I'm trying to remember how those were made, I think it was six cans, all the ends cut out except for one. You took the can opener and made 4-5 holes around the top of the one can. Tape it all end to end and put lighter fluid in the fume exploder load and light small hole at the rear ? It was only 45 yrs ago, not real clear memory, mostly remember cold 16 0z. Miller.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:35 pm I'm trying to remember how those were made, I think it was six cans, all the ends cut out except for one. You took the can opener and made 4-5 holes around the top of the one can. Tape it all end to end and put lighter fluid in the fume exploder load and light small hole at the rear ? It was only 45 yrs ago, not real clear memory, mostly remember cold 16 0z. Miller.
We cut the top off on the muzzle end, make holes around the tops and bottoms of the others, except the end one. We'd leave the end intact, and put one hole on the side (Touch hole). Put your fuel in, shake it up, then drop a match in the end hole, and boom, then repeat!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

" pistols with bicycle spokes " I remember older brother and friends making those back in the day.
I had some old black powder to get rid of years ago. I took my Tee post driver and drilled a small flash hole in the end. Dumped the powder in and tamped in an old tee shirt on top of that. Placed the base on some paper, lit it up and walked back in the house. Holy chit what a boom it made. Neighbor lady come running over telling me her hot water tank in the basement exploded and then we had a big laugh.