Need Help to Identify

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Ole Bob

Need Help to Identify

Post by Ole Bob »

Hello All
I recently purchase a 1929 Mosin that the stock has been modified and the original bolt is bent
The Barrel is to short to be an M91 but the front sight is correct for the period and I don't see any import marks.
Also all the serial numbers match in the correct places.

Also I have a 1915 Westinghouse M91 but I have misplaced the upper hand guard. I have searched and found one but the price for one is I think to high. $275. Anyone know of a good source for one?

Thanks for Listening to me

Ole Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Need Help to Identify

Post by millman »

If it is the same length as a 91/30 it is a Dragoon rifle.
Good luck finding a reasonably priced handguard.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

how are you at whittling...?
Ole Bob

Post by Ole Bob »

I thought it might be a Dragoon or a Cossack. The bent bolt had me puzzled. Could not see where it was heated to make the curve.
Not that good at whittling but I could with time make one. Just trying to keep it original.
I did see a M91 on GB that did not have the handguard and his starting price was $995. Seemed kind of pricey to me.
Will watch it and see how his works out. Thanks for the info and have a Great day.
Ole Bob
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Ole Bob wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:04 pm I thought it might be a Dragoon or a Cossack. The bent bolt had me puzzled. Could not see where it was heated to make the curve.
Not that good at whittling but I could with time make one. Just trying to keep it original.
I did see a M91 on GB that did not have the handguard and his starting price was $995. Seemed kind of pricey to me.
Will watch it and see how his works out. Thanks for the info and have a Great day.
Ole Bob
The bent bolt is what Bubba did to it after he chopped the stock and used the handguard for kindling.
I bought a Finnish M91 with no handguard about 5 years ago and gave $250. $995 is nuts.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Ole Bob

Post by Ole Bob »

I thought the fellow on GB was way over priced on the M91 but I'm Curious to see how the auction goes.
House Beagle

Post by House Beagle »

Our sponsor at the top of the web page, Liberty Tree Collectors, has 2 available for $145 apiece. In my opinion that’s about what you should expect to pay for an M91 handguard. Hope this helps.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

The first one is an Izhevsk Dragoon that was sporterized. The thought process behind ruining it by chopping the stock and performing a slight bend in the bolt handle is beyond my comprehension.

I would search high and low for the misplaced hand guard. They are hard to find. Market price is probably $150 on those. You'll probably find your original hand guard a week after you receive a new one.
Mosin Fanboy
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

willyj73 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:57 pm The first one is an Izhevsk Dragoon that was sporterized. The thought process behind ruining it by chopping the stock and performing a slight bend in the bolt handle is beyond my comprehension.

I would search high and low for the misplaced hand guard. They are hard to find. Market price is probably $150 on those. You'll probably find your original hand guard a week after you receive a new one.
I think you meant a "stock" and not just a "hand guard". That stock is trash.

Just for future posting, this should not be in the "collectable Mosin forum" section. It should be in the "Sportsters and all Hunting Rifles Forum" section.

Darryl