Charles Daly 20 gauge O/U

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Sonny

Charles Daly 20 gauge O/U

Post by Sonny »

Well you might think that the name Charles Daly would be a fancy smancy English gun but nope, this one is made in Turkey. So now you're thinking that this is a piece of crap gun but actually it's pretty darn nice. :thumbsup:
As a bonus the weather was nice and the range master opened up the trap range today. Shot three rounds and hit a 18/25 - 18/25 and on the last round I hit 22 which is not to bad for a new gun and a 20 gauge to boot. Seems the bottom barrel with a full choke tube was doing the best but more shootin' to come. So bottom line is that I'm very pleased with this gun and have no regrets about buying it sight unseen. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Charles Daly 20 gauge O/U

Post by millman »

My father bought a Turkish 20 gauge from one of his buddies. It looks similar to yours. It is quite nice. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
entropy

Post by entropy »

Not a gun I'd subject to 200 rounds a day, like I did to my Ljutic today, but fine for 200 rounds a year, though a little light for my tastes. (For an O/U.)

Ought to be devastating on the prairie chickens up there, Sonny! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

entropy wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:37 pm Not a gun I'd subject to 200 rounds a day, like I did to my Ljutic today, but fine for 200 rounds a year, though a little light for my tastes. (For an O/U.)

Ought to be devastating on the prairie chickens up there, Sonny! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You Sir are someone with shotgun knowledge and I like that.. So..

I like this little Charles Daly 20 gauge for what it is.. But.. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a 12 gauge O/U and no I don't want to break the bank. lol So... I've got two that interest me.. First is a Stevens 555 and what I like about it is the light weight. (6 lbs)
Second is a Weatherby Orion..Damn that's a pretty gun. :thumbsup:

Would love to hear some pro's and con's of each shotgun..... So far I'm leaning to the Weatherby.

Thoughts?
entropy

Post by entropy »

The Stevens is a decent gun for the money; I'm still knocking around getting one in 28 gauge. In twelve, I can tell you from personal experience, that light weight makes it kick a lot. A friend (who, ironically developed a finch from shooting a Winchester 101 for a Trap gun for many years) bought one for a pheasant gun and brought it to the club and shot a few rounds through it (rounds of trap) and he was flinching worse than with his 101 after that. He let some of us try it, and it kicked worse than the Beretta I was thinking of buying for a pheasant gun!

I always liked the Miroku Weatherbys. The Turkish ones are not as nice as them, but they are a good gun for the money. An Orion in 20 was another that was in the running for a pheasant gun, I shot a round of Sporting Clays with one that a friend that invited me Sporting Clays shooting lent me when I showed up with my 870 with synthetic stocks on it. I think I might have embarrassed him into lending me his wife's Orion, but I didn't turn it down. And I shot it better than I would have my 870!

I agree with you, the Weatherby is the better gun, but if a light gun is what you want the Stevens 555 is a good one. Just don't forget Newton's Third Law.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Thanks for the info entropy. :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

We have a 30+ year old Charles Daly 12 O/U that was made my Moroku Japan and it is the sweetest operating and most accurate double I’ve handled. Choked modified and IC I believe. It’s locked up in my brothers safe a hour east of me [emoji3]