1931 Izhevsk mosin with imperial eagle?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
srtjeeplover95

1931 Izhevsk mosin with imperial eagle?

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Just curious? Why does this 1931 have an imperial eagle on the reciever? Wasn't that done after the communist revolution. Is this fairly valuable? Never saw one like this

Local gun shop has this 5 mins from my house . they do all milsurps guns. I'm not selling it just to clarify

All matching they are asking $400

Thanks all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by srtjeeplover95 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SA1911a1

Re: 1931 Izhevsk mosin with imperial eagle?

Post by SA1911a1 »

If you pull the stock off, you will see the original date on the receiver tang. I don't think it adds much value to the rifle unless it is an antique. I think that $400.00 is a little steep for that, but I haven't been keeping up with the pricing either. More experienced hands are sure to chime in.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

An older receiver, obviously, was used to built that rifle. I don't know why. I was trying to find info, but couldn't without really digging further. I will post a link to a site that may provide info on recycled receivers. It is a very useful, informative site.

https://www.m9130.info/reference-sectio ... F4C_N0Gi5w
Mosin Fanboy
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The commies ran everything on a shoestring budget, things like receivers are expensive to manufacture and will last much longer than the rest of the rifle. As rifles were damaged, or became an obsolete style they would save and reuse any parts on it that were still in spec. The receivers from Mosins made before 1900 could show up on an M44 made 50 years later. Not many hex receiver M44's around, but they do exist, lots of 91/30's can be found with earlier receivers. Do they sell for $400 now? I don't know, I bought lots of them at under a hundred bucks, including ones with earlier receivers. That was then, times never to be seen again, these days maybe that's what they go for, others who buy today may chime in with more up to date pricing information.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
neal45

Post by neal45 »

I bought a 1945 M44 years ago and still have it. It is on a 1928 hex receiver.
Finns recycled lot of hexes. I only have two M39s, both are 1946 and both are on hex receivers. One is dated 1897 and one is 1905.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Yeah, take your screw driver to the shop and check the tang date on the receiver. Could be an antique and this could add a little value and render an FFL transfer mute. Well, probably not for that shop... But, who knows. One thing for sure, based on today's prices it's overpriced by $100. And, it's not unusual to find 91/30's or carbines with older receivers. I used to have about 5 M-44's with hex receivers and a couple war years 91/30's - even an M-38.
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

I have a 1926 Izhevsk ex-Dragoon that has a tang date of 1926 but I am convinced it is an earlier receiver as it has a partial stamp on the top of the tang that looks nearly identical to a stamp on the tang of my N.E.W and there is a "dimple" on top of the receiver where it feels like the Imperial eagle has been ground off and the Soviet crest stamped over the top.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:05 pm If you pull the stock off, you will see the original date on the receiver tang. I don't think it adds much value to the rifle unless it is an antique. I think that $400.00 is a little steep for that, but I haven't been keeping up with the pricing either. More experienced hands are sure to chime in.
Plain round receivers have been getting $400-500 on GB. For 3 or more months now. Add shipping and transfer.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"