Yataghan Bayonet

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ffuries

Yataghan Bayonet

Post by ffuries »

Well today the mail-lady dropped off a package that wasn't scheduled to get here until the 27th of the month. So I was happy to say the least.

Damn these Yataghan sword bayonets are heavy buggers and long. Regardless it fits nice and tight on the Egyptian Rolling Block, now the hunt for an appropriate sling begins.

Couldn't believe how heavy the rifle without the bayonet was, then add this thing and it's a heavy beast. Just can't imagine small frame people, of the 1800s, lugging that damn thing around. That and it's over 6 feet long with it installed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Re: Yataghan Bayonet

Post by ffuries »

I think I lucked out with this one. WR Kirschbaum made and marked blade, the blade and quillion are both marked Star H in a shield. The Star H Shield mark is the Mutzig control mark, which leads to the bayonet being made/assembled in Germany. There are no spine markings at all that can be seen, either never had them or very well scrubbed.

Based on what I can find, it was a Germany made Remington Rolling Block bayonet, made for Egypt. All this due to markings and lack of markings.....
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello. Wow, nice.
Cool, old relic you have. Do you shoot it?.
Wouldn't be my first choice of a home defense firearm, though. Way too much of a swing radius... Yet, I don't know how big your house is.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

boltaction wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:41 pm Hello. Wow, nice.
Cool, old relic you have. Do you shoot it?.
Wouldn't be my first choice of a home defense firearm, though. Way too much of a swing radius... Yet, I don't know how big your house is.
Not yet, but I will take her to the range one day and have her belch smoke and fire!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Well she has a sling on her now. Just waiting for the firing pin, firing pin retaining pin, and rotary extractor to arrive. Plus waiting on an answer on firing pin retractor. Don't see how it would attach and where it would attach

This rifle is from the second contract and has a rotary extractor versus bar retractor. Evident by the lack of the screw through the receiver, plus it doesn't have a hole for a screw so it doesn't take a slotted rotary extractor. Amazing how much you learn when you start looking for parts.

I can't find a picture of a second contract Egyptian No 1 RB, compete breech block and associated parts to see if I need and where the firing pin retractor would attach. Which I'm assuming would be a late model No 1 firing pin extractor.

After I figure that all out, I'll look for an rear barrel band screw and the middle barrel band sling swivel (Old swivel is just about worn through on the back side and is about to fall off the barrel band.).

Right now I have $470.00 total in it (That's for the rifle, bayonet and missing parts). Not bad considering what I see people asking, and what I've seen them sell for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

$25 in 1993 at the flea market intact, but without bayonet.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:03 pm $25 in 1993 at the flea market intact, but without bayonet.
Yeah, the good ole days. I was just back from Germany in July 92 after 4 years, signed into Columbus AFB, Miss in Aug 92, left there for Tyndall AFB, Fl in Dec 92 on Humanitarian Reassignment (Mom was terminal). Bought a house in Feb 93, after spending 66 days in Temporary Base Billets. I was a young E-4 "Buck" Sergeant with 3 kids and now a mortgage payment.

Never knew there was a thing called gunshows and stores that sold old guns like these. Hell I had never been to a Pawn Shop either at the time. When I came back to the states in 92 I was 25 1/2 years old and had spent 14 years of my life overseas between being an AF Brat and being in the AF.

I went to my first gunshow in 2011. A co-worker of mine, Jere who is no longer with us (Joined the Army Guard in 62, then Air National Guard, then Air Reserve retiring in 04 with 42 years service). Invited me their place and he had guns stuffed everywhere. Told me of a place down the road from his place that had guns that was Jan 2011, I bought a Turkish Mauser that day. 2 months later in March 2011 I bought 2 M91/30s at my first gunshow. The rest is history......
Last edited by ffuries on Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't recall ever seeing any rolling block in a gunshop back in the 90's. They could be had by mail with no FFL so no incentive for a shop to stock them. Not many people wanting them either, the collecting world was not what we know it as today. The big thing then was all the US arms coming back from South Korea, and other places, the Enfield hoard was starting to thin out, and you couldn't give away a Turk Mauser, or Chinese type 53. Lot of contract Mausers from central and south America were around, and of course a bunch of " Russian" rifles out of Finland. The rollers were from a previous generation of imports, some of them go all the way back to Bannerman . I occasionally tore myself away from US M1903's and M1's to grab something oddball and cheap if I spotted it in passing. Finn 28/30, Argentine roller, No5 jungle carbine, SAFN49 ( Egyptian, and Venezuelan ) SVT40, Hungarian PU, and so on. The late 1980's and most of the 90's were the happy time for collectors, few today will ever know what it was like to walk into a flea market with five, or six hundred in cash and walk out with 26 guns. I was buying shit I didn't even know what they were, and I didn't care because it was all cheap, and I would enjoy learning what it was later. At todays prices I want to know everything before I pay out for anything, and even then I would worry it was faked somehow.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:24 pm I don't recall ever seeing any rolling block in a gunshop back in the 90's. They could be had by mail with no FFL so no incentive for a shop to stock them. Not many people wanting them either, the collecting world was not what we know it as today. The big thing then was all the US arms coming back from South Korea, and other places, the Enfield hoard was starting to thin out, and you couldn't give away a Turk Mauser, or Chinese type 53. Lot of contract Mausers from central and south America were around, and of course a bunch of " Russian" rifles out of Finland. The rollers were from a previous generation of imports, some of them go all the way back to Bannerman . I occasionally tore myself away from US M1903's and M1's to grab something oddball and cheap if I spotted it in passing. Finn 28/30, Argentine roller, No5 jungle carbine, SAFN49 ( Egyptian, and Venezuelan ) SVT40, Hungarian PU, and so on. The late 1980's and most of the 90's were the happy time for collectors, few today will ever know what it was like to walk into a flea market with five, or six hundred in cash and walk out with 26 guns. I was buying shit I didn't even know what they were, and I didn't care because it was all cheap, and I would enjoy learning what it was later. At todays prices I want to know everything before I pay out for anything, and even then I would worry it was faked somehow.
Well put, plus yall didn't have the internet back then either, then when it did roll around information was sparse at best. Nowadays we can research before we buy. Amazing how collecting trends change.

While I'm still into MilSurps, I'm liking the old, obscure, antique milsurp weapons now. Don't know if it's because they have a longer history or what. I won't pass up a good deal on later MilSurps mind you, but as you alluded to the prices are ridiculous now.

With movies like Saving Private Ryan, Band Of Brothers, Enemy At The Gate etc, Mosin Nagants, M1 Garands, K98k Mausers etc have seem to attract a different and new collector. RC Mausers that no one wanted and the purists snubbed, now are commanding $700.00 plus. For a buyer the prices are hard to deal with, for a person wishing to thin out their collection or sell it all off because of age or health it's a golden time.

Nothing stays constant forever, fact of life, we get older, priorities change, cost of living changes. I learn what I can from the older collectors such as yourself, that same knowledge I pass on to the younger collectors. Knowledge is power, power is knowledge.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member