20 rd plastic Magazine in SKS

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Buckhead

20 rd plastic Magazine in SKS

Post by Buckhead »

I was at a gun show last week. There was a guy selling an SKS with a plastic 20 round magazine in it, he said that you don't have to alter the gun you just remove the original and the plastic one snaps right in. He was asking $850.00 for the gun and he had the original magazine to go with it. $850 is way more than I want to pay for a Chinese SKS being I already have one that I think I have fixed after the gas tube blew off, but that's mentioned in another post. My question is is it even legal to put a aftermarket 20 round magazine in an SKS? I would think the 10 round stripper clips would be faster than trying to load a 20 round removable magazine.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 20 rd plastic Magazine in SKS

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

$850 for a Chinese SKS that I once got for free? I used to see them well under $100, usually under $50 if they were " used" as in surplus. I have no idea if that plastic mag is 922r compliant, it's the first thing I would remove and toss in the woods. I remember one I had years back, piece of crap split, end of that experiment. Nothing wrong with the 10 round original, they work just fine, but $850? Damn!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've got two 20 round SKS mags that are steel, and fixed. You can load them with strippers but you have to hold the bolt tight after the first ten or it will close. They work fine but get in the way trying to take a rest, Id' rather use the original.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

I like the one I have now that I got the new used gas tube and rod in her.

steelbutplate mentioned in my other that maybe the keeper latch that holds the tube and rod in wasn't fully engaged I am thinking the same thing, the latch moves without a lot of resistance or maybe it wasn't fully engaged.
After I got the the parts I stripped the gun down and went over it thoroughly, everything looked fine.
the old rod was bent, but i don't know if it was what caused the incident or if I bent it trying to beat it out of the tube, I am leaning more towards the latch being the problem.
Anyway I will try it out when I get to the range again, if any of y'all have any other suggestions I would appreciate it.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I really don't get the concept of a 20 round magazine in an SKS... Doesn't matter much. $850 is highway robbery... even if it was a Russian...

I suppose that in some states this magazine would be illegal and in other not so much... I'm pretty sure it would be legal in Michigan but not to hunt with.

I am assuming that the keeper latch is now firm as it should be with the new gas tube? Did you check the spring loaded rod in the rear sight, (that actually returns the piston) to see if it was in good condition-not bent? The spring is in good condition and not broken?
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

qz2026 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:05 am I really don't get the concept of a 20 round magazine in an SKS... Doesn't matter much. $850 is highway robbery... even if it was a Russian...

I suppose that in some states this magazine would be illegal and in other not so much... I'm pretty sure it would be legal in Michigan but not to hunt with.

I am assuming that the keeper latch is now firm as it should be with the new gas tube? Did you check the spring loaded rod in the rear sight, (that actually returns the piston) to see if it was in good condition-not bent? The spring is in good condition and not broken?
I think it was caused by operator error, everything feels good and tight now, the small rod with the spring on it is in good shape as well. I will keep an eye on the keeper latch the next time I go to the range. I was even thinking about putting a zip tie around it to make sure it doesn't move. I will let y'all know how it works out the next time I get to the range, Thanks all for the input.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Buckhead wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:00 pm
qz2026 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:05 am I really don't get the concept of a 20 round magazine in an SKS... Doesn't matter much. $850 is highway robbery... even if it was a Russian...

I think it was caused by operator error, everything feels good and tight now, the small rod with the spring on it is in good shape as well. I will keep an eye on the keeper latch the next time I go to the range. I was even thinking about putting a zip tie around it to make sure it doesn't move. I will let y'all know how it works out the next time I get to the range, Thanks all for the input.
Sounds like you are good to go... If the keeper latch is firm now, you should be alright.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

A twenty round mag removes the rifle from C&R status.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:20 pm but $850? Damn!
:chuckles: :chuckles: That made me laugh.

Years ago I have a Yugoslavian SKS and it was a smooth shooting rifle. The 7.62X39mm was cheap and easy to get, probably one of the best surplus rifles I've had the pleasure to shoot. The SKS was not a rifle I was interested in collecting. But, if the day comes that I'm able to pick up a Russian SKS I would probably get one to go along with my other Russian rifles.
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

I'ma guess that plastic mag will do nothing in 922R respect since people modify them to take 30 round AK mags all the time. The better question though is why even bother with a plastic mag the original is good enough. Also at that price why even bother. But whoever buys it at that price tell them I have a bridge I'd like to sell them also.