Any improvement?

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
Lavitias

Re: Any improvement?

Post by Lavitias »

Darryl wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:16 pm I just re-stored all my ammo this last weekend.
I was startled at how much ammo I had!
All I could see is the cops coming over and arresting me for nothing and spreading all that ammo and stuff on the lawn for the Media to take pictures of the "crazy guy" stores! :chuckles:

Darryl
Fat chance of that they'd keep that ammo and try to sell it to their buddies at a profit!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've been working on primitive weapons since the QT started a year ago. First it was Atlatls, I've thrown 6 ft. darts with those things til I injured my forearm and had to quit awhile. What a blast. Then I dug out a dozen arrows and put new vanes on, shot my compound Ben Pearson a few times. I now have ordered speargun bands ordered to make dart firing slingshots. The videos on these things are impressive, an 8 " bolt traveling like it was shot from a bow. Bugs bunny will live hard.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:29 am I've been working on primitive weapons since the QT started a year ago. First it was Atlatls, I've thrown 6 ft. darts with those things til I injured my forearm and had to quit awhile. What a blast. Then I dug out a dozen arrows and put new vanes on, shot my compound Ben Pearson a few times. I now have ordered speargun bands ordered to make dart firing slingshots. The videos on these things are impressive, an 8 " bolt traveling like it was shot from a bow. Bugs bunny will live hard.
When all the ammo is gone we can use spears. :beek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVR4wFtRg74
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Insane, I would have gone after that thing with an RPG.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bogozzo

Post by bogozzo »

As Sonny has noted (and thanks re the hint on 45ACP at Bullseye Sonny) there doesnt seem to be panic buying up here. The biggest drawback here would be shipping costs for some of the stuff coming from across the country. The usual deal I see here in AB is free shipping on orders over $300 for delivery in Province. I was dancing today because I found some light birdshot loads for my ladies guns for skeet shooting ( I never seem to find 410 at any price ) and I was in a general hardware store buying sausage casing.

I got 500 rounds of 308 last week, from Ontario for $472 Cdn with shipping and taxes ( to feed my "new" Savage 99 - yipee). 38 super, 6.5 Carcano, 6x55 Swede are hard to find without higher per unit shipping costs but, again as Sonny says, with a bit of patience and looking can usually be found.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Lavitias wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:38 pm
Darryl wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:16 pm I just re-stored all my ammo this last weekend.
All I could see is the cops coming over and arresting me for nothing and spreading all that ammo and stuff on the lawn for the Media to take pictures of the "crazy guy" stores! :chuckles:

Darryl
Fat chance of that they'd keep that ammo and try to sell it to their buddies at a profit!!
Yep, a truck-load leaves your house and all four boxes get logged in at the station. :thumbsup:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

SA1911a1 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:59 pm
Lavitias wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:38 pm

Darryl
Yep, a truck-load leaves your house and all four boxes get logged in at the station. :thumbsup:
Feeling generous if 4 boxes made it. I'd just assume the truck got lost on the way.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Most of the time the gun store that I go to they have the ammo that I'm looking for but it all comes down to pricing. The price is still $1 a round for .380, 9mm, 5.56. They do have a lot of military surplus ammo including 8mm and the spam cans of 7.62X54R for about $180. It has been harder for me to purchase ammo than it has been for guns. Over the last several months I sold off a good part of my bayonet collection and purchased Glocks with the money. I purchased a brand new Glock 42 last week for $379 (Blue Label discount). But trying to find ammo that is not priced outrageously is a challenge.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

During the election season in 2016 When it was Trump & well, You know who... & everyone was thinking well, you know who... was going to win hands down ammo was scarce, especially 22lr. I was working retail sporting goods at the time & I had many folks stopping by daily inquiring if there was ammo coming in. They would stand around & wait for hours to get the 3 box limit. It was nuts. A few days after Trump won I got a meager shipment of 22 in & it sat on the shelf for 2 days. Before it would have been sold within the hour. For weeks I would see those same customers shopping & would point to the 22 on the shelf. They ALL seemed unconcerned, said they had plenty & walked away.

No; This shortage is being fed by nothing more than Greed, Fear & Panic. Period.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Rongo wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:16 pm During the election season in 2016 When it was Trump & well, You know who... & everyone was thinking well, you know who... was going to win hands down ammo was scarce, especially 22lr. I was working retail sporting goods at the time & I had many folks stopping by daily inquiring if there was ammo coming in. They would stand around & wait for hours to get the 3 box limit. It was nuts. A few days after Trump won I got a meager shipment of 22 in & it sat on the shelf for 2 days. Before it would have been sold within the hour. For weeks I would see those same customers shopping & would point to the 22 on the shelf. They ALL seemed unconcerned, said they had plenty & walked away.

No; This shortage is being fed by nothing more than Greed, Fear & Panic. Period.
I agree, it is greed, fear and panic. It's the gun community that is fueling the panic and fear (generally, not everyone in the gun community).
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Tula44 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:43 pm
Rongo wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:16 pm During the election season in 2016 When it was Trump & well, You know who... & everyone was thinking well, you know who... was going to win hands down ammo was scarce, especially 22lr. I was working retail sporting goods at the time & I had many folks stopping by daily inquiring if there was ammo coming in. They would stand around & wait for hours to get the 3 box limit. It was nuts. A few days after Trump won I got a meager shipment of 22 in & it sat on the shelf for 2 days. Before it would have been sold within the hour. For weeks I would see those same customers shopping & would point to the 22 on the shelf. They ALL seemed unconcerned, said they had plenty & walked away.

I agree, it is greed, fear and panic. It's the gun community that is fueling the panic and fear (generally, not everyone in the gun community).
The gun community is part of this because even after years of seeing these panic runs some still didn't stock up in a big way. These panic runs usually pass in time but the main culprit seems to be new gun owners. These new, first time gun owners, includes people who thought gun control was a good idea and in some cases even advocated it. This started last year when the riots broke out and people started seeing they were going to be on their own. I'm not sure of the numbers but it's in the millions. Record high NICS checks statistics confirm this. All these new gun owners thrown in to the mix are driving demand in a way I've never seen. That coupled with calls to defund the police and in some cases eliminate them along with all the proposed gun control laws coming down the pike with a government that now has the anti-2nd Amendment crowd in control. The other thing that's compounding things is the Covid shutdowns that affected everything from raw materials production to inventory production and delivery/distribution. It's hard to sell what isn't there. What I am seeing right now and have for a few weeks is inventory is starting to stick around a little longer, prices as slowly coming down and delivery lead times are getting shorter with some vendors. They're still insane but they are receding. Hopefully it stays this course but we're only good until the next threatened law or ban.
Last edited by WeldonHunter on Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

No doubt there has been a lot of new gun owners and that's a very good thing! There are a lot of different factors involved for sure. It's going to take a while for ammo prices to drop though, hopefully soon though there will be some relief.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Sonny wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:03 pm You're gonna hate me for this but I got this in an email today.

Yup still lots up here....... for now.
I was suffering from a gas attack and rather that lie in bed and keep her highness up, I went into my at home office and logged on. Found this place and was ready to spend a few bucks and realized that this place was up there with you and saw in the BOLD print nothing shipped to the U.S.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

newt, thank you very much for the part about the gas..................
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
tomaustin wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:38 am newt, thank you very much for the part about the gas..................
My pleasure :D
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

Over in north Houston TX, I was in an EZ Pawn operation this afternoon chasing down a client's jewelry....On the wall they had 2 rifles, 3 shotguns, and 1 pistol....The owner said that 2 months ago, they had over 800 weapons and this is all that is left....a
big bump in income and now well below normal sales in their store.....
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Yosemite wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:57 pm Now that the vendors are used to people paying these prices, what's to stop them from continuing to do so?
A shortage of willing customers. The ridiculous high prices will end when folks stop the panic. From what I see, people are still buying, so there is no reason to drop the price.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I don't want to sound like an ass but... :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sonny wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:45 am I don't want to sound like an ass but... :lol:
Doesn't bother me, I have enough .22 in all sizes CB to Magnum to last a couple of lifetimes.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

an ass it is........i wonder what percentage of ammo production gets shipped north of the border.....way more guns and shooters down here....and the protection of the market of not allowing the transportation and sales to the us.....

i have been hearing of a gun show or two forming-up in the near future.....