Light surface rust advice

Rim Fire Firearms
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Light surface rust advice

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bogozzo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:00 pm so a decade late to the string, but I was just skulking through some old posts in the forums and thought I'd share re a rust hack. I agree with the brass/bronze brush advice and would add that a pure copper penny works quite well also. the penny is useful if you are into some more serious rust and have to apply a bit more force than a brush might. To prevent rust for longer term storage, I use good old fashioned vaseline / petroleum jelly (plain, no fragrances or medications). A thin layer seems to evapourate slowly and comes off easily with a rag and a bit of gun oil.
For anyone not in the know, a real copper penny is one made before 1982, 1981 and down are copper, 1982 and up are a copper plated zinc. This is US made one cent pieces of course, I have no idea about Canadian ones.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

my Momma was a penny collector from the 1920s up until she died in 2007...I have a bag which weighs over 60 pounds of those little buggers....some day, i'll get around to sorting them out ...........
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

bogozzo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:00 pm so a decade late to the string, but I was just skulking through some old posts in the forums and thought I'd share re a rust hack. I agree with the brass/bronze brush advice and would add that a pure copper penny works quite well also. the penny is useful if you are into some more serious rust and have to apply a bit more force than a brush might. To prevent rust for longer term storage, I use good old fashioned vaseline / petroleum jelly (plain, no fragrances or medications). A thin layer seems to evaporate slowly and comes off easily with a rag and a bit of gun oil.
I saw this thread and was shocked and surprised to see MN Fan back on the forum after a very long absence, wonder if he'll get an e-mail notification his thread got a reply?
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

tomaustin wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:34 pm my Momma was a penny collector from the 1920s up until she died in 2007...I have a bag which weighs over 60 pounds of those little buggers....some day, i'll get around to sorting them out ...........
You better look for a '43 copper penny in there $$$$$$$$$$.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

I have a list of the "important" ones..........will get onto that project during the summer....Tom
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Longcolt44 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:10 pm This iis the best 5 bucks you will ever spend on getting rust from a blued surface. I have used it for 5 years and worn out about 3. As the ad says, it will not mar bluing. http://www.frontiermetalcleaner.com
It better be, Chuck, I just ordered two too! (thanks for the tip)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
bogozzo

Post by bogozzo »

[/quote]I saw this thread and was shocked and surprised to see MN Fan back on the forum after a very long absence, wonder if he'll get an e-mail notification his thread got a reply?
[/quote] Actually a new member who's having a wonderful time browsing - so looking at many old posts. Just today I finished reading a string on how to extend a front sight with heatshrink plastic to lower the front aim (genius !) - that one was from 2011. While I'm here Canadian pennies were pure copper until their end of production / distribution in mid 2010's. No pennies in distribution now in Canada, retailers round up or down and give cash change in nickels (which of course are steel).
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bogozzo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:23 am I saw this thread and was shocked and surprised to see MN Fan back on the forum after a very long absence, wonder if he'll get an e-mail notification his thread got a reply?
Actually a new member who's having a wonderful time browsing - so looking at many old posts. Just today I finished reading a string on how to extend a front sight with heatshrink plastic to lower the front aim (genius !) - that one was from 2011. While I'm here Canadian pennies were pure copper until their end of production / distribution in mid 2010's. No pennies in distribution now in Canada, retailers round up or down and give cash change in nickels (which of course are steel).
Is this because all the Canadian pennies ended up in jars, and junk drawers down here in the States? Not kidding, I have to have several rolls worth myself, and I haven't been to Canada since '81. They turn up in our pocket change frequently even now.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bogozzo

Post by bogozzo »

Yes, most disappeared into jars etc. but also many were then illegally melted down because they were worth more as copper than as money. Over the years they got more and more thin. In our family many, many over the years got more thin as we'd take the kids to the rail tracks near our favourite vacation spot and squish them on the tracks.

Lastly, the increase in electronic payments has made cash transactions less common (well, the legal one's anyway). Next step globally will likely be Govt sponsored fiat currency in block chain for all digital transactions, with bitcoin and its imitators being the speculative and "off book" transactions. Govts can still control monetary policy BUT, could trace any given transaction.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I have a 4 gallon jar full of pennies! I'll be damned if I put them in rolls. So they will just stay there till I die (probably!).

Darryl