rifle explosion......

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
tomaustin

rifle explosion......

Post by tomaustin »

from another site...not my rifle....

"On November 29, 2020 my brand new rifle blew up and sent the bolt threw my face under my right eye then exited underneath my right ear , broke my them and went into my shoulder. Some how I wasn’t killed: I still have my site, my hearing, I’m able to eat, etc. Has anyone heard of this happening with another winchester XPR?"

a major event..!!!!

as an aside, one of that forum membership wrote the following post--"-JBELK. . Is this rifle worth the repair . Or junk it ."
tomaustin

Re: rifle explosion......

Post by tomaustin »

this event is on shooters forum - rifle and rifle cartridges.......

some serious pictures in the posts..................
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

google this ---

Winchester XPR 300 WSM EXPLOSION
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not much to say until the exact cause of the accident is determined. I assume since it was a new rifle it was returned to Winchester, or sent to some testing facility of the Plaintiff's attorneys choice. Manufacturing or assembly defect, ammunition defect, failure by new owner to clean oil out of the chamber and barrel. Shit happens.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

the pics attached down the string are really dramatic......he was very fortunate....
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Yeah pictures do you show you the extent of the injuries, and they aren't pretty to put it politely.

According to the one gun site, the rifle was sent to a member to conduct tests on, same member has been in contact with the injured shooters lawyer.

The shell casing from the mishap shot wasn't recovered, the bolt handle is not available. From the sounds of it, the doctors cut the handle off and it was believe to have been disposed of by the hospital.

The biggest hurdle for the owner is he was using reloads. There will always be some question over that, whether it was contributing factor or not. I'm not saying it was or was not, just throwing the known facts out there, as I've read on the injured shooters post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

thanks for the add-on................tom
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

The biggest hurdle for the owner is he was using reloads
Indeed, this is "telling"... But, it appears we will never know what caused this... That said, I suspect that if one loaded 40 or so grains of pistol propellant in a rifle casing that catastrophic conditions would result... And shooting of a "test" rifle is a bit disconcerting as well... You would think that the builder had already test fired it... Sounds like a pretty bad thing happened.. And, I'm not interested in seeing the pictures. I know of more than one person who puts "new" Milsurp rifles on a tire in front of the shooting station and pulls the trigger with a string, just in case, the first time they shoot it. I've never gone to that extreme but even when head spaced and fully inspected and cleaned, I always stand back and reach to pull the trigger, especially if I'm using reloads... And if nothing bad happens and the spent case looks good, I'll then put a cheek weld on the butt stock. Call me crazy... I just hate to see these stories...
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

My first question is always, "Was it factory ammo?"
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:55 am My first question is always, "Was it factory ammo?"
Reloads and several rounds into his box.....
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member