Mosin 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Stan12

Mosin 91/30

Post by Stan12 »

Hello Collector,

I recently bought this mosin. It has been refurbished but I would like to get some more information about the markings.

Thanks in advance.

Stan
20210113_152219.jpg
20210113_152215.jpg
20210113_152200.jpg
20210113_152134.jpg
20210113_152121.jpg
20210113_152110.jpg
20210113_152103.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
qz2026

Re: Mosin 91/30

Post by qz2026 »

Now, that's on oddball... Looked like a matching Hungarian M-44.... I was thinking... wow, what a nice Hungarian...That is until I saw the rifle itself (which is Russian). That bit of weld or solder on the receiver is kind of odd too. It really looks like someone stuck a Russian carbine in a Hungarian stock and called it good. It appears that even the bolt is Hungarian and matching to the magazine and butt plate.. That said, it's a bit odd that the s/n don't have Hungarian prefixes... Either it's was someone's bad idea of a bubba or it was a refurbishment that came out of Cugir Romania.. I think, I've seen everything now...
Stan12

Post by Stan12 »

qz2026 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:53 am Now, that's on oddball... Looked like a matching Hungarian M-44.... I was thinking... wow, what a nice Hungarian...That is until I saw the rifle itself (which is Russian). That bit of weld or solder on the receiver is kind of odd too. It really looks like someone stuck a Russian carbine in a Hungarian stock and called it good. It appears that even the bolt is Hungarian and matching to the magazine and butt plate.. That said, it's a bit odd that the s/n don't have Hungarian prefixes... Either it's was someone's bad idea of a bubba or it was a refurbishment that came out of Cugir Romania.. I think, I've seen everything now...
I don't know what it is too. The bit of solder is because of the dutch law of making weapons unusable. The weapon length and barrel length match with an 91/30. It is strange because the numbers of the bolt etc are matching to the rifle itself.
Stan12

Post by Stan12 »

qz2026 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:53 am Now, that's on oddball... Looked like a matching Hungarian M-44.... I was thinking... wow, what a nice Hungarian...That is until I saw the rifle itself (which is Russian). That bit of weld or solder on the receiver is kind of odd too. It really looks like someone stuck a Russian carbine in a Hungarian stock and called it good. It appears that even the bolt is Hungarian and matching to the magazine and butt plate.. That said, it's a bit odd that the s/n don't have Hungarian prefixes... Either it's was someone's bad idea of a bubba or it was a refurbishment that came out of Cugir Romania.. I think, I've seen everything now...

I have measured the barrel length and the length of the whole rifle. It has good measurements for a 91/30 rifle.
The welding spot is because of dutch laws of deactivation. This is seen on a lot of rifles in our country.
I am also not sure what is is because the bolt and other parts are numbered 800. The same number as Russian made Rifle. I hope I will find answers. Thanks for your reply
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Mosin 91/30

Post by bunkysdad »

Yes this is a 91/30 not a carbine. The thing that comes to my mind is that it is a matching parts Tula 1942 rifle that was put into a very nice Hungarian stock. Decommissioned by drilling a hole through the receiver and barrel and welding it back up. Is there a pin or rod in the welded area that extends into the inside of the chamber area? What about the bayonet? Does it have a serial # that might happ n to match?
By the way Stan, welcome to the forum. Tell us about yourself. Are you in Denmark? That weld is more substantial than solder[emoji846]
Stan12

Post by Stan12 »

bunkysdad wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:00 pm Yes this is a 91/30 not a carbine. The thing that comes to my mind is that it is a matching parts Tula 1942 rifle that was put into a very nice Hungarian stock. Decommissioned by drilling a hole through the receiver and barrel and welding it back up. Is there a pin or rod in the welded area that extends into the inside of the chamber area? What about the bayonet? Does it have a serial # that might happ n to match?
By the way Stan, welcome to the forum. Tell us about yourself. Are you in Denmark? That weld is more substantial than solder[emoji846]
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. My name is Stan and I am 23 years old. I live in the northern part of The Netherlands.
Yes there is a pin inside the barrel and receiver. This is because of the laws in our country. Could it be that the hungarian refurbished this rifle and made the parts matching? And put it in a new stock?
I picked it up for a very reasonable price and I was very excited to do some research on this rifle. It has many parts that are stamped with the hungarian 02 marking
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Could it be a put together piece for the demilled market?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello,
A waste of a good rifle(demilled)....IMO.
I won't say what I'd do about the pin.... Yet, a nice wall hanger. You shouldn't get in any trouble leaving that one out of the safe... Ain't a firearm anymore.
Stan12

Post by Stan12 »

millman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:05 pm Could it be a put together piece for the demilled market?
Hello,

I am not sure about this because of all the matching numbers... the bolt and buttplate match with the numbers on the barrel. And everything is "02" marked which is hungarian just like the stock is. The strange thing is the buttplate and bolt are hungarian marked and match the number on the barel. I have never seen this before.
Stan12

Post by Stan12 »

boltaction wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:24 pm Hello,
A waste of a good rifle(demilled)....IMO.
I won't say what I'd do about the pin.... Yet, a nice wall hanger. You shouldn't get in any trouble leaving that one out of the safe... Ain't a firearm anymore.
Hello,

Gun laws in our country (The Netherlands) are very strict.
It is almost impossible to own a gun like this in working condition. The pin etc. are put in because of the laws so people like me who love guns can still own them.
I am not sure about this one but it still is a very beautiful rifle to see in my opinion.

Stan
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Stan12 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:24 am
millman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:05 pm Could it be a put together piece for the demilled market?
Hello,

I am not sure about this because of all the matching numbers... the bolt and buttplate match with the numbers on the barrel. And everything is "02" marked which is hungarian just like the stock is. The strange thing is the buttplate and bolt are hungarian marked and match the number on the barel. I have never seen this before.
Do you have any photos of it out of the stock? There might be some clues under the wood. I would like to see the tang stamp.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Stan12

Post by Stan12 »

millman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:15 am
Stan12 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:24 am
Hello,

Do you have any photos of it out of the stock? There might be some clues under the wood. I would like to see the tang stamp.
I do not have any photo's of it out of the wood unfortunately... strangest thing is all parts are marked with the hungarian 02 and also match the number of the russian barrel. Maybe the hungarians used russian barrels and other parts for hungarian uprising because it is also in a hungarian stock.

Stan