Unidentified 7.62 Spam Can

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
alamo308

Unidentified 7.62 Spam Can

Post by alamo308 »

Found this spam can lurking in my ammo bunker in the back of a shelf labeled 7.62x54R, so I think it's safe to say that's the caliber. But I can't find another example of this exact spam can, like on here, for instance: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=7.62x54r+surp ... &ia=images
It just doesn't match any of those. Is it Russian? Bulgarian? Is it x54R or x39? I don't have an opener, and anyway, I don't want to open it and spoil its originality, so hoping someone has the same thing or otherwise knows what it is. Help! :vconfused:
steelbuttplate

Re: Unidentified 7.62 Spam Can

Post by steelbuttplate »

That could be Tokarev or Nagant pistol ammo. I've never seen Mosin or SKS ammo in a 240 can.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
alamo308

Post by alamo308 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:35 am That could be Tokarev or Nagant pistol ammo. I've never seen Mosin or SKS ammo in a 240 can.
I do have Mosin ammo from a spam can (but slightly different markings), and yep, never thought of that (pistol ammo).
From some other sources, I've been able to speculate on the following interpretations, almost certainly Russian (if the "T" is for Tula), but still can't determine the exact cartridge, rifle or pistol:

7.62 ЦГЛ (?GL = brass case?) (Ц, pronounced "ts")
Production date: ?NOV 1971? ("11 - 71")
ПСР ( = PSR) 12.4
Bullet type ВTЦ "VTx" (x = Ц, prounounced "ts")
Lot = 1 of 71
Factory = Tula
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

Match grade 7.62x54r someone asked the same thing over on gunboards and then some one found where Sportsmans Guide actually was selling that exact can at once. Of course the only way to know for sure is to open it. If it's pistol ammo that's and awfully big can for 240 rounds.
ammo.png
Also if it is that stuff here's some closer up pictures of one of the boxes as I had some of this once. Think I traded it to Joe haha.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alamo308

Re: Unidentified 7.62 Spam Can ---> MYSTERY SOLVED!

Post by alamo308 »

Thanks to another forum member who generously supplied the required can opener, it can now be revealed. :o
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello,
Cool, match ammo for you.. Now, only if you have the Berdan primers to reload it, once shot up.
alamo308

Post by alamo308 »

boltaction wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:40 pm Hello,
Cool, match ammo for you.. Now, only if you have the Berdan primers to reload it, once shot up.
Berdan primers, you say?
In fact, I do have some... maybe about 10,000. Originally got them for reloading that great Swiss GP-11 brass for my K-31s, but now have another use for them as well. Just hope decapping the 7.62 would be as easy as the GP-11, using the RCBS tool.
:thumbsup:

boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello,
You lucky guy...you.